Byclex kicker ramp v MTB Hopper

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Afternoon all

So, I’ve been teaching my other half to ride mtb’s ever since I bought my first emtb back in December last year and she’s doing really well. One of our local trails has a 3ft drop / jump on a steep descent which means if we hit it at speed she’ll be flying through the air downhill for around 30ft before trying to land in between narrow trees and on to rocks and roots. I don’t think she’s quite ready for that yet! (Neither am I to be fair!)

So ... considering buying the Byclex kicker ramp, which looks just like the MTB Hopper light ramp, even made in the same town in Lithuania, but half the price. We can practice jumps anywhere locally and have a right laugh in the process

Question is, has anyone bought direct from Byclex and how is the quality of their ramps ? Also wondered how much I’m likely to be hit for import duties &‘ VAT etc but that’s not a major issue really

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Sod it, just bought one. You only live once and all that. I’ll report on the quality after sending myself over it a few times!

If anyone is interested, the cost was just over £135, the UK VAT limit, so I messaged Byclex and asked them if they’d sell it a little cheaper so it falls below £135, which they did, so no VAT to pay. Don’t think I have to pay any import duty from Lithuania to UK either, so all good ??

conman

Jun 1, 2019
Keswick
I'll be interested to hear your opinions so watching this thread. Being pretty rubbish at jumping I could set it up at the park and crash land in relative comfort.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It feels like I'm just wasting my breath everytime I offer my Euro delivery service ... You buy it, have it delivered to me ... Done .. Simple ! Tax free ! :)

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I'll be interested to hear your opinions so watching this thread. Being pretty rubbish at jumping I could set it up at the park and crash land in relative comfort.

yeah I’m looking forward to taking it to various locations and seeing how far we can fly!

we were scouting our local area today looking for decent take offs / landings for the ramp. We have an ancient Neolithic burial mound near us that’ll be perfect for take offs, plus it’s quite gnarly to shred some old English heritage ?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Lithuania is in the EU and I would think those ramps meet the rules of origin criterea so there should be no import tariff.
PS your 3ft drop ( love the fact you use imperial measures!!) is either a drop or a step down (jump) depending on where/how far you want or need to land. If there is a decent landing near the drop she does not need to jump it.
I was looking at portable ramps and found a third contender called Jumpack which you may want to take a look at as well.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Lithuania is in the EU and I would think those ramps meet the rules of origin criterea so there should be no import tariff.
PS your 3ft drop ( love the fact you use imperial measures!!) is either a drop or a step down (jump) depending on where/how far you want or need to land. If there is a decent landing near the drop she does not need to jump it.
I was looking at portable ramps and found a third contender called Jumpack which you may want to take a look at as well.

Looks great that Jumpack ramp but already purchased the Byclex one now, thanks. And yeah, it’s a 1m drop but I called it a 3ft so as not to upset the average demographic of this forum ;-)

D

Deleted member 7464

I have the mtb hopper coach and it's a lot of fun.it does help a lot when you start out jumping.my Mrs loves using it as she is just learning

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
The Byclex Kicker ramp has landed!

No problems with customs / VAT or import duties, DHL delivered exactly when they’re tracking software said they would

Won’t get a chance to test it out until the weekend and then I’ll send myself to the moon or Mars on it and report how the journey was!

0206D062-BF3B-43AD-80F2-059B65AFBB0C.jpeg

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Afternoon all

Now then, took the kicker ramp out for a blast yesterday afternoon. Bit of a bitch to get the straps on your back by yourself but easy to ride with on your bike. Took the ramp to a business park as figured it’d be void of people on a Saturday afternoon and full of grass banks / verges etc with tarmac paths to use as a speedy run up

The kicker ramp can be used either as a full transition with a lip height of around 500mm, or as a mini straight ramp with a height of only around 200mm. Sounds small, but it’s good for a warm up and to get the bike in the air without any fear of death

The ramp is simple to put together, takes about two minutes, and then your’e up & running. Built nice and solid, takes around 200kg in weight so is strong enough for my fat ass & heavy bike

Admittedly we spent most of the time using the ramp in it’s mini mode as we were having a right blast, and as she’s learning from complete scratch it was a good confidence builder. When we built the full kicker though and sent it, it’s a whole different story! 500mm height doesn’t sound much but you know you’ve come off it as soon as the front wheel leaves the lip. I kept nose diving for some reason and landing hard. We videoed each other on our phones to work out what we were doing wrong and I can see I had my weight far too back over the rear wheel, which meant I was loading up the rear shock and getting full rebound as it left the lip, which in turn sends the front wheel down. She was on my hardtail, and had much better trajectory & landings although her feet kept coming off the pedals

It’s definitely going to be a learning curve jumping off a transition, but that’s why I bought it. No injuries yesterday but bucked a couple of times and landed on my nuts :)

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I wasn’t going to share this as it’s slightly embarrassing putting a ‘learning’ vid up on a public forum but sod it. We mainly filmed the mini ramp so didn’t get many shots of sending the full kicker, and only one of me bucking! Anyway, here’s the ramp receiving some EMTB’s!

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
I wasn’t going to share this as it’s slightly embarrassing putting a ‘learning’ vid up on a public forum but sod it. We mainly filmed the mini ramp so didn’t get many shots of sending the full kicker, and only one of me bucking! Anyway, here’s the ramp receiving some EMTB’s!

Good effort and looked fun. I would be expecting some Merch from Teleware quite soon now the video is viral

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Good learning tool. Persevere with the kicker!! A short kicker is always sketchy.........aim to go high ( head up), not flat, and release the squat earlier than you think...is my advice for what its worth!!

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore

I'm not sure about the duty situation.
Looking at the ridiculously confusing .gov website there's potentially some duty to pay depending on the 'commodity code'. I've got no idea where to find what the code would be, or if it applies. It's a ridiculous minefield and a right mess

I'm looking to buy the MTB Hopper Coach Double Bridge for the lad and his mates to learn jumps with, but it seems nobody in the UK has adequate stock to create the double bridge setup, so I've been looking at buying it directly from MTB Hopper, but I don't want to get stiffed for admin etc (which, by rights, should be included in the quoted price of shipping since it's an essential part of the shipping process).

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I'm not sure about the duty situation.
Looking at the ridiculously confusing .gov website there's potentially some duty to pay depending on the 'commodity code'. I've got no idea where to find what the code would be, or if it applies. It's a ridiculous minefield and a right mess

I'm looking to buy the MTB Hopper Coach Double Bridge for the lad and his mates to learn jumps with, but it seems nobody in the UK has adequate stock to create the double bridge setup, so I've been looking at buying it directly from MTB Hopper, but I don't want to get stiffed for admin etc (which, by rights, should be included in the quoted price of shipping since it's an essential part of the shipping process).
Dont know about the Hopper but when I bought the Byclex kicker there was nothing more to pay.
Dont think you need anything more than a single ramp if its portable because you can use it together with natural features to create step ups, flat or down slope landing zones etc. Table tops are a bit more difficult to create like that...but then when did you last encounter a tabletop on a natural trail?

If you want to find out the situation with the MTB Hopper company just ask them if the price quoted includes VAT and if the goods are rated at zero duty in the "rules of origin". ( if the product is wholly or mainly sourced by value within the EU the duty is zero).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles