Can I install a power tube Bosch battery on a bike with no lock?

Feb 5, 2019
Wales
I have no idea.

Plus, I would like to know what the difference is between a vertical or horizontal battery. The specifications I have looked at on certain bikes do not list whether they take either.

Do I need one of these?

Last edited:

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Plus, I would like to know what the difference is between a vertical or horizontal battery. The specifications I have looked at on certain bikes do not list whether they take either.

1611396508061.png

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I have no idea.

Do I need one of these?

Not sure what you have in mind. A Bosch Powertube has to clip into a "plug" at the bottom of the battery and a holder at the top. This holder does seem to be available separately for those who have broken them:

1611396884353.png

The lock mechanism then sits in that holder. Without the lock, the battery on my Focus falls out (as far as the catch to stop it dropping onto the floor). So, in my case, yes, the lock is essential.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Thanks, but how do I know what a bike supports without testing it or buying it?
Is there a list of what bikes have what?
What are you trying to determine?

Any bike you buy will come with the correct battery.

Are you trying to buy a future spare battery before you have the bike and therefor you know which battery it takes?

Or do you already have a bike with a (lets say) horizontal battery, and you're going to buy a new bike and want it to take the same battery so you can use both batteries in either bike?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
The part numbers (bbpxxx) for the horizontal and vertical batteries are different, the bike manufacturer sometimes list the actual part number of the battery in the specs and you can use this to determine whether it uses the horizontal or vertical battery

You'll have to Google to get the actual part numbers of each battery type, but the info is all out there.

Feb 5, 2019
Wales
The part numbers (bbpxxx) for the horizontal and vertical batteries are different, the bike manufacturer sometimes list the actual part number of the battery in the specs and you can use this to determine whether it uses the horizontal or vertical battery

You'll have to Google to get the actual part numbers of each battery type, but the info is all out there.
Tried Googling “Bosch powertube 625 battery vertical part number,” and I’m getting nothing.

Does anyone think that this oversight of not giving the state of the battery (vertical or horizontal),is ridiculous? Why couldn’t they just standardise the power tube...

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Tried Googling “Bosch powertube 625 battery vertical part number,” and I’m getting nothing.

Does anyone think that this oversight of not giving the state of the battery (vertical or horizontal),is ridiculous? Why couldn’t they just standardise the power tube...
Here's one example

The rest can be found here

Feb 5, 2019
Wales
Here's one example

The rest can be found here

Ok I found the code which is BDU2XX, but it’s the same for both batteries!

a

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles