Cable slap

Terry

Jan 4, 2019
Hampshire
I get cable
slap at the front end of my Trance +2 when going over rough ground. Any one else experienced this? How do you stop it?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Put some zip ties around the cables where they cross each other, or run together. Leave them loose enough for the cable to slide past each other. It looks neater and stops them from flapping about. I have never needed to use more than two, and one normally does the trick. It may help with your problem.

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
I guess if you can find the point where the cables slap inside the metal frame, applying a patch of foam tape could solve it. I can cut you some small patches of armaflex tape if you like, we use it as a self-adhesive reinforced closed-cell foam lagging tape on fridge pipework, it sticks like shit to a bears fur.

Terry

Jan 4, 2019
Hampshire
Problem is you can't get in to where it is without removing the battery lock assembly and I don't really want to do that. Thanks anyway.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
OOOPS! I misunderstood the OP. I thought you meant the cables at the front of the bike. You clearly state "front end", ie internal not external. I thought it was odd, but hey, my fault! :giggle:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
if you're going to stick something inside your frame an absorbant material wouldn't be my first choice.
use motofoam or try to find the dedicated neoprene cable sleeves some manufacturers use to deaden internal cable noise.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I had cable slap of the hydraulic hose against the fork stancion on its way to the front caliper. I superglued a small piece of neoprene to the hose where it crosses the stancion. If you think it is coming from inside the frame slightly pushing or pulling the cable(s) where they enter the frame may cure it.

Terry

Jan 4, 2019
Hampshire
if you're going to stick something inside your frame an absorbant material wouldn't be my first choice.
use motofoam or try to find the dedicated neoprene cable sleeves some manufacturers use to deaden internal cable noise.
I had cable slap of the hydraulic hose against the fork stancion on its way to the front caliper. I superglued a small piece of neoprene to the hose where it crosses the stancion. If you think it is coming from inside the frame slightly pushing or pulling the cable(s) where they enter the frame may cure it.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I had cable slap of the hydraulic hose against the fork stancion on its way to the front caliper. I superglued a small piece of neoprene to the hose where it crosses the stancion.
Your brake hose should not be routed anywhere near your stanchions.
Re-route it.
A rubbing hose will wreck a stanchion in no time.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles