Can anyone recommend some pedals

T8COH

Oct 16, 2021
Dundee
Anyone recommend some pedals , I usually use DMR V12,s but wanted other peoples opinions .

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Have you looked at wiggle reviews? I have dmr, I don't know what model - they're aluminium. They have done a lot and had a lot of hits - they just work. I ended up taking all the inside pins out - I just have the outer and middle pins; they still grip like crazy. I think the inner pins would have chewed through my five tens eventually. I would buy these pedals again, but I have no idea when I'll need to 😂

T8COH

Oct 16, 2021
Dundee
Have you looked at wiggle reviews? I have dmr, I don't know what model - they're aluminium. They have done a lot and had a lot of hits - they just work. I ended up taking all the inside pins out - I just have the outer and middle pins; they still grip like crazy. I think the inner pins would have chewed through my five tens eventually. I would buy these pedals again, but I have no idea when I'll need to 😂

I have always used DMR V12 pedals with no issues just wondered if I was missing anything 😂

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I have always used DMR V12 pedals with no issues just wondered if I was missing anything 😂

I have always used the older V8’s and now the V12’s and haven’t found any pedals I prefer after trying a few so keep going back to the DMR’s

Do like the look of Burgtec MK 5’s, but at £100+ compared to £40 for the V12’s, and the fact that V12’s seem to last forever, I won’t be rushing to buy any!

The Exotic pedals from DiscoBrakes look good, but are still around £60, so an expensive gamble if they’re no better than DMR’s

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
DMR Vaults. Very similar to the V12, just lighter.
I grease them every six months or so and replace the bushes and bearings when they need it, about every 3 years or so.

I could be completely wrong, but I thought the V12 and Vault are the same peddle, same weight, just the V12 is painted (and comes off easily) whereas the Vault is anodised ?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I could be completely wrong, but I thought the V12 and Vault are the same peddle, same weight, just the V12 is painted (and comes off easily) whereas the Vault is anodised ?

I had to google search my own theory and it appears I’m wrong! Yes the V12 is painted and the Vault is anodised, but the V12 is cast alloy whereas the Vault is machined, and a slightly larger platform. Both appear to weigh around 430g

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Not unless the paint is REALLY thick. The V12 is definitely a heavier pedal.
Actually, scrub that! I have just Googled the latest designs. The V12 USED to be 20% heavier than the Vault, but the latest version brings it in at the same weight as the Vault, ie 430g. (The 20% figure may just refer to the alloy body, not clear).

But the Vault is a bigger pedal at 105x105 platform x 17mm thick, it also has 11 pins per side.
Whereas the V12 is smaller with a 100 x 95 platform x 16mm thick. The V12 has 10 pins per side.
They use the same axle and bearings as each other. Both have reversible pins, giving you long or short above the platform.

And yes, the Vault is anodised and it is very difficult to remove, but it does wear off and looks attractive.
My grandson has V12's and his are painted. The red paint is wearing away and showing white underneath.
I am not 100% sure but the aluminium alloys may be different. The Vault is definitely extruded and machined 6061, but I can't find what the V12 is made from, just says aluminium alloy. That could mean it's a cheaper alloy, maybe not, but if it was a better one wouldn't they shout about it?

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
@T8COH , not sure if you’re looking outside the “box” yet, but magnetic flats have been the answer for me for the past 3+ years. There’s a few decent manufacturers out there but it really depends on your personal preference. For me, clipless were almost impossible and flats didn’t cut it. They’re not for everyone though.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
ive been using unite pedals, really nice big, grippy platform.
completely made in the UK, here in Wales and easy to service / get spares for.
had mine well over a year and regreased them once, just bought a service kit for when they need it but so far all good.
they are well banged up from strikes too but still work great. about the same cost at vaults I think.

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
I have shimano saints, dmr v8s, ht supremes and another pair of dmr (can't think of which model exactly). They're all good. The only pair I haven't liked are Syncros that are on one of my brother's bikes. Have ridden crank brothers, one ups and others. I've rarely noticed the pedals to be a big issue for most brands.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
is it Crank Brothers Stamp 1 MTB Pedals you recommend?

If you ate choosing between cb stamp 1's and one up , I'd suggest one up - especially if you looking at composites.

The stamp doesn't quite grip as well as the one up, and it feels slightly thicker in the middle ( conves rather than concave) which some people feel causes foot pain..

If you gave even more $ to waste , the alloy one ups grip even better than their composites. Nb I prefer their composites so I can at least get my foot off occasionally .

We have bikes with all 3 in the family fleet, and I have a spare one up composite waiting to replace their alloy next time the bloody thing shreds my shins

Chrysaor

Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
I have had a few different brands, but for best grip on flats I love the Nukeproof Sam Hill Horizon Pro.
I tend to agree with that, very very happy with the Horizon Pro so far. And CRC/Nukeproof customer service is top notch, I had the Composite Neutron before that, broke 4 pairs and got a new one each time in a couple of days. I eventually upgraded to the Horizon for a peace of mind.
i also really like my Chromag Scarab but they are more expensive and are not better

Durrti

Aug 22, 2021
California
Squidworx pedals out of BC. They are composite and aluminum damn near bulletproof. They handle pedal strikes so much better than the all alloy pedals. Have easily 3k miles on them with no issues. And you can customize the colors 😎

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Regarding flats. I like the OneUp Aluminum pedal. It grips incredibly well, very sturdy and easy to maintain. If you want a very thin pedal that grips well, I like the Canfield Mountain also.

OneUp
1653141210885.png

Canfield Mountain

1653141319570.png

1653141388031.png

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
As far as flat pedals go, I don't see the need for anything fancier than Oneup composite pedals. There are thinner and lighter pedals out there, but viewed as a whole including value, grip, durability, and spare parts availability, they're top notch.

CrunchBytes

Subscriber
Oct 7, 2021
Warwick, UK
Hope flats - not the absolute grippiest, but when ebike pedals are lower and suffer more pedal strikes than normal MTBs, the pins are pretty much indestructible! The OneUp alloys are grippier (grippiest I’ve ever used!), but I have these on my Enduro bike and can’t comment on how well the hold up on an eMTB. The pins are thinner, but the whole pedal is thinner so might suffer pedal strikes less as a result.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
if you like V12’s but just want a new pedal the Vaults are basically the latest evolution of them in the DMR line up, so biting a no brainer.

If you want to try out some different pedal styles but not break the bank then I would recommend the HT PAO3 or the Deity Deftraps, both composite pedals and amongst the grippiest you will find, arguably 2 of the best pedals out there irrespective of cost and materials. Both a cost effective way of trying something different from the V12’s.

Gardcol

Dec 30, 2020
Aberdeen
DMR Vaults for me, take a beating. Tried Crank Bros Stamp 1 composite when they first came out but in the wet they were lethal, went in the bin.

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
I can recommend Chromag pedals, one of the largest platforms, very grippy and well made. Either the Scarab or even grippier Dagger. Nothing beats them I believe.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles