Buying new or used , pitfalls ?

Funky Bolly

Nov 10, 2018
Newport wales
Hi , in new year I'm going to buy a Kenevo .I'm 100% sure it's the bike I want/need but I'm not sure weather to buy new or used. Buying new brings all the piece of mind regarding warranty ,bike condition history and recalls . Buying Used I can save money to upgrade components e.g. Brakes, wheels etc but what about the battery/motor failing ? Will Specialized honour its parts warranty ? Can anyone help , your opinions will be greatly welcome cheers .

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You should do the usual checks as per any used bike, e.g has suspension been serviced if a lot of mile put on bike etc.

My main concern would actually be how well the "normal' parts of the bike have been maintained, as EMTB's put more strain on things like cassettes, chains, brakes, wheel bearings etc. So if you are buying a bike with say 500 miles on it, and its still running all the original parts, I would factor in that you are looking at replacing some of them fairly soon, especially if it has been derestricted at any stage.

With regards to the motor and battery, the seller should be a able to provide diagnostic from the mission control app showing the health of the battery, and I would try and get confirmation that any remaining warranty will be honoured by the shop that sold it/Specilized.

Generally speaking the motor itself is either working, or not working, there isn't really an in-between state with E-Bikes. As the Kenevo doesn't have a display to show faults, you will definitely ant the seller to log onto Mission Control with you there to show the status of the system, rather than rely on a photo.

Taiga

Sep 6, 2018
Canada
Hi , in new year I'm going to buy a Kenevo .I'm 100% sure it's the bike I want/need but I'm not sure weather to buy new or used. Buying new brings all the piece of mind regarding warranty ,bike condition history and recalls . Buying Used I can save money to upgrade components e.g. Brakes, wheels etc but what about the battery/motor failing ? Will Specialized honour its parts warranty ? Can anyone help , your opinions will be greatly welcome cheers .
If you buy a used 2018 kenevo and that this bike has been bought new after July 1 2018, than Specialized transfers the warranty. I'm pretty sure this new policy applies world wide.

Funky Bolly

Nov 10, 2018
Newport wales
Thanks everyone who replied , reguarding mission control will it show how many charges the battery has done or the battery condition is good enough ? Once again I'm very greatfull for all replies.

bissona

Patreon
Oct 14, 2018
Guernsey
Apologies, can't help with Mission Control, but I would probably budget to buy a spare/replacement battery, for any s/h bike over 12-18 months old, at some point in the first year after purchase. It's not that the battery is likely to be 'dead', more that the 10%-20% loss in capacity may prove noticeable, particularly if riding with friends with similar bikes/range.

Of course you may have been thinking of doing that anyway, lots of folk on here have more than one battery, so your 'old' battery could just become your spare.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles