Brake upgrading

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Can anyone see a suitable bleed kit from these chaps, might as well order at the same time, there’s loads...

Generally, this little bad boy is all you need ..

with some fluid ..

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Don't underestimate the value of tooless reach adjust. Also Zees don't have Servo Wave. EDIT: I'm mistaken, they do have Servo Wave, just a less aggressive ramp up. And they *might* come with resin pads, not sure on that.

I tried the XT 4-pots but ended up on Saints. I still wanted more power. To be clear the Saint and XT calipers are identical. Only the levers are different.

I got my Saints for $150 each off BikeInn. One of the best upgrades I've made.

Last edited:

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
Here’s my steed 2021 ORBEA Wild FS H30 but I’m looking to upgrade the brakes. I’ve seen some second hand saint M810 for front/rear at a decent price so was wondering for £150 if that’s the best deal?
I have these four brakes on my bikes:

1. Shimano SLX - 200mm rotor (2018 Stumpjumper)
2. Shimano XT - 180mm rotor (2015 Stumpjumper)
3. Shimano MT520 - 200mm rotor (Trek Powerfly)
4. Shram Guide RE - 200mm rotor (Kenevo)

They all work equally well to me. I probably prefer the Shram Guide RE by a smidge. Not sure why.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I have these four brakes on my bikes:

1. Shimano SLX - 200mm rotor (2018 Stumpjumper)
2. Shimano XT - 180mm rotor (2015 Stumpjumper)
3. Shimano MT520 - 200mm rotor (Trek Powerfly)
4. Shram Guide RE - 200mm rotor (Kenevo)

They all work equally well to me. I probably prefer the Shram Guide RE by a smidge. Not sure why.
Shhhhhh fruity m o d u l a t i o n......

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I think I’ve already got 203 rotars front/back....

hopefully get these new brakes this week, might end up getting them fitted if it’s not straightforward and the wiring is all internally routed which might be a bugger, can get it fitted for £30

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Seeing as your current brakes are shimano, the new brakes are also shimano, and you would have to take the hoses off to swap the levers around on the new brakes , you might be able to get away with reusing the hoses from the old brakes, and just unbolt the caliper and levers from each end and replace with the calipers and levers that you have bought.

You will need to re bleed them for definite (but you would have had to do this for the rear at least with internal routing) - but might save some faffing about routing the hoses.

tip for you - Do NOT be tempted to leave the brake pads in the calipers whilst rebleeding, and do not leave the wheel with the brake rotor on it, in the frame whilst rebleeding. However much you think you'll be able to bleed them without spilling any fluid - you wont, you will spill some fluid and if you left the pads in the caliper or the brake disc in the caliper it will get contaminated and ruin the braking. Before you put the pads back in, or the wheels into the frame, clean the caliper thoroughly. If so much as a spot of oil gets on the pads or disc you are stuffed.

Last edited:

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Seeing as your current brakes are shimano, the new brakes are also shimano, and you would have to take the hoses off to swap the levers around on the new brakes , you might be able to get away with reusing the hoses from the old brakes, and just unbolt the caliper and levers from each end and replace with the calipers and levers that you have bought.

You will need to re bleed them for definite (but you would have had to do this for the rear at least with internal routing) - but might save some faffing about routing the hoses.

tip for you - Do NOT be tempted to leave the brake pads in the calipers whilst rebleeding, and do not leave the wheel with the brake rotor on it, in the frame whilst rebleeding. However much you think you'll be able to bleed them without spilling any fluid - you wont, you will spill some fluid and if you left the pads in the caliper or the brake disc in the caliper it will get contaminated and ruin the braking. Before you put the pads back in, or the wheels into the frame, clean the caliper thoroughly. If so much as a spot of oil gets on the pads or disc you are stuffed.

I might just have a go at it!! Cheers

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I’d asked the guys at the store but they were slow to reply they said

‘those brakes can´t be switched. You will have to disconnect the brake houses.’

I can’t get my head around how a rh brake will go into a lh unless it’s symmetrical and therefore doesn’t matter......hmm

that said, if the biking gods are toying with me I’ll order the shigara combo I think!

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I’d asked the guys at the store but they were slow to reply they said

‘those brakes can´t be switched. You will have to disconnect the brake houses.’

I can’t get my head around how a rh brake will go into a lh unless it’s symmetrical and therefore doesn’t matter......hmm

that said, if the biking gods are toying with me I’ll order the shigara combo I think!

FFS ( ;-) ) its like this:-

- When you get the brakes the left lever will be connected to the front caliper, the right lever will be connected to the rear caliper
- You want them the other way round, so you disconnect the hose from the left lever, disconnect the hose from the right lever , and swap the hoses round. The levers stay in the same place. Capiche?

Some brakes (sram), the levers can be moved left to right/right to left because they are symetrical, so you dont have to disconnect and swap the hoses round, but thats not the case with shimano or magura.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You could just install them as they come and run them in Euro spec. The advantage here is that if someone steals your bike, the first thing they'll do is fly over the handlebars so you should easily be able to catch them up :)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
- When you get the brakes the left lever will be connected to the front caliper, the right lever will be connected to the rear caliper
- You want them the other way round, so you disconnect the hose from the left lever, disconnect the hose from the right lever , and swap the hoses round. The levers stay in the same place. Capiche?
Sounds complicated. Can I just use the bike upside down instead ?

Reactions: EME

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england

Some brakes (sram), the levers can be moved left to right/right to left because they are symetrical, so you dont have to disconnect and swap the hoses round, but thats not the case with shimano or magura.

it made sense the first time, until they said ‘oh no you can’t swap’ instead of ‘sure, but you’ll just disconnect some shiz’.......the lols!

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Turns out I need one of these too Wolf Tooth Shiftmount Black £27 for a piece of metal goddamit! Shimano Ev to B.....

ive not tried to do myself as yesterday I’ve hit a tree head on, ‘touch wood’ I think I’ve not broken my neck although I heard all sorts of cracking! From my waist up is just agony but I gave some of my protective gear a good test!! Ideally a neck brace would be there but meh.....so took it upto the shop since I can’t move my limbs correctly ?

Just one thing the evans mechanic said he didn’t think the zee calliper would offer any more than the stock shimano one that’s already installed (4 pot unbranded deora in his words) but the levers would.....if this is the case I’d return the callipers but thought I’d ask you fine folk first :)

Last edited:

CrzyMD

Jun 30, 2018
Bakersfield, CA., USA
I absolutely hate the Code R’s that came stock on the Levo. Wanted to go with Hope Tech 3 V4 which I run and love on my acoustic bikes. However, somewhere I read that the braided brake lines won’t slide thru the carbon frame in the rear. Anybody have any experience with those brakes?

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia

Magura MT5 can be used left or right side .
No left - right lever .

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think the MT5 now comes as standard with the carbotecture levers. It used to come as standard with the aluminium levers - which I think are now the re-designed HC Aluminium levers.

I guess there's a good chance that OEM versions might still be using older fabricated aluminium units, or possibly Magura offer different OEM options.

If you buy an MT5 brake set, the versions listed as "MT5 Next" all seem to come with Aluminium levers.

Magura mainly make Injection moulded car parts, so they have a lot of experience in making injection moulded resin/plastic parts.

Some people, in colder climates, swap to the carbotecture blades for the cold season as they're nicer on the fingers than the Aluminium ones.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles