Brake pad wear

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
what are others finding and what does this say about riding style / environment / skill etc?
I generally go through rear pads faster than fronts.
It doesn't say anything at all about riding style, environment or skill out of context.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Mine wear fairly evenly but the rear suffers more from the effects of trail dust mud etc. Even so I always change front and rear for new at the same time.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My rear pads always go first.

When I first started mtb, I was always using the rear brake. "Precautionary braking" I believe it was called. Then I developed a problem with the rear brake that proved to be very tricky. While I was trying to solve it, whenever I used the rear brake the most awful honking and vibration would occur. So obviously I minimised use of the rear brake. By the time I had sorted it all out, my precautionary braking days were over! :)
But I still wear out the rear pads quicker.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Yes rear first for all the reasons mentioned , but also I think the rear gets more dirt thrown at it so more grinding paste wear going on too

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Coming from a motorbike background, largely of the tarmac track kind going round in circles, which is obviously front brake dominant I have a bad habit of using the front way to much on the ebike.

I know (well i think i know) I should use the rear more but my brain is calibrates brake = right hand!

Maybe i should swap the levers over :LOL:

I've noticed my pads have worn more on the front than rear.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
All very interesting.
What prompted me to ask the question was this video posted the other day by GMBN where Doddy discusses brake pad wear and how sometimes front and rear pads wear at different rates for different riders e.g. downhill or cross country.
The rest of the video is quite interesting regarding consumables in general.

Last edited:

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
I’ve just replaced a full set of pads on my Whyte E150- RS after 450 miles. I thought maybe a bit excessive but then again I ride this machine faster for longer and in a much more aggressive way on some rougher terrain than I’ve done for a long long time so hey ho.......here’s to wearing the next set of pads out ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles