Brake upgrade have you?

Tonytank

Jun 5, 2019
London
I’ve had my 150-RS for just over 4 months now and I’m loving it the more I ride it. I swapped out the SRAM brake pads to Uberbike Ebike specific pads for the Codes. They are great on long fast descents, never had any fade issues, don’t squeal and the the backing plates are blue and look the part.
TTFN
Yep thats what i use or uber race matrix pads (white) as they have thicker pad material and thinner back plates that give great lever feel.
Why whyte didnt go with guide re i dont know, got them on my vitus and they are awesome.

nosuchuser

Jun 10, 2020
London
Alright thx man. I read a few comments about excellent stopping power but short life.

840 on the left, sram on the right. Maybe 50 miles on the sram, 300 odd hard miles on the 840. Rear pads, I drag them a lot on the steeps ;)

20201121_125001.jpg

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
I am using the Uberbike E-Matrix pads with the standard SRAM Code R brakes on the v1 E150RS. Much better with these pads.
But I also switched to Magura MDR-P 220/203 rotors at the same time as fitting the pads.
Just ordered some to replace the worn-out pads on my e160. Used the white race matrix pads before which were good.

ERambo

Aug 18, 2020
Winchester, England
Hi Guys, Whyte E160S - it come with SRAM Guide RE 4 pot - I'm finding them pretty spongy and vague on long downhills - and well I need brakes I can trust especially being a very average rider :) so I'm thinking of the Hope tech3/e4 brakes as I've tried a mates non ebike with them and they feel great. He says that he wouldnt ride anything else.

So anyone else done this mod? worth it?

all the best
Mo

I did this swap day one on my E160RS. I have had two bikes with SRAM brakes and both were awful. on both bikes the brakes seized, especially in warm weather. bled the brakes several times and no joy.

The Hope Tech 3 E4's are excellent on the E160. Good modulation and reliable, which I have found important on steep descents in the wet weather with the heavier bike. They don't just lock out leaving you skidding out of control.

The bike shop said that fitting the new brakes took a bit longer than expected.

Bumpy

Jan 1, 2020
Bristol
I had the same feeling when I first got my Levo with the RE's being vague and spongy. Reading that they're old codes I persevered and bled them, installed UBC Ematrix pads and they work a treat now. I did go on to swap the levers out for RSC's for some extra adjustment and better feel as well. The E matrix pads are really good.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles