Buy the 22 Rail 9 or wait for the 9.8XT?

bulldognz

Dec 14, 2021
Auckland, New Zealand
Hi all, still on the market for my first ebike. I'm pretty close to grabbing a 22 Rail 9 (only other bike I'm looking at is a 22 alloy comp levo). The biggest issue in New Zealand is stock availability. Ideally I wanted the 9.8 XT but they're not here till June / July. There is stock of the Rail 9 here right now. I'm really wondering if I should wait. Other than the carbon frame and new bosch gubbins is there a big difference? I've done a compare on the website but it doesn't talk geos etc. Was wondering if the flip chip things were on the standard Rail 9 also. Here's the specs Rail 9 | Trek Bikes (NZ)

Screenshot 2022-01-09 085413.png

HowardM

Jan 5, 2022
Chesterfield
From what I can tell the 22 9.8XT will have the revised frame (quite a bit longer) to make room for the 750wh Bosch Smart system battery. Everything else looks very similar. The 9.7 and below sticks with the current geo and Bosch kit.
If you want more range and don’t mind the considerable extra heft from the battery or would like your bike to have increased reach then hold on for the 9.8.

If you can’t see yourself needing the extra range, fancy a lighter bike, want to save some cash and get out riding sooner go with the 9.

bulldognz

Dec 14, 2021
Auckland, New Zealand
From what I can tell the 22 9.8XT will have the revised frame (quite a bit longer) to make room for the 750wh Bosch Smart system battery. Everything else looks very similar. The 9.7 and below sticks with the current geo and Bosch kit.
If you want more range and don’t mind the considerable extra heft from the battery or would like your bike to have increased reach then hold on for the 9.8.

If you can’t see yourself needing the extra range, fancy a lighter bike, want to save some cash and get out riding sooner go with the 9.

Yeah I'm %90 convinced I'm going to just jump in and start riding and I won't need the bigger battery just yet.

HowardM

Jan 5, 2022
Chesterfield
That’s certainly what I’d do. The revised geo is worth looking at too. If you’re not used to bikes with big reach numbers or don’t like riding them the shorter current bike could be a winner.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I've got a Rail & def wouldn't want it any longer. I find the sort of riding I do a bigger battery isn't that preferable & since bikes are selling so quick & wait times are being pushed out I'd suggest grab that bike.
We're still waiting for the Meridas to land so know what it's like to lose riding time over summer.

Nato

Jan 10, 2020
Australia
If i were you i'd get the Rail 9. I have a 2022 9.8 on order but i'm probably going to cancel it. I just think the new models will be too long and a bit top heavy with the longer battery, for the tighter single trails i like to ride.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
I’d jump in now and get an extra 5-6 months of riding. Anything could happen between now and July.
You might end up being perfectly happy with the 9 but if not you could always sell it and buy a 9.8 in the future, Rails seem to hold their money well.

Kaitan

Jan 10, 2022
Sydney
Hi all, still on the market for my first ebike. I'm pretty close to grabbing a 22 Rail 9 (only other bike I'm looking at is a 22 alloy comp levo). The biggest issue in New Zealand is stock availability. Ideally I wanted the 9.8 XT but they're not here till June / July. There is stock of the Rail 9 here right now. I'm really wondering if I should wait. Other than the carbon frame and new bosch gubbins is there a big difference? I've done a compare on the website but it doesn't talk geos etc. Was wondering if the flip chip things were on the standard Rail 9 also. Here's the specs Rail 9 | Trek Bikes (NZ)

View attachment 79583
You know what is funny...i've just post on FB Trek Rail asking the exact same question yesterday and my post is exactly this "
Hi all,
I have a dilemma, recently just bought a 22 rail 9 and found out a few shortcomings of the bike ie smaller battery, same geo as 21 model are the main thing.
Now my dilemma is currently the 9.8XT is only available in July 2022 based on the ETA from trek.
The 9 vs 9.8 price is only $1300 AUD difference. This is my only bike.
My question is should I just return the 9 (under 30 days satisfaction guarantee store policy)and place an order for the 9.8xt and wait for 6-7 month and get a temporary used emtb or just be happy with my 9?
FYI I’m in Australia. This is my first brand new bike.
Thanks
"

I think I have found my answer. I'm still in the dilemma but I think I roughly know what I will do and it all depends on what Trek says tomorrow on the 30 days bike guarantee policy.

I think I will upgrade, the reason is this I'm spending an additional $1200 AUD for Carbon Handlebars, Bigger Battery and More updated GEO, Getting XT from GX Eagle(prefer Shimano brakes) and it's a carbon frame. The main reason why I got a new bike is because of warranty especially the frame and Motor. If you add the cost in total you are essentially getting a better bike with better value plus carbon will be worth more later down the track when you sell it.

I'll also tell you a reason why I will not do it I have to wait for 6-7 months before I get a bike and in the mean time I've got nothing to ride unless i buy a temporary used bike. Mainly the wait.

Hopefully that will give you some inside or at least better judgement which way you would go.

Thanks
Troy

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I have covered 1300KM + on the 2021 Rail and 450Km on the 2022 9.9 AXS with 750Wh battery. Here's some points that may help:
  • Newer geo really is a byproduct of the 750Wh battery. Its not necessarily better, just longer. Rest of the geo is pretty much identical.
  • You might not fit well on the new bike. There are big differences between sizes. I'm actually going to size down for my own bike that is on order.
  • The 2021 Rail still is brilliant. Rides very very well.
  • The biggest draw to the new 2022 bike is the 750Wh battery. Its 20% extra range and that's a pretty big deal to me.
  • Also, the additional feature that I hope Bosch will introduce for the smart system. Mapping being a big one.
There's not a lot of differences that what's listed above IMO!

All that said, I sold my 2021 and have ordered a 2022 9.8XT with 750Wh Bosch Smart!

Last edited:

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
And you can mullet the 2022 9.8. It takes both 29” and 27.5” rear wheel. It sounds like a bit of a pain to change as you have to go to bike shop the change the “setting” for the different tyre

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I've got a 2020 9.8 and ordered 2022 9.8.
Want that bigger battery

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
I have a 2022 on order as well. It would be great to have a smaller and lighter battery for the everyday rides. Any info if they are making those?

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
And you can mullet the 2022 9.8. It takes both 29” and 27.5” rear wheel. It sounds like a bit of a pain to change as you have to go to bike shop the change the “setting” for the different tyre
Isn’t it the same system as the 2020/2021 bikes, ie the minolink?

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Same system, but the earlier bikes are not made with this in mind. It’s just to change the geometry. They are not designed to have a 27.5 rear wheel

Out of interest, which measurements will be changed to allow the mullet on the 2022, chainstay is exactly the same, bb height is very very similar, i'm not sure what exactly matters though?

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
Out of interest, which measurements will be changed to allow the mullet on the 2022, chainstay is exactly the same, bb height is very very similar, i'm not sure what exactly matters though?
Not quite sure. But at least you would get speed sensor trouble with the previous rail if you put a 27.5” on I presume

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Not quite sure. But at least you would get speed sensor trouble with the previous rail if you put a 27.5” on I presume
Not at all, I did mullet my 2020 ages ago, i really liked how it rode but it was too low for where I ride. There was no issues with the speed sensor but you can get you wheel size changed by a Bosch dealer if necessary.

Scott from Aus

Dec 15, 2021
Aus
To give you a rough idea on battery usage on a 22 Rail 9 my last ride was 55km, 1100m elevation gained using mainly tour with about 20% eco and battery is down to 40%.
3 hours moving time, add another hour of talking sh!t.. I'm finding the battery lasts well and truly long enough for me

Mar 11, 2020

View attachment 79583
Having ridden and tested both extensively, if I was spending my own cash, I'd likely get the "older" geometry as that's the biggest issue for me. I do like the longer range of the 720, there are some slight improvements in how it handles super high speed chunder, but the shorter reach numbers make the bike a lot more fun, snappy and easier to get off the ground. The new bike is sweet, I just think Trek may have gone the way of Norco and polarized the bike and alienated riders who don't want the "BC" ultra long treatment.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles