Bosch Powertube Battery Charge Management

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I have had a reply from Bosch about the need to unplug the charger from the battery before unplugging the charger from the mains: this is a design requirement. (Do it the other way around and the motor will not start). This requirement is not stated in the manual.

Hi Graham,
Thanks for your email,
This is a safety feature, as you said this is by design.
If you remove the charger from the battery first then the battery should work well.
Best regards
Your Bosch eBike team
George Edem
Robert Bosch GmbH
Internet: www.bosch-ebike.com

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Is this gen 4?
Pretty sure I've done it both ways with mine and never had a problem.

Yes. This is for the new CX Generation 4.

It surprised me because companies like Hope (for their lights) are very explicit about the connection/disconnection order. The disconnection sequence is not noted anywhere in the Bosch manual and caused me stress the first time I loaded the battery into the brand new bike and the whole lot stayed dark. Happily I was close to the charger so could try it the other way around. Had I had my usual 10 minute walk to the garage, that would have been a different matter... :mad:

WilkyWay

Dec 26, 2019
Durham UK
I tried this with my Trek Rail battery after reading your original post, unplug main socket before battery connection and it worked fine....

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I’ve charged my Rail battery (not in the bike) 4 times now.
Each time I switch the charger off at the wall, and then pull the plug out of the battery.
Each time it works fine.
Is that not contrary to what Bosch are saying?

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Same with my Rail, works fine when mains is turned off first.
Have noticed it turns the bike on though

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I’ve charged my Rail battery (not in the bike) 4 times now.
Each time I switch the charger off at the wall, and then pull the plug out of the battery.
Each time it works fine.
Is that not contrary to what Bosch are saying?

Yup. It is indeed. :cautious:

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I have had a reply from Bosch about the need to unplug the charger from the battery before unplugging the charger from the mains: this is a design requirement. (Do it the other way around and the motor will not start). This requirement is not stated in the manual.

Hi Graham,
Thanks for your email,
If you remove the charger from the battery first then the battery should work well.
Best regards
Your Bosch eBike team
George Edem
Robert Bosch GmbH

This doesn't make any sense to me ... also if it's by design they should clearly mention this in a manual ...

Hyp4r

Oct 3, 2019
New Zealand
Can’t believe it would make any difference - whatever way you disconnect you still get the same result- the power supply is interrupted.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Can’t believe it would make any difference - whatever way you disconnect you still get the same result- the power supply is interrupted.

Not entirely true: The battery for Hope lights has to be connected to the mains after connecting the charger to the battery. The battery management system in the charger needs to read the state of charge before it's connected to the mains. Failure to do this and the battery just doesn't charge. Disconnection is the reverse. This is made clear in the Hope instructions provided with their lights.

So, on the one hand, I can believe it because Hope require something similar (but in the opposite order). On the other hand, no other Bosch owner seems to have this difficulty. :unsure:

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I tried this with my Trek Rail battery after reading your original post, unplug main socket before battery connection and it worked fine....

Yup. Decided Bosch were bullshitting me: I got the chance to test this with a different powertube using the same charger and bike. Doesn't make any difference which way round I disconnect the power.

That leads me to believe that there may be a problem with my powertube. As it looks like I may be having a trip to the Bosch Expert Centre about something else, I'll be discussing this with them...

Darren

Sep 25, 2019
Warwick
The first time I charged up my PowerTube battery I did it off the bike and when I installed back in the bike it wouldn't turn on - plugging back into the charger for a second fixed it.
Unfortunately I can't remember if the charger was on or off when I first plugged into the battery.
I now have my charger permanently plugged in and charge on the bike and never had the problem again.
Assuming the charger was off initially the first time, this backs up what Bosch are saying.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
The first time I charged up my PowerTube battery I did it off the bike and when I installed back in the bike it wouldn't turn on - plugging back into the charger for a second fixed it.
Unfortunately I can't remember if the charger was on or off when I first plugged into the battery.
I now have my charger permanently plugged in and charge on the bike and never had the problem again.
Assuming the charger was off initially the first time, this backs up what Bosch are saying.

Yes, it was the first charge for that particular powertube. I haven't actually tried with this particular battery again because it's a 10 minute walk to the garage and a pig of a hill to ride the bike up if the battery doesn't switch on. Sounds like it may be a "first time" thing, though. Perhaps I'll give it a play.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills

Hi Graham,
Thanks for your email,
Best regards
Your Bosch eBike team
George Edem
Robert Bosch GmbH

Thanks,
That should hopefully solve the problem because at the moment upon inserting the battery into the bike, the patient shows no life unless I plug the charger directly into the bike for 2 seconds like some kind of defibrillator to get the heart going again ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles