Brainstorming thread - have a biking idea? Share it here!

Feb 5, 2019
Wales
My dream is that one day folk will actually ride bikes as much as they type stuff about them on their electronic devices.

;)

You included, then. This topic is for ideas, not pipe dreams. I dream of threads not getting hijacked off topic, but hey ho.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Outlaw presta valves.
I thought you were being clever and had invented the new "Outlaw" presta valve !!! not actually just banning them ..

I haveto say, I thought the presta was used because it was a more reliable design .. but reading this point of view .. you might be onto something :)

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Re the valve - I still prefer the smaller hole :ROFLMAO:. What if someone came up with a valve that doesn't go through the rim? Totally different design, like a heart valve for example (or those simple ones used in some water pumps)?

New idea though, based on an old idea, and partly dealing with emtb and pedal strike, although it just looks like a general good idea - brain shock? I never play with the fork on climbs etc, but I do on the shock. I've always thought lockout / full compression damping on the front was a useless gimmick because when climbing the weight is on the rear. Also, going so slow up a steep climb, you really don't want the front wheel to get hindered climbing over rock etc. But a brain rear seems like a good idea. Never ridden one though so I don't know.

Last edited:

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Surely these big beefy bikes with chunky wheel rims and tyres can cope with a Schrader valve. I know these are no good for injecting sealant but surely that could design one that unscrews half way along its length but keeps the all important top bit that is obviously an engineering masterpiece used in almost every vehicle?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Surely these big beefy bikes with chunky wheel rims and tyres can cope with a Schrader valve. I know these are no good for injecting sealant but surely that could design one that unscrews half way along its length but keeps the all important top bit that is obviously an engineering masterpiece used in almost every vehicle?
A schrader's even easier for injecting sealant .. it just flows in there nicely with the pipe over the valve .. Even the nice chunky stuff for mowers, tractors, wheel barrows, inflatable thrusting assistants.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Outlaw presta valves. The world would be a happier place ?
I must admit the different rim hole size has caused me all sorts of problems. Like taking the wrong spare innertube. Or being in a group where someone with presta sized holes gets 3 punctures and all other spare tubes were schrader.
Now I go tubeless so only a problem if you need to put in a tube.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
A schrader's even easier for injecting sealant .. it just flows in there nicely with the pipe over the valve .. Even the nice chunky stuff for mowers, tractors, wheel barrows, inflatable thrusting assistants.

reminds me of Betamax v VHS. I’m sure Betamax was the much better technology.

I think there was also a similar situation with narrow gauge and wide gauge railway lines? The better system lost out?

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Re the valve - I still prefer the smaller hole :ROFLMAO:. What if someone came up with a valve that doesn't go through the rim? Totally different design, like a heart valve for example (or those simple ones used in some water pumps)?

New idea though, based on an old idea, and partly dealing with emtb and pedal strike, although it just looks like a general good idea - brain shock? I never play with the fork on climbs etc, but I do on the shock. I've always thought lockout / full compression damping on the front was a useless gimmick because when climbing the weight is on the rear. Also, going so slow up a steep climb, you really don't want the front wheel to get hindered climbing over rock etc. But a brain rear seems like a good idea. Never ridden one though so I don't know.
You think by now they could have come up with a good solid Tire. Nice and light and no air or inserts needed. Did I mention durable? And cheap?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Universal charger standard - given the MTB industry is well know for a love of inventing and discarding new standards like nobodies business its unlikely, but would open up trailside charging etc.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Universal charger standard - given the MTB industry is well know for a love of inventing and discarding new standards like nobodies business its unlikely, but would open up trailside charging etc.
Whilst it's tricky with different voltage bike batteries and so on, the EU have pushed standard chargers for phones. Hopefully over time it will become the norm for ebikes and cars ..

But then we still have a gazillion laptop chargers - hopefully soon all to be standard usb-c ...

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Whilst it's tricky with different voltage bike batteries and so on, the EU have pushed standard chargers for phones. Hopefully over time it will become the norm for ebikes and cars ..

But then we still have a gazillion laptop chargers - hopefully soon all to be standard usb-c ...

And all those e-scooters about to be unleashed upon the UK. I bet they all have different chargers

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
This would be awesome, especially if you could input the charge limit eg 60 or 80%? There is an aftermarket charger that does this but it is prohibitively expensive (very configurable).

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I was thinking maybe a James Bond-like button to go to slicks/tread at a moment’s notice.
I'd rather have a mounted gun :). We have rabbits :LOL:. Although I could imagine using it becoming addictive, and move on to other things - old folk that are walking too slow :oops: :LOL:. No, the gun is a bad idea - imagine game of bike? :unsure: Or shooting out a log so that you don't have to jump it? :unsure:. No, no, bad idea, too much extra maintenance. And if other people had them, I'd get anxiety going to the bike park :(

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I did have an idea for front suspension. It is kind of a dynamic head angle - the more weight on the front, the slacker the head angle. I thought it could be an elastomer setup with some rigid guide to keep everything inline. Pivot point at the top of the head tube, elastomer at the bottom. 1 or 2" horizontal travel? I could imagine this being the next big thing. Trail bike while you're climbing, dh bike for the hard hitting descents.

I am surprised that the gun idea isn't more popular :unsure:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles