Cadence vs Assist

smokey_jo

Patreon
Jun 28, 2018
Uk
So am I correct in understanding that the less pressure I put on the pedals the less assistance the motor will provide?
And if so does pedalling high cadence and smooth rather than slow cadence and pushing hard on the pedals help to extend the range?

smokey_jo

Patreon
Jun 28, 2018
Uk
Mines a Shimano E8000 - my cadence tends to be low to mid eighties - might try and increase this then to eke out a bit more range

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland
So am I correct in understanding that the less pressure I put on the pedals the less assistance the motor will provide?
Yes.

But in the end I'm not so sure it makes that much difference on the range. Less pressure & less assistance => pedal longer => identical consumption?

I had done a little experiment, 1 km with 10% incline at different paces (several times).

With a Bosch motor in Eco mode.

1. slow, effortless (I produced an average of 170W and 70rpm during 399s)
2. high cadence (200W, 90rpm, 354s)
3. pushing hard on the pedals (235W, 75rpm, 300s)

But in the end the energy consumption was identical around 17Wh/km.

The only thing that had a direct impact on the consumption was the assistance mode.

smokey_jo

Patreon
Jun 28, 2018
Uk
So for 2 people and bike of equal weight on an identical route on identical bikes in the same power setting there will be little difference in how much battery is consumed regardless of pedalling effort or cadence?

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Mines a Shimano E8000 - my cadence tends to be low to mid eighties - might try and increase this then to eke out a bit more range
I think a cadence in the eighties is spot on , and that’s where the shimano is best , I don’t think you’ll get any more battery life from spinning faster than 90 , more likely to just wear yourself out faster then have to rely more on the battery . I think Efat has it correct there , wieght is the biggest factor , my battery lasts less time than a rider 20 kg lighter than me , we’ve proved that on many rides with identical bikes .

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland
So for 2 people and bike of equal weight on an identical route on identical bikes in the same power setting there will be little difference in how much battery is consumed regardless of pedalling effort or cadence?
I would think so... with a restriction: Each setting provides a maximum output and once it's reached you can push harder but the motor won't help you more. Maybe my experiment would make more sense with maximum assist?

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
I think with torque sensing motors you get better efficiencies at higher cadence as you cannot spin fast and apply high torque at the same time.
Grinding hard at lower cadence seems to really eat up the watts.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles