Broke my rear wheel, shear off the disc mount.

Intermtb

Jan 5, 2020
USA
I was starting riding on mellow trail, only about 1 mile in then this happened.
my guess is loose bolts, or over torque the bolts and crack the mount. I was riding pretty technical trail a day before, luckily didn't happen there.
No warning, no rubbing, no noise, all was good, then boom.

do you know who make this hub?
1594244698301.png

1594244740602.png

1594244776386.png

Last edited:

Spreaders

May 4, 2020
Cornwall
I was starting riding on mellow trail, only about 1 mile in then this happened.
my guess is loose bolts, or over torque the bolts and crack the mount. I was riding pretty technical trail a day before, luckily didn't happen there.

Sorry to hear this as that looks like a new wheel or full rebuild but glad you safe. Thanks for the reminder to check the torque and add some loctite to my recently replaced discs!

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Gravity is Bikes Direct house brand so it could be a number of overseas manufacturers. Even if you tracked down the manufacturer of that hub would you want another one? Caveat emptor and all that. Unlace and replace with another 15mm TA hub of the same dimensions to preserve your spokes and get back out there.

Curious as to why you brought WTB/Maxxis into this, they didn't cause the problem.

Intermtb

Jan 5, 2020
USA
Gravity is Bikes Direct house brand so it could be a number of overseas manufacturers. Even if you tracked down the manufacturer of that hub would you want another one? Caveat emptor and all that. Unlace and replace with another 15mm TA hub of the same dimensions to preserve your spokes and get back out there.

Curious as to why you brought WTB/Maxxis into this, they didn't cause the problem.
I have contacted bikes direct, they want to see more pictures. I purchased the bike from them this January. They thought I crashed hard, or rotor got stuck, or some kind of abusive use.

I was just showing you guys the wheel, and did not mention the problem with the rim nor tires, as people may ask what kind of wheel.

Thanks for your info, no wonder I could not find any Gravity Hub like that. I am hoping BD will replace the wheel.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles