Bosch Performance Line CX gen4 piggyback battery

Mattzzzzzz

Oct 2, 2020
Nottingham UK
Hi All,
I have a Whyte E160S and I am looking at doing longer rides in the Peaks when we get out of this lockdown.
My question is do you think Bosch will ever develop a piggyback battery/Range extender you can just plug in and probably use the bottle cage holes like other brands do?
I have done a bit of research and it seems Bosch have built in tech that does not let aftermarket batteries “communicate” with the system so its probably a no for anyone trying to hack something together.
I have also heard there may be a bigger battery so any news on how big this battery pack is?

thanks

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
some of the bosch bikes have the ability to take a piggy back battery, you could look to see if you could adapt your whyte to use the official bosch piggy back system even though it doesnt have the mounts for it.

If you go to the orbea spare parts website (Spare Parts — Orbea ) you can buy all the bits needed to retrofit the piggy back battery to a wild FS, no reason that this shouldnt work with a whyte, if you can find a way of attaching the battery holder to the frame and route the extra wiring.

Heres the battery holder
WILD FS 2020 EXTERNAL BATTERY HARDWARE KIT — Orbea

the wiring loom, battery, and mounts are available from a bosch dealer, then you'll need to get the bosch firmware changed to tell it that you have the piggy back battery.

Its that or carry a spare battery in your bag and swap when you run out of juice,but I think that the whyte is not easy to remove the battery.

Mattzzzzzz

Oct 2, 2020
Nottingham UK
Thanks for this, yes re: removing battery is a pain due to frame design hence why I sort of discounted carryjng another full battery as they are long too but a piggyback system sounds good I will have a look at the orbea system
Thanks

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
battery.png
battery 2.png

jerry

Dec 22, 2018
Belgium
Didn't miss it.... sure, there's bound to be room for the battery holder, but not for the battery itself. And I dare say mounting it elsewhere on the bike is going to be really, really troublesome.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Didn't miss it.... sure, there's bound to be room for the battery holder, but not for the battery itself. And I dare say mounting it elsewhere on the bike is going to be really, really troublesome.
ok, a bit pendantic.

I was just offering up ideas to the op, obviously I have no idea if they will work in reality, I dont offer any warranty implied or explicit with any of my posts.

jerry

Dec 22, 2018
Belgium

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Never seen one in the flesh, but BMZ do a range extender in bottle cage format, and are a reputable company who make the OEM batteries for a lot of companies

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles