Buying a new e-bike in the U.K.

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Mine is specialized so under 2 years is still under warranty. Not the end of the world if / when at some point you have to replace one or the other. If you are commuting on it, surely saving money that would have been spent on car/train?

info from Spesh:

"Turbo batteries have a warranty for 2 years or 300 charge cycles—whichever comes first. "

mine's currently on 22 charge cycles, 6 months old. Not quite sure how it calculates top ups from 50% > 100% etc though.? is that 1 cycle or half?

It's half a charge cycle.

baldiebenty

Jun 30, 2020
Gloucester
Yep, Idea is to get rid of a motorbike that I solely use for commuting to and from the office. I used to ride for fun too but now MTB has overtaken that.

Only 300 Cycles is a little concerning though, as I assume I'd be charging daily with trips to the office 3-4 times a week once we're back + mid-week pleasure rides in the lighter months and Sundays pretty much year round.

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
A charge cycle is the *equivalent* of a 0-100% recharge. So topping up every work day does not count as 5 full recharge cycles.

You'll be getting at least 40 miles per charge commuting, probably more. My worst case mileage on a 500Wh battery is 35 miles (all off road, lots of hills).

So, 40 miles per charge cycle, 300 charges in warranty = 12,000 miles! That's a lot of miles for the lifetime of the bike, let alone the battery!

baldiebenty

Jun 30, 2020
Gloucester
Fair point, my commute would be fairly flat with no hills that give me a problem on a non e-bike as I have used a G170S for the same journey so not exactly a light-weight. I'm looking for an e-bike in a similar category to the G170 as it fits the riding I enjoy so well.

Trying to cover the bases before I commit and spend the money.

MadsB

May 15, 2020
London
Fair point, my commute would be fairly flat with no hills that give me a problem on a non e-bike as I have used a G170S for the same journey so not exactly a light-weight. I'm looking for an e-bike in a similar category to the G170 as it fits the riding I enjoy so well.

Trying to cover the bases before I commit and spend the money.
Have you looked at the Whyte emtbs? The E180 might be what you are looking for?

MadsB

May 15, 2020
London
Trust me, I'm looking at everything. o_O
I know the feeling, took me a good few months to decide, then by the time I did there were none left. I had decided on a Trek Rail 5, but it was going to be many months wait. But I got the Whyte a week later. Very happy I must say. Good luck!

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
The unfortunate truth is that it's a terrible time to get a good deal - demand is high and stock is short. Unless you are desperate enough to pay RRP it's probably a good moment to sit on your money and wait for supply to pickup in the Autumn...

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
The unfortunate truth is that it's a terrible time to get a good deal - demand is high and stock is short. Unless you are desperate enough to pay RRP it's probably a good moment to sit on your money and wait for supply to pickup in the Autumn...

And wait for those ebikes sold during the sunny weather to appear on eBay in a few months time.

N9VNS

Jun 26, 2020
South Wales
And wait for those ebikes sold during the sunny weather to appear on eBay in a few months time.

I was about to pull the trigger on an ebike few weeks ago but I’ve decided to hold off for now. Loads of ebikes that people bought on the whim during early days of the pandemic are already starting to pop up on ebay and facebook. I’m going to stick with my non ebike for a couple more months and either buy a barely used second hand one or try and get a deal on a 2020 model when the 2021’s come out. Assuming there will be some 2020 models left because at this rate there won’t be many.

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
Yup and then you have the risk of compromising on what you really want and end up doing the same

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England

I respectfully disagree, and while we are still in EU single market, I ordered new eMTB online from the EU.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I respectfully disagree, and while we are still in EU single market, I ordered new eMTB online from the EU.
You are right that prices are likely to rise in the new year, but right now there are very few bikes to buy full stop. If you can find what you want and it is in stock then go for it, but most people are going to struggle to do that at the present time.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Check with your LBS or preferred store. Quite a few shops accept the Halfords Cycle 2 Work vouchers. You're not restricted to Halfords group.

J200George

Jun 14, 2020
Glasgow United Kingdom
Check with your LBS or preferred store. Quite a few shops accept the Halfords Cycle 2 Work vouchers. You're not restricted to Halfords group.
Thanks all, I am going to look into it. I think the max I can claim though is £1000 and I’d be looking at a full fat Levo. Not quite sure how that works.

MadsB

May 15, 2020
London
Thanks all, I am going to look into it. I think the max I can claim though is £1000 and I’d be looking at a full fat Levo. Not quite sure how that works.
If your employer has a consumer credit licence the limit is £10k I think.

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
You are right that prices are likely to rise in the new year, but right now there are very few bikes to buy full stop. If you can find what you want and it is in stock then go for it, but most people are going to struggle to do that at the present time.

Sadly that is true, CV19 has disrupted global supply-chains and plays havoc with small/mid companies cash-flow. This is why many firms focus on local markets (faster inventory velocity) and exports are limited to left-overs that are not sold to committed local buyers.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles