Brake Pads

Blakey

Sep 9, 2020
Mid Sussex, UK
Hey all,

I have a new Moterra (see sig for exact model). I'm only 1 month into ownership but have already worn out the rear brake pad and I suspect the front is close to end of life. The reason is because last weekend I helped support a guy in the local village who basically ran up and down the height of Mount Everest, twice (!!) in 24-hours. That was a World Record. I rode with him for 5 hours which meant basically riding down a very steep hill at jogging pace for about 2.5 hours (and 2.5 hours of climbing), so an insane amount of braking in a short period of time.

Firstly I assume that as my rear brake basically hardly works (it does slow me a tiny bit but not much) that I need new pads. Is that a fair assumption? It seemed to work fine a few days ago but today basically seemed to stop working pretty much.

Secondly, is there a specific pad or range of pads I need to buy? The brakes are SRAM Guide RE hydro disc, 4-piston, 220/200mm Centerline rotors. When looking for pads, how do I find a match?

Thanks all!
Blakey

Blakey

Sep 9, 2020
Mid Sussex, UK
Is there a good/simple article to read to get up to speed on brake pads? Discussing things like "sintered" and "organic" etc? I probably will just buy one of the sets of pads you guys are recommending as I need pads fast but I might as well learn as I go. :)

Thanks
Blakey

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Is there a good/simple article to read to get up to speed on brake pads? Discussing things like "sintered" and "organic" etc? I probably will just buy one of the sets of pads you guys are recommending as I need pads fast but I might as well learn as I go. :)

Thanks
Blakey

It really all comes down to power/feel/durability oh and cost!

The softer the compound the more feel you will get but at the expense of durability, with a few other variables thrown in. It's like tyre choice, everyone has their own preference. In winter I would run a harder compound like Semi-Metallic, as you are running around in grit and crap that will shred a softer compound. I am by no means a brake pad expert. If you are going to change your pads yourself (it's super easy) I would invest in a caliper tool to push the calipers apart. They close in as your pads wear more. Many mention using a set of tyre levers but I could not get this to work effectively.

Summer, nice and dry (well mostly) go for a softer compound.

Disco Brakes are very decent. They all seem to come out if the same factory as OEM/Branded pads. Far cheaper than buying branded and do a decent job.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
They’re good mate , not the best but good enough and don’t squeak , been using them for nearly a year now . I’m getting about 6 months use per pair , just remember to bed them in . I drag both brakes while in turbo for 20 secs , easy !

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
When it comes to pad material resin and semi metalic are sort of the worst of both worlds.
Sintered work better in the wet and deal with heat better in the dry and consistent all year round in any conditions.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I buy 4 packs of nukeproof pads . Emtb and/or bike park goes through pads. Good deal and they work well.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles