Brainstorming thread - have a biking idea? Share it here!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
One universal mech hanger.
SRAM

Finally a new mech hanger standard to sit alongside the other 1327 replacable mech hangers already in production ;)

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
SRAM

Finally a new mech hanger standard to sit alongside the other 1327 replacable mech hangers already in production ;)
That's strange, they state: "The UDH works with all commercially available MTB and E-MTB drivetrains from Shimano to Box to Sunrace."

I would not have thought that was possible. The spiel about it looks good.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
All rear mechs use the same size and pitch mounting bolt. and the same b-tension adapter tab position.
SRAMs hanger's compatibility with all of its rivals mechs is hardly a miraculous claim ;)

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I did have an idea for front suspension. It is kind of a dynamic head angle - the more weight on the front, the slacker the head angle. I thought it could be an elastomer setup with some rigid guide to keep everything inline. Pivot point at the top of the head tube, elastomer at the bottom. 1 or 2" horizontal travel? I could imagine this being the next big thing. Trail bike while you're climbing, dh bike for the hard hitting descents.

I am surprised that the gun idea isn't more popular :unsure:
There's a hundred reasons why something like that wouldn't work (for example the BB height would drop when you slacken the head angle + there's added weight + new stress point + if it's always active it could create unpredictable Jekyll & Hyde handling)... but then there's also a hundred reasons why it CAN be made to work... just as long as the development and production costs can be justified by market interest... which is always an unknown when it comes to these things. But I've seen punters invest big money on less practical ideas than that.

But by mentioning it here, you've now placed the idea (within your description of how it would work) in the 'public domain' which means you (and everyone else) can no longer apply for it's patent internationally. For the USA you have one year from today to file a patent application but I don't think that's your intention, and so good for you. Patents aren't everything these days anyway...

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I much prefer the smaller hole in the rim
I realise I'm replying to a 4 month old post... but can't say I've ever seen (in my limited exposure to all things wheel related) a rim break or fail at the valve hole - schraeder or otherwise. Maybe it could or has happened but... rare enough so that it's a non-issue perhaps?

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
SRAM

That is progress of a sort. I guess that using it involves compromise, but at least I don't have to buy a spare mech hanger for each new bike and then never need it. Instead, I can carry just this one in my pack. Then when/if I break the original, this universal hanger will suffice until I can buy a new proper one.

Good find Gary. :)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
it's not a find ;)

You need to buy a bike from a manufacturer using the standard for it to be any use to you.
infact, for it to be any real use to you you need to replace ALL your bikes.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
But by mentioning it here, you've now placed the idea (within your description of how it would work) in the 'public domain' which means you (and everyone else) can no longer apply for it's patent internationally. For the USA you have one year from today to file a patent application but I don't think that's your intention, and so good for you. Patents aren't everything these days anyway...

Yes, I was aware of that. I would never have followed through with anything :rolleyes:; my days are too full :ROFLMAO:

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
How about a seatpost that move the seat backwards and down at the same time. It could pivot at the seat and the frame, instead of sliding in and out of a tube.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
How about a seatpost that move the seat backwards and down at the same time. It could pivot at the seat and the frame, instead of sliding in and out of a tube.
I believe there was a suspension seatpost that did that. Was it called the Thudbuster? Suspension seatposts may have fallen from popularity because I haven't seen any for a long time (that's a sample of one, so maybe not significant).

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Would be ok for a hardtail. However most rear suspension wheel paths go up and forwards... just something to be aware of to avoid contact between the two. ??

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I'd like to see someone come up with a flip-valve junction where both hydraulic brake levers and both front and rear caliper hoses are all connected to.

More weight and added complexity I know, plus one more thing that can go wrong... but wouldn't it be great if by simply flipping a lever, one can change the orientation of the brake levers (right lever to front *flick* to rear brake then back again)? Might be useful for bike-hire operators that cater to international tourists - not that there's much of that going on right now with Covid... :confused:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I did have an idea for front suspension. It is kind of a dynamic head angle - the more weight on the front, the slacker the head angle. I thought it could be an elastomer setup with some rigid guide to keep everything inline. Pivot point at the top of the head tube, elastomer at the bottom. 1 or 2" horizontal travel? I could imagine this being the next big thing. Trail bike while you're climbing, dh bike for the hard hitting descents.

I am surprised that the gun idea isn't more popular :unsure:
You'd imagine this would be possible with a linkage type suspension ? I guess the head angle changes as the suspension compresses anyway though.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
You'd imagine this would be possible with a linkage type suspension ? I guess the head angle changes as the suspension compresses anyway though.
Yes it does, now that you mentioned it!
But I still find it hard to get past how it looks... I'm too old and too set in my ways! :giggle:

Video talks about the slackening of the head angle from 5:25 onwards...
You we're onto something there @urastus as it appears to be advantageous. The linkage fork just achieves the same thing in a different way to what I envisage you were describing. (y)

Last edited:

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
With everything humans have achieved, we still can’t stop a tiny thorn going through a tyre.

don’t get me wrong, I do love plants but I don’t want them inside my bike

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I’m waiting for heated grips.

I know I’m an ahole but there’s some stupid ass ideas on here.

I however would like a bike with a 10 gauge shotgun round mounted in the seat tube. So when it gets stolen it turns the asshole stealing the bike in to hamburger - literally
Ouch! I would be 99.9% sure of getting the wrong person with something like that.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles