Brand New e8000, 20kms Bearings Creaking

pollywaffle

May 4, 2019
cairns
It is definitely not loose mounting bolts or loose cranks or loose whatever else.

It is the familiar sound of crappy e8000 bearings creaking. The last motor had the same annoying creak with every pedal stroke.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Shimano should be replacing these for free.
They do.

Personally I've bene through countless E8000 motors through warranty. I don't remember ever managing much more than 600 miles from an E8000 before bearing play and a slight creak has developed. But they go on for a lot longer than that if you can live with it so I just tend to wait until the creaking has become pretty horrendous and the crank axle has so much play it's become too hard to live or the noise has changed to obvious strain on the motor before I start a warranty claim these days and also check before hand that the distributor actually has replacement stock

The last motor had the same annoying creak with every pedal stroke.
New motor. But same drivetrain, pedals, crank arms, spider and spider lockring?
:unsure:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Not necessarily.
My point was. Are you 100% sure your creak isn't coming from one of the used components you've refitted?
You wouldn't be the first to misdiagnosed a creak that seems to only be present when pedalling.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
It is definitely not loose mounting bolts or loose cranks or loose whatever else.

It is the familiar sound of crappy e8000 bearings creaking. The last motor had the same annoying creak with every pedal stroke.

Is the common element between these the same pedals/cleats?

pollywaffle

May 4, 2019
cairns
I wish it was something other than the axle bearings creaking but it isn't.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me that I need to replace the bearings as much as the irritation at hearing it with every hard pedal stroke.

pollywaffle

May 4, 2019
cairns
Has anyone been able to narrow down what the design flaw is?

This new motor is so loud it's embarrassing, especially standing up pedalling.

KTMJack

Dec 9, 2021
Oakley Ca.
When I take it apart I will see if I can put a grease fitting on it to lube bearings .I have 3000 miles on it this year I guess I am long over do for some lube

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles