Box e-bike Drivetrain Review

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Quick catch up for anyone new to mountain biking in the last decade. You could easily be mistaken for assuming there are only two MTB drivetrain and gearing component manufacturers to choose between. It hasn’t always been this way and if you look hard enough there are alternative drivetrain component manufacturers out there but there’s no disputing Shimano and SRAM have had the market share for a good few years pretty much unrivalled. So when a new complete drivetrain option from relatively new kid on the block Box components arrived on my doorstep I was genuinely excited at the prospect of trying out an alternative.
Box Components
may be a new name to you but founded in 2011 by Toby Henderson they’re not exactly a brand new company. If you ever followed BMX or Downhill racing in the 90s you’ll no doubt recognise Toby’s name or perhaps his former company THE Industries. Toby is a man who’s roots are very firmly planted in off-road bicycle racing and his eye for detail and...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
I'm running the Box 2 eleven speed 50 tooth cassette with their xtra wide range derailleur on a 1600 watt mid drive bike I built for my wife. I have to run a 42 tooth front chain ring so I needed the big range of gears.
I love the Box component package! I find it shifts better than Shimano and SRAM.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
If I saw this a few days ago, I would have considered this as an option to replace my worn ex1.

I've got some xt, xtr goodness coming from CRC before they stop shipping shimano to the states.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
Good review! I can't see buying this for any other reason than wanting something 'different'. The 11 speed Shimano with 11-46 cassette is dirt cheap compared to anything else and the range is perfect for any ebike (in my opinion). But it's nice to have options...

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Good breakdown on this. Curious how the long term test goes in regards to cassette wear and chain stretch and failure. I still think companies could be utilizing bmx chains in conjunction with rohloff E14 hubs like zeroed tried with shimano alfine hubs within the pivot(2 chains , no tensioner)
HSP bikes would be a good candidate. But maybe the high main pivot 4 bar linkage bikes like the new gt and Scott pronto with split pivot would be best(low center of gravity and centralized weight and low unstrung weight with no cassette, free hub and derailleur)

43856ED7-1A34-4569-916D-0DA70A03D829.jpeg

C9752D28-8BF3-4154-9729-EF1757F7BFB0.jpeg

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I was really interested in Box when they had there first drive train, with the shifters with the single lever, I was really intrigued by the concept and like the idea of how it worked.

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
Nice detailed review - and it looks like Box have tried hard despite getting the cassette all wrong (weight and range) - lets wait for Box Take 2.....

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
The whole group is $279.99, which is the same price as a X01 cassette. The cassette is made out of steel so it's not exactly a high end item; so the weight is to be expected

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Nice detailed review - and it looks like Box have tried hard despite getting the cassette all wrong (weight and range) - lets wait for Box Take 2.....
He shoots..... and misses by a mile. This is designed to be a cheap, durable, simple drivetrain for the masses, almost all of whom like plenty of range on the cassette and don't care about the weight. If you want lightweight options there are plenty of higher end, far more expensive options.

Last edited:

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Fair enough @Gary. I stand by the comment about gear range though - the vast majority of riders like wide ranging 1x drivetrains for winching themselves up the steepest inclines, even if in the main they will use the lowest ratios relatively infrequently on an ebike.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You're saying you *need* that 50T? and a 46T (or 42T) simply wouldn't cut it for you?
The difference between a 46T and 50T lowest sprocket is actually pretty small but fair enough.
Preferred/required gearing range varies massively from rider to rider. This is why we have choice. choice is good! ;)

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Agreed - I personally am happy with a 46, though I live in a pretty flat location. I would not be happy with the very small 32 tooth cassettes our Wiltshire friend enjoys though, and I don’t think I’m alone there.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Hey Gary, are you still riding this set up? This stuff is looking better and better. Im finding 9spd is probably spot on. Im not shifting near as much on the eeb. Curious how the durability has been and how youre getting on with these. Cheers

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles