Broken bash plate and more

Spart

Jan 15, 2019
Australia
Hey guys so I cracked my bash plate on my 140 stereo race a couple of weeks ago and was just looking at installing the new one today. When I removed the old one I noticed a hole that has been allowed to get dust etc in there from the broken plate. I can even see a small rock in there. I’m wondering 1) if I can take off the second encasing to clean it out or will that void the warranty. 2) should I even be riding it with gunk in there 3) does it need to be taken to the shop to be cleaned out by someone trained. I have attatched some pics as examples of what I mean. Thanks in advance
Geoff

70A1A61E-7327-4702-80AE-2D4AE9FBE78E.jpeg

163D73E2-1B8D-42A1-86C3-DF4C3FB0CFEA.jpeg

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Hey guys so I cracked my bash plate on my 140 stereo race a couple of weeks ago and was just looking at installing the new one today. When I removed the old one I noticed a hole that has been allowed to get dust etc in there from the broken plate. I can even see a small rock in there. I’m wondering 1) if I can take off the second encasing to clean it out or will that void the warranty. 2) should I even be riding it with gunk in there 3) does it need to be taken to the shop to be cleaned out by someone trained. I have attatched some pics as examples of what I mean. Thanks in advance
Geoff

View attachment 10842

View attachment 10843
I remove the covers quite regularly to clean the “gunk’ out. Not sure about warranty. But I’m not going to take it to the LBS for this level of maintenance, it would simply cost too much.

The outer casings can be quite tricky to get back together correctly though, so allow yourself plenty of time.

There are two alumininium inserts for the outer bash plate fixings. You can use a couple of the bash guard bolts to hold them in place on one side of the outer case. I’m sure you’ll understand what I mean if you do decide to take it apart.

There are also some tiny plastic tags on the inside of one of the outer cases, theses are a proper pain in the butt! I open them up a little which makes it easier to get back together.

I hope you’re not put off by the foregoing, once you’ve done it a few times you’ll wonder what I’m fussing about.

Spart

Jan 15, 2019
Australia
that's just a secondary casing the motor is a sealed unit underneath ... shouldn't effect the warranty. you will have to take off the crank arms.. i spy a jet washer in the background dont let it get anywhere near your cube.. Also these guys have what your looking for i replaced after a week ..Rockguardz - Real Carbon Fibre MTB Rock Protectors
Ok thanks for that information. I actually bought one of the rockguards ones to replace the broken one but sending to Australia took a couple of weeks. I have seen the videos not to use the jet washer hahah. I was doing the driveway with it. Nothing but sponge baths for the bike ?

Spart

Jan 15, 2019
Australia
I remove the covers quite regularly to clean the “gunk’ out. Not sure about warranty. But I’m not going to take it to the LBS for this level of maintenance, it would simply cost too much.

The outer casings can be quite tricky to get back together correctly though, so allow yourself plenty of time.

There are two alumininium inserts for the outer bash plate fixings. You can use a couple of the bash guard bolts to hold them in place on one side of the outer case. I’m sure you’ll understand what I mean if you do decide to take it apart.

There are also some tiny plastic tags on the inside of one of the outer cases, theses are a proper pain in the butt! I open them up a little which makes it easier to get back together.

I hope you’re not put off by the foregoing, once you’ve done it a few times you’ll wonder what I’m fussing about.
Ok thanks mate. I’m new to biking so I didn’t want to just start taking things apart. That plate you made looks awesome as well. You should look at selling them. Give rockguardz a little competition hah. Doesn’t seem like there is much for them at the moment. I know no one in oz makes anything like that. Thanks for your help anyway I’ll have a go at taking it apart.

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Ok thanks mate. I’m new to biking so I didn’t want to just start taking things apart. That plate you made looks awesome as well. You should look at selling them. Give rockguardz a little competition hah. Doesn’t seem like there is much for them at the moment. I know no one in oz makes anything like that. Thanks for your help anyway I’ll have a go at taking it apart.
The rock guards unit looks great too, just fancied having ago at making something myself. Good luck with the clean.

Spart

Jan 15, 2019
Australia
Just some info. I talked to the warranty guys for cube Australia and apparently I can remove that plate and go so far as removing the entire motor from the bike without any dramas. Thanks again

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
How’s it holding up fella?
Went out yesterday and got it throughly dirty & wet
Noticed when I got back water under the bottom bend would not drain away because you made it so well & fitted so close.....so I'm going to remove it and drill 2 sizeable holes in the plate for drainage
Have you noticed this on yours frankieboy when your washing it ?

Apart from that I don't think i hit anything with it...which is always good sign

Let me know if you have noticed this - cheers mate

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Went out yesterday and got it throughly dirty & wet
Noticed when I got back water under the bottom bend would not drain away because you made it so well & fitted so close.....so I'm going to remove it and drill 2 sizeable holes in the plate for drainage
Have you noticed this on yours frankieboy when your washing it ?

Apart from that I don't think i hit anything with it...which is always good sign

Let me know if you have noticed this - cheers mate
Can’t say I’ve looked that closely Mark, haven’t washed it yet!

You could always try bending it slightly to make a small gap, it’s quite easy to bend by hand, or used a work mate as I did when I made it. Originally I was going to put some rubber washers between the bash plate and the metal guard but decided not to bother. I bought some though so if you want to try that let me know and I’ll put some in the post.

Loopy

Jun 17, 2020
Qld Australia
The rock guards unit looks great too, just fancied having ago at making something myself. Good luck with the clean.
Hi Frankie boy can you post some other photos of your guard & is it only the 2 screws shown in the photo that hold it on. I tried 1 of the Rockguardz covers & it broke first ride , so I thought that yours looked way more practical/strong.
Cheers

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I quite like the idea of having a weaker bash guard so an impact will break it rather than what’s underneath it. Just like the thin protector screen on my iPhone or the crumple zones in a car

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Hi Frankie boy can you post some other photos of your guard & is it only the 2 screws shown in the photo that hold it on. I tried 1 of the Rockguardz covers & it broke first ride , so I thought that yours looked way more practical/strong.
Cheers
There you go. It’s held on by the 4 screw that hold the original bash plate on. What year is your bike, or, what generation of motor, mine are 2019 (small front sprocket).
if yours is 2020, gen 4 you’re out of luck as I have no template.
TBH they aren’t that difficult to make, only tools you need are a drill, jig saw, drill bits, counter sync and a workmate for bending.

FDF7F2C2-E3B5-4B6A-890B-DD6AB954A410.jpeg

77F8214F-AE60-4CD9-B3FF-32F65BF7FDE5.jpeg

0C139306-BF5F-41E5-AA29-872861077610.jpeg

BD295ECE-0F59-4808-B83D-BE4C2E60D533.jpeg

Loopy

Jun 17, 2020
Qld Australia
There you go. It’s held on by the 4 screw that hold the original bash plate on. What year is your bike, or, what generation of motor, mine are 2019 (small front sprocket).
if yours is 2020, gen 4 you’re out of luck as I have no template.
TBH they aren’t that difficult to make, only tools you need are a drill, jig saw, drill bits, counter sync and a workmate for bending.

View attachment 33772

View attachment 33773

View attachment 33774

View attachment 33775
Cheers that’s great. Yeh mine is the 2020 so I’ll have to work it out.

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Cheers that’s great. Yeh mine is the 2020 so I’ll have to work it out.
In the UK the materials didn’t cost much, I think I made 6 plates for about £20. Just takes a little time to work out the best way to fix it to the bike and cut / form them, then an hour or so to make each one.

good luck with it, be interesting to see how it turns out.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles