Can I just buy the SRAM XX1 Eagle AXS "upgrade kit" for my Trek Rail 7?

PumpinIron

Apr 17, 2020
Florence, AZ
I'm curious, can I simply buy the SRAM XX1 Eagle AXS upgrade kit for my Trek Rail 7 (which is bone stock), or do I need the complete group set? When looking at upgrades, I saw there are two:

SRAM XX1 Eagle AXS Upgrade Kit | Jenson USA

and this one:

SRAM X01 Eagle AXS Upgrade Kit - 52T Max | Jenson USA

The only difference I can see is the second one says it's for cassettes that have a maximum cog of 52T, whereas the first one doesn't say anything about that at all. Just trying to get the right info before I make a purchase. Hoping some of you guys can tell me what I need.

speedkills

May 17, 2020
Boulder, CO
If you have a 12 speed cassette, sram or shimano, then the answer is yes. The only difference in the kits is that one of the derailleurs has a fake plastic carbon fiber cap on it that lasts about 1 day.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
As @speedkills says the only difference is the rear derailleur cage has a carbon outer instead of the aluminium used on the X01. My preference is to use the X01 as you can bend aluminium back into shape if necessary and I'm not worried about a 13gm penalty.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Yes that's correct, I think there is an issue if the original RD is Shimano that is solved by swapping to a hanger designed for Sram but you obviously don't have that problem. You'll need to be careful to get the chain length correct as you'll be gaining 8 teeth on the largest cog and possibly a different length cage on the RD.

How about blanks for the shifter cable if it goes through the frame at the moment, (though tape can be used to blank off and tidy the holes)?

Currently the best price I can find is from Bike24 in Germany

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
Sorry if this is a dopey question, but can you run AXS on 11 speed SRAM cassette? Or does it need eagle 12 speed, which is a bit much for my levo.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Sorry if this is a dopey question, but can you run AXS on 11 speed SRAM cassette? Or does it need eagle 12 speed, which is a bit much for my levo.
The AXS RD is designed to operate with the spacing of 12 gears so even if you forced it to stop it's movement with the limit screws I think it wouldn't shift very well.
Why do you think having one extra cog is too much for your Levo?

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
The AXS RD is designed to operate with the spacing of 12 gears so even if you forced it to stop it's movement with the limit screws I think it wouldn't shift very well.
Why do you think having one extra cog is too much for your Levo?
It’s more the cost of the upgrade kit circa £600 and a new cassette on top to go 12 speed. Also with the riding I do up Cannock chase, Llandegla, I‘d rarely use the 50t. But better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
It’s more the cost of the upgrade kit circa £600 and a new cassette on top to go 12 speed. Also with the riding I do up Cannock chase, Llandegla, I‘d rarely use the 50t. But better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Wait till you need to replace the cassette and chain anyway then decide?

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
Wait till you need to replace the cassette and chain anyway then decide?
i did that 200 miles ago...doh. So the cain will be dead in another month. So maybe ill do it then. Just costed it, upgrade kit axs, cassette chain £835. Wow ?

PumpinIron

Apr 17, 2020
Florence, AZ
If you have a 12 speed cassette, sram or shimano, then the answer is yes. The only difference in the kits is that one of the derailleurs has a fake plastic carbon fiber cap on it that lasts about 1 day.

So this should be all I need then?

My bike does indeed have a 12-speed Shimano cassette.

PumpinIron

Apr 17, 2020
Florence, AZ
LordGun is telling me this:

Dear Chris,

thank you for contacting us.

By upgrading you would need to change the cassette, chain and chainring as the derailleur and shifter will not work as smoothly on the shimano cassette.

In order to change the cassette you would need to change the freehub from shimano microspline to Sram XD, only a trek dealer will sell the specific XD freehub needed (we do not stock these).

You currently have an Ethirteen crank with Ethirteen shimano compatible chainring, you would need to check if this will be compatible with a sram chain.

These X01 crank arms on our website is not compatible with the bosch motor mounted on the e-bike. If you want to change the cranks you need to get a specific e-crank.

So you need the following if you would like to upgrade;

XD freehub, chain, cassette, derailleur, shifter, Ethirteen sram 12s chainring.

I trust this this is of some help and remain available for any further assistance.

renedis

Jul 17, 2019
The Hague
Any idea if that ship to the uk?
As far as I know, yes.
If you need help shipping, I can help you out. But I can’t tell if that saves you money in the end.

The owner of that company is from Poland living in the Netherlands. He is also the distributor of the brand Antidote. he speaks English.

PumpinIron

Apr 17, 2020
Florence, AZ
Well, no response to my previous question so I just ordered the entire groupset and the new hub I needed to convert from Shimano microspline to SRAM.

I kept getting conflicting information, so this ought to do the trick.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles