Bosch Performance Line Gen 2 CX - a dog?

maker

Feb 13, 2020
North Wales
I've had my e-mountain bike for 14 months and has a Bosch Performance Line CX Gen 3, i.e. not the one introduced during 2019. In the14 months it was replaced under warranty, software needed reprogramming, and today started to get noisy like it did before it was replaced last time. Getting worried I searched the interenet and found people had problems particularly with bearings. Luckily the shop have been good at sorting the warranties,
Are these rare problems and I have been unlucky, or are these a known problem motor?

Reactions: MB1

Maxb

Patreon
Nov 29, 2018
South East England
Sounds like a new motor under warranty with a fresh 2 year warranty it's a bit of a pain but the Bosch warranty is very good.

I regularly grease the main bearing seals to keep it running smooth.

maker

Feb 13, 2020
North Wales
Bike shop said Bosch will replace motor, and they will ask Bosch what more I can do to get less downtime, such as the Mudstop seal better.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Are these rare problems and I have been unlucky, or are these a known problem motor?
I went through 4 motors in under 2500 miles, so no, you haven't been unlucky. The Bosch warranty is excellent and resets with each new motor so I wouldn't worry about it.
Get a Mudstop from @Bearing Man and it should help.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Sadly, the MudStop won't fit the Gen 3 motor. Odd why someone is using a Gen 3 on a mountain bike though? They were normally only fitted to road bikes?
This is the Gen 3 range of Bosch motors

Bosch Gen 3.jpg

bosch-performance-line-Gen 3.jpg

asmar

Mar 7, 2020
Crete, Greece
Just for a reference, I've got also one Gen2 with 5000km on it without any problem. I do however live in a very dry area compared with the UK.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Wet rides. I wash with a dribble from a brush. Splashing and rain has more force.

Yeah I do the same. I take chain off and use Works hydroshot on low power sprinkle mode (as forceful as rain drops) then I get the cassette cleaning tool in there to pick out the mud. When out riding I stay away from puddles as best I can.

The worst occasion we had was a trek through clay mud which completely jammed the whole of the front chain ring and chain together which meant the crank would not turn at all. Had to use Allen Keys to scrape out the mud either side of the chain on that occasion just to get the crank turning again.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles