Broken bolt

Flog

Subscriber
Apr 19, 2020
Dorset / Somerset Border
Whilst cleaning the bike (Jam 6.8)
IMG_8014.JPG
IMG_8015.JPG and thinking about the slipping hub (second time, posted separately) how I fix or do I take to shop? I noticed a bolt loose. Started to tighten and just kept spinning. Then. found that it had sheared off??
After getting over the annoyance and thinking that'll be an hour on the web finding a new one, I suddenly thought how do I get the thread part out.... Ooooh, bugger bugger.

Any thoughts - here do I buy a new bolt and how the chuff do I get the thread part out??

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I thought this seemed like a Focus Deja-vu !

Found it :

H1 Dave

Dec 30, 2019
Earby, Lancashire
I ve done a couple of them bolts in the past.
Found the best way to prevent this is to regulary regrease the linkage bolts and use a torque wrench to ensure the correct tightness. Never had another one snap.
I never use loctite on these bolts as you would then struggle to get the snapped bit out if it ever snapped again and i've never had one come loose without loctite.
Got new bolts from my LBS (Focus Dealer).
I got the old snapped off threaded bit out by making a small slot in the bolt with a dremmel then used a flat screwdriver to screw the old bit out.
With the new bolt i have sawn a slot in the end off the bolt so if it does ever snap i can just screw it out.
I also carry a spare on in my backpack just incase.
Dave

Last edited:

Shy Ted

Aug 20, 2019
Inbed
I’m guessing it’s a 2020 Bosch driven Jam 6.8, if so it’s the same as mine, now I’ll have to check my shock bolts for similar. If it was me first port of call would be the dealer for a warranty issue because we seem to get a lot of “little” issues on these bikes. I’m sure the procedure would be to drill the remainder out using a very small drill bit.
Anyway, your hub issue could be the free hub; I’ve had to service mine twice in a few months; it’s sounds like a really bad drumming from the rear hub. Just remove the cassette and from what I remember there’s a rubber seal that you can carefully pull away and if you’re lucky just dribble some very light oil into the pawls and teeth, should sort it; well it did for me.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The exact same thing happened to me after only 735 miles. I took it to Rutland Cycling and they dealt with it under warranty. They had to order the bolt and it was going to take a while so they robbed a bolt off a bike they had in stock. ( :) ) They ordered a few bolts and sent me a spare bolt in case there was a next time. I removed the shock recently (2165 miles) for a service and the upper and lower shock mounting bolts were in perfect condition. Loctite Blue the threads when replacing.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Do you think they have the odd suspect bolt ? or more likely, some are over tightened and therefore under stress and easily snap ?
Nope. The bolt came loose and the shear point moved from the smooth round part to the spiky threaded part, which is where it sheared. The damage you can see on the smooth part is because the bolt was unsecured and the shock was actually hitting it. My bolt looked exactly the same as the OP's. see below
Shock Bolt.jpg

The dimple you can see in the end of the threaded section is where the drill bit started before it unwound the stub.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Nope. The bolt came loose and the shear point moved from the smooth round part to the spiky threaded part, which is where it sheared. The damage you can see on the smooth part is because the bolt was unsecured and the shock was actually hitting it. My bolt looked exactly the same as the OP's. see below
View attachment 44532

The dimple you can see in the end of the threaded section is where the drill bit started before it unwound the stub.
So if there's a bright side, it should always be easy to get the broken threaded section out ! Maybe someone needs to invent little bolt yellow plastic caps like on lorry wheel nuts, so you can see if your bolts are coming loose ! :)

Flog

Subscriber
Apr 19, 2020
Dorset / Somerset Border
Thanks guys for all the info and it doesn't sound like I'm alone on this. @H1 Dave - that sounds like a good way to removing, thanks.
@Zimmerframe , your humour is always appreciated on every post!
@steve_sordy - you better tell me what else has gone wrong as I'm 30 miles further on than you were!!

I've sent an email to Focus but they do say on their web site, warranty is with the dealer so have also sent to Sprockets Kilmarnock where I bought back in April - my huge bummer is I'm in Dorset!! Can I take to any focus dealer for warranty or is it where you bought the bike from?

When we eventually do get it fixed, certainly will get a few bolts as spares!!!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Flog I suspect that Blue Loctite needs to be fitted as part of the assembly process, or they are not torqueing the bolts properly at first assembly. Or maybe we all are not checking all the bolts after running for a while! I have come across a few bolts on the Focus that came loose that never came loose again once blue loctited. (rear axle, motor mounting, shock mounting, headset clamp). And yes, I do have a torque wrench.

Yes you can take your bike back to any Focus dealer, and they will fix it properly. But you may not get a free warranty claim. The dealer that sold you the bike was paid an amount of money to deal with expected warranty claims, the dealer you take the bike to has not made any money on your bike. If it is a big claim like a new motor, or one where there is zero doubt about whether it's a warranty or not, then they will probably just deal with it. But if it is small or doubtful who is to blame, then they will probably give you a option: pay as normal, or pay a fee and the will process it as a warranty claim without further charge. Rutland Cycling has a fee of £37 for this. The reason for this is that small or doubtful claims cost a lot of money to process and with little chance of cost recovery (unless they charge a fee).

I got some spare bolts (ask how much they are first!) and I have never used them. See post#6.

Flog

Subscriber
Apr 19, 2020
Dorset / Somerset Border
@steve_sordy - thanks for the insight. I've swapped a couple of emails with Focus today and they do just say go back to the dealer. Although I've grovelled they still push back to the dealer but I have asked for the part number of the bolt so I can get the nearest F dealer to get a bolt in for me.
I haven't heard from the dealer as yet, tad disappointing, but know it will be - Yep bring it in and we'll have a look. Not going to be doing that as I think Kilmarnock is a tad over 440 miles away from me.
Any chance I can buy a bolt from you - guessing a bolt, not S/S so probably just 50p so they will be selling at £9.95?? If I can get one now to get me up and running again then I'll order a couple as back up (can return if you want spares?)
Whilst we're on, have you had any trouble with your rear hub. I've had two crappy muddy rides and both have ended up with slipping hub and when you stop peddling the screeching is scary and the chain and cassette go forward on their own?? Last time my chap cleaned it all up, re-greased and all was good. Again, I'm told should claim on warranty but I run in to my milage problem again.... What do you think? Get on and replace for something better, clean it again or go fill the truck up with fuel!!
(I'm hearing all the readers saying.... Should have used a local bike shop for exactly this reason.... Next time...!!)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles