Can I change the handlebar switch on my Shimano steps e8000.

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
I seem to be prone to weird things going wrong... with my car, house and ebikes. I'll keep this post to the latter, this time on my 2018 MetPower Race Fox.

The other day I stopped to drag a trail-blocking branch away, but after laying my bike down, my shoelace loop caught on what I thought was the handlebar grip. Like a fool, I yanked my foot away and heard a "click."

Upon closer examination, I'd caught my lace on the old-school e8000 Switch Shifter. I keep it tight enough to keep from spinning when clicking, but loose enough to spin when caught on something, which it did. I spun it back over and rode on.

A mile or so later, I came upon a hill that required shifting from Eco to Trail, but it wouldn't change. I spun the switch back upside-down, and saw that the bottom cover had come off, leaving the innards exposed (pic below). It was dry, so I figured I'd pulled it apart enough to break the connection, but I couldn't get it to work.

I went back to the fallen branch site and spent a good half hour carefully turning leaves over where I'd laid the bike down. No luck. I tried pulling the plugs and re-installing them, but that only succeeded in turning assist off, so I rode home unassisted.

Last year I caught this thread and decided to try the e7000 switch with an under-bar dropper lever. It was fine, but I actually preferred the original setup and went back after a few months. To me, it's more natural to use it like a front derailleur, and I'd gotten used to the above-bar dropper lever, too.

I can be lazy sometimes, and really didn't feel like changing both the dropper lever and the assist switch, so this is my setup going forward. Laugh all you want, but with the hills I have around here and my age and health issues, I spend 80+% of my ride time in Trail mode so I don't really use the switch all that much.

I took the bike out for a nice shred yesterday, and really didn't mind the more-distant reach to the switch. Of course the e8000 switch's price has increased significantly (supply & demand), so it may be like this awhile... (The rubber band just keeps the wire closer to the bar.)
1609340306387.png
1609340271882.png

Jacky05

Aug 7, 2021
France
Salut tout le monde.
J'ai un Shimano steps e8000 et j'aimerais changer le commutateur de guidon, que ce soit le SW-e7000 ou le SW-e6000, sera-t-il compatible avec le moteur et l'écran que j'ai ?
En ce moment j'ai le SW-e8000.
L'un d'entre vous l'a-t-il déjà modifié ?

Merci a tous
[/CITATION]
Yes no problem.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles