Brose DIY build

JAOK

Jan 6, 2021
Netherlands
Hi,

This is where I will be posting updates of the build of a 140mm travel carbon E-MTB frame.

I started to look for a frame with a Bafang M500 motor, but the frames I liked could only fit a 450 Wh and that is simply not enough.
a 600Wh also fits but I found out that it sticks 2cm out of the down tube. So it ruins the look of the bike, at least that is my opinion.

In the end I went for the same frame my collegue just finished building. A full carbon frame designed for a full brose e-bike kit constisting out of a 630Wh battery, Mag S motor and everything else that is needed from brose to get in driveable.

With a little bit of luck the frame will be delivered in May, and will then be sent to a paintshop. At the moment I'm collecting parts and am busy coming up with a paint scheme, meaning a lot of photoshop to find something i like and will like for some time to come.

This is the frameset I ordered in L/XL
Comes with a Rockshox trunion select + shock

image1433.png

Parts I have so far:
Rockshox Pike ultimate 140mm travel
Magura MT 7 pro
Magura Storm centerlock 203mm rotors (plan was to use my DTSwiss XM1501 for my Neuron, not sure if they are allowed for E-MTBs)
Sram XO gripshift
Sram GX 11-speed rearderailleur

On order
Novatec Diabo XL 29 wheelset (needs 6 bolts rotors)
M-wave 40mm stem ( for starters)
M-wave 78mm bar (for staters)
M-wave Levitate LT 170 mmm dropper post

Still need to find some tires, saddle

I will be using it to ride single tracks etc. I don't do bikeparks, big drops or jumps so 140mm of travel is more than enough for me, probably to much :)
The reason I am starting to ride an E-MTB is that I think I'll have more fun on it than a regular MTB. A ride a Trek SuperCommuter to work every day (42 km total) and always enjoy it. Even when it rains or in heavy winds, so I think the same goes for a E-MTB. Although my MTB friends will probably won't let me come allong any more. That would be a problem anyway since they always ride about 28-30km/h on the 25km route to the trail. That is to fast to keep up with a restricted E-MTB.

Last edited:

JAOK

Jan 6, 2021
Netherlands
Let me rephrase that: They are my bike buddies, and have said, with a big smile, that Im not welcome with a E-mtb.
It is just that it is hard, for example wih my bosch CX motor in my trek, to stay above the 25 km/h without assistance.

We'll see once it is ready how difficult it is to do that with a Brose motor.

Niklas Kinn

Dec 2, 2020
Denmark
Hi,

This is where I will be posting updates of the build of a 140mm travel carbon E-MTB frame.

I started to look for a frame with a Bafang M500 motor, but the frames I liked could only fit a 450 Wh and that is simply not enough.
a 600Wh also fits but I found out that it sticks 2cm out of the down tube. So it ruins the look of the bike, at least that is my opinion.

In the end I went for the same frame my collegue just finished building. A full carbon frame designed for a full brose e-bike kit constisting out of a 630Wh battery, Mag S motor and everything else that is needed from brose to get in driveable.

With a little bit of luck the frame will be delivered in May, and will then be sent to a paintshop. At the moment I'm collecting parts and am busy coming up with a paint scheme, meaning a lot of photoshop to find something i like and will like for some time to come.

This is the frameset I ordered in L/XL
Comes with a Rockshox trunion select + shock

View attachment 49595

Parts I have so far:
Rockshox Pike ultimate 140mm travel
Magura MT 7 pro
Magura Storm centerlock 203mm rotors (plan was to use my DTSwiss XM1501 for my Neuron, not sure if they are allowed for E-MTBs)
Sram XO gripshift
Sram GX 11-speed rearderailleur

On order
Novatec Diabo XL 29 wheelset (needs 6 bolts rotors)
M-wave 40mm stem ( for starters)
M-wave 78mm bar (for staters)
M-wave Levitate LT 170 mmm dropper post

Still need to find some tires, saddle

I will be using it to ride single tracks etc. I don't do bikeparks, big drops or jumps so 140mm of travel is more than enough for me, probably to much :)
The reason I am starting to ride an E-MTB is that I think I'll have more fun on it than a regular MTB. A ride a Trek SuperCommuter to work every day (42 km total) and always enjoy it. Even when it rains or in heavy winds, so I think the same goes for a E-MTB. Although my MTB friends will probably won't let me come allong any more. That would be a problem anyway since they always ride about 28-30km/h on the 25km route to the trail. That is to fast to keep up with a restricted E-MTB.

great project. what is the price of their frame with motor and battery

JAOK

Jan 6, 2021
Netherlands
Well, that's the thing, I think you will not be able to buy it as a end consumer. They only sell to manufacturers, as far as I know.
The bicycle and bicycle parts wholesale company I work, produces bicycles and city e-bikes. So we are seen as a bicycle manufacturer by Messingschlager and being so were able to purchace their E-bike solution kits for this E-mtb and alloy trekking bikes.
For that reason i cannot reveal the price i paid for the kit.

Last edited:

Niklas Kinn

Dec 2, 2020
Denmark
Well, that's the thing, I think you will not be able to buy it as a end consumer. They only sell to manufacturers, as far as I know.
The bicycle and bicycle parts wholesale company I work, produces bicycles and city e-bikes. So we are seen as a bicycle manufacturer by Messingschlager and being so were able to purchaces their E-bike solution kits for this E-mtb and alloy trekking bikes.
For that reason i cannot reveal the price i paid for the kit.

okay I understand that. I have my own company with cars, where I help another company that makes prototypes of electric cars and motorcycles as well as bicycles. so they can get a price for me. i was just curious if it was very expensive than dengfu E10

JAOK

Jan 6, 2021
Netherlands
This is the sample bike set up by Messingschlager as a mullet and obviously unpainted.

BROSE 140 MM E-MTB KIT.png

I will build it as a 29er front and rear. So far this is how I think I my paintwork should look like (at the moment).
I used the brand name Avalon since that is the name we are producing and selling are own (e)bikes under.
I went for a black, white , grey color scheme since i think that will keep me satisfied for a longer period of time regarding looks then when I use more vibrant colors.

AVALON PAINT v1.png

I can always add color by switching to annodized parts. Anyone got some ideas for a paint job?

JAOK

Jan 6, 2021
Netherlands
@jtran69 ,if you had read all the posts in this thread you could have read 3 post earlier that I can't share the costs of the frame en motor because this set is only available for bicycle manufacturers. since I work at a wholesale company who produces bikes I was able to get a frame kit.

Last edited:

JAOK

Jan 6, 2021
Netherlands
I have been thinking about that as well, I'm only not sure if it's it good idea to drive around like that. Does paint protect a raw carbon frame or is it just purely cosmetic. Does anyone know? it comes in like Robs Dengfu e10. not having it painted saves me around 500 euro?. Money I can spent on something else. When my collegues frame arrived first thing i said to him was "do not paint it."
Looks great as it is in matt ud carbon

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Carbon is a soft material prone to scratching and surface damage leading to damaged fibres, acrylic paint as per on the outside of cars and the likes, is tough and abrasion resistant. Which would you want on the outside of an mtb bike, carbon or an outer protective skin ?

JAOK

Jan 6, 2021
Netherlands
Carbon is a soft material prone to scratching and surface damage leading to damaged fibres, acrylic paint as per on the outside of cars and the likes, is tough and abrasion resistant. Which would you want on the outside of an mtb bike, carbon or an outer protective skin ?
Thanks for oyur anwser, so not only cosmetic but also functional. So there will be paint on my frame. Clearcoat or color has yet to be decided.

Great thread. Please keep it going with motor install, etc
Of course, when it arrives it's now scheduled for end of may 1st week of june.

RockySpieler

Sep 23, 2018
Bottom of the hill
@jtran69 ,if you had read all the posts in this thread you could have read 3 post earlier that I can't share the costs of the frame en motor because this set is only available for bicycle manufacturers. since I work at a wholesal company who produces bikes I was able to get a frame kit.
That was lucky, Iwas wondering where you were going to get the brose bits from.

johnscioscia

Sep 14, 2020
Tampa

BIKE WRAP. Google it. Can choose matte or gloss finish Tricky install lbs did mine

freerider

Jan 22, 2021
france
looks cool
I like the look of their aluminium gravel ebike too
don't suppose you could get me a frame? (the gravel one) I'm just over the border in France......gave up on those loons in the UK ;)

JAOK

Jan 6, 2021
Netherlands
looks cool
I like the look of their aluminium gravel ebike too
don't suppose you could get me a frame? (the gravel one) I'm just over the border in France......gave up on those loons in the UK ;)
Yes that gravelbike is also nice, only thing is the small intube battery. and sorry but I can't get you a frame. Even if I could it woud be somewhere in 2022

BIKE WRAP. Google it. Can choose matte or gloss finish Tricky install lbs did mine

I contacted wrap my bike here in the Netherlands, about 20 km from my house and they will wrap my bike. They do custom designs as well.They can print the foil so everthing is possible.
The wrap is more or less designed.

Besides my work in the wholesale company I have a business of my own designing and building
LEGO models. mostly superyachts for the fortunate people who can afford one. So my design will have a top and seattube cover in black LEGO bricks :)

Rest of the bike will be black with white logo's and some red touches here and there.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
...A full carbon frame designed for a full brose e-bike kit constisting out of a 630Wh battery, Mag S motor and everything else that is needed from brose to get in driveable.
Is the Brose S mechanically compatible with the Brose-T ?

I have a running Brose-T hardtail, this frame could be a nice upgrade in the future...

JAOK

Jan 6, 2021
Netherlands
Sorry for the late reply, but i do not know if the Brose T and Mag S are interchangeable. Youc an try to ask Brose.

Anyway I received a phonecall today that all the parts are in so my frame and motor will be shipped within a week from Germany to the Netherlands! Then i will have it painted instead of wrapped. Wrapping ended up to be way more expensive then a pro paint job.

After that I can finally put it together. Hopefully just in time before my holliday starts at 26th of june. Fingers crossed

JAOK

Jan 6, 2021
Netherlands
Frame is finally here. Tomorrow it will go to the paintshop.
frame E-mtb.png

I also made some changes to the parts that will be installed. I switched to magura MRD-P 203mm rotors, GX AXS RD with GX AXS shifter/controller, E-thirteen TRS 9-46 Cassette, and Onza Porcupine 29x2.4 trc60 black/skin tires.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles