Levo SL Gen 1 Buying a used Specialize Levo SL Expert carbon

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Today I was going to drive 150 miles to pick up my used 2021 Specialized Levo SL Expert. I was very excited about this but wanted to insure I had the remaining 1 year plus warranty on the battery, motor and TCU. A failure of those is very expensive. A trip to my local dealer (took two trips) revealed that the serial number DID NOT show up in their system...bummer. Probably never registered? OK, no big deal and a call to Specialized found that they needed a photo of the serial number which the seller was going to send me after Christmas. I also had a partial copy of the original receipt (was covered by a staple cash register receipt) for this bike with 650 miles and on it's 2nd owner, purchased Sept 2021. A call to the original selling dealer raised further issues since the block where the serial number should be was left blank and the amount showed about a $500. discount which the deal said they NEVER do. They advised me to NOT buy the bike because it was probably "hot".

OK maybe someone screwed up on the original sale (being optimistic) so the seller agreed to also send me the complete copy of the original receipt to show the shop. I think I could have resolved all of this on Monday and the picked the bike up on Tuesday as long as this bike was not "hot".

But Sunday the seller marked the bike sold! Hmmm, maybe because I was going to buy it? Maybe the bike is "hot"? Maybe he found a buyer that didn't care about the warranty on the motor/battery/tcu? I will never know. The seller went dark on me and chose to be passive aggressive. I did have his phone and texted him only once and once here at pinkbike to find out...did not want to bug him. I really had my heart set on this bike, bought pedals, shock volume spacer kit, transferred cash from one bank to another and withdrew the cash. I even lined up a partner to drive up with me! In short I did all the work really to make this right but got "Punked on Pinkbike", lol. Maybe I dodged a bullet or maybe I missed an incredible deal (good price and excellent condition too) but I will never know. So keep in mind that you can have a 2 yr total warranty on the motor/battery/tcu on Specialized bikes but it MUST be registered and you must have a valid original receipt. Buyer beware and do your due diligence! Hope this helps someone out there. Now back to looking for a nice 2021 Levo SL Expert Carbon...no rush since I have a Focus Jam2 C now. Thanks

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Yes. Original receipt needed . Otherwise spesh will screw you. Yes that sounded very dodgy. Dodged a bullet me thinks .
Yes on further reflection I agree. Found another one with a few scratches on the back triangle but plum color carbon, not expert with some nice upgrades. This one is not registered either and original owner is a bike mech who agree to fix the receipt and registration for us before I go see the bike. It's also less money and lighter. I am surprised how many are out there unregistered, fairly new and no receipt.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles