• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Bypassing 25 kph restriction on 2019 Levo

Max-E

Apr 30, 2019
UK
In recent discussion on the subject of running a 27.5 rear wheel in a 2019 Levo (and with huge thanks to @Maastricht for taking lots of time to explain) with regards to getting MC to read correctly then it comes down to the dealer inputting the actual circumference of the wheel.

Factory set this will be 2300mm for the stock 29” wheels.

Cut off will be approx 2300/2300*25k = 25kph

If 27.5” wheel then circumference would be say 2100 so (if original setting of 2300 remains) cut off is 2100/2300*25 = approx 23kph

Obviously if dealer sets circumference at 2100 then all will be well and cut off restored to 25kph.

So, to finally get to the point :) dealers can set circumference to minimum 2000 and with 29er wheels this would see 28kph or 17.5 mph cut off.

Hmmmm, anyone taken advantage of this on the 2019 models for use on private land etc?

208rider

May 22, 2019
Boise, Idaho
There has to be more settings available at dealers because the ones over here in the states don't cut off until 20mph.
I've wondered if there is a simple dealer software setting that changes speed cutoff

Max-E

Apr 30, 2019
UK
I don't know? You are the only one to reply - I thought many others in the EU would have taken advantage of this. I am not sure what the dealer has to do or connect to facilitate the change but if anyone else who has had it done can chime in? :)

Max-E

Apr 30, 2019
UK
you cant change the circumference in the software anymore on the LEVO. the 2019 have a new software version that disallows this completely.

Who told you this please? Yes, we know the owner cannot change in in MC but according to the Blevo guys @PaoloBLEvo @Maastricht the dealer can still change the circumference to a minimum of 2000.

If this has been removed then that is very silly as assuming a blanket 2300 circumference takes no notice of the big difference in size of various 29er rear tyres let alone anyone wanting to run plus or even regular 27.5. In all cases the speed, distance data and cut off on Mission Control will be very inaccurate.

Are you sure you are not just talking about the option of the user changing it in MC??

Max-E

Apr 30, 2019
UK
I think you're missing the point and maybe getting confused with the user being allowed to set the circumference (no longer possible) and the dealer doing it (still possible).

Not sure why you would need or want assistance at anything approaching 34 mph?? - you'd probably be spinning out long before and the limited power of an eMTB will struggle hugely with wind resistance at anything close to that speed on the flat meaning a tiny range.

I think like many we just want a sensible speed limit of 20 mph to allow the motor to assist up to typical flat off road sections when 17/18 mph or so is a common speed with riders of a decent level.

If you want to go 34 mph buy a moped. ;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles