Bosch part to instal 400/500w battery on 600w bike socket?

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
More details please? There is no 600wh battery. Only a 625. Are u talking about powertubes?
yes of course 625 to be accurate. Looking info about the part to use 400/500 wh powertubes on 625 wh mount .

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I haven't seen it eiter. I know my LBS said it is not too difficult to convert from 625 to 500, however, it is not soething you can / Would do on a bike ride. Meaning If you want a second battery, it should be the same size as the one you already have.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
This is how Focus do the 500W battery in the 625 powertube compartment. The "spacer" contains the locking mechanism, which is different on Focus bikes to others I've seen. In fact, each manufacturer seems to have a different locking and retaining system. So I guess you are limited to getting the carcass from your bike's manufacturer unless someone starts making pattern parts.

P1020231.JPG

Reactions: ggx

fisha

Feb 17, 2020
Scotland
As mentioned above, it'll vary depending on bike make. I have a 2020MY Cube Stereo Hybrid 140. I wanted the 500W model in a green colour, but the only green ones were 625.
So what they did was change the bracket in the downtube. It basically has moved the locking clip closer to the motor. Having look at it all with the battery out, the overall mounting setup has 2 sets of holes for the locking clip which are each marked 500 or 625.

It looks like they have simply unbolted the locking clip from the 625 holes and put it in the 500 position.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
That is correct. I spoke to my LBS, and they said it is a relatively simple conversion. Unfortunately complicated enough that it is not an option to do in the middle of a bike ride, so it is not possible to have mixed battery sizes and swap them during a bikeride.

Last edited:

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
SO there are two solutions.
1. The "spacer" displayed in the pic for the 400/500w unit and mentioned by Bosch in the realese info about the new system. Don´t have news about the availability and price of the think until this moment.
2. Moving the locking clip installed in the bike.

WilkyWay

Dec 26, 2019
Durham UK
Here are a 625 and a 500 lined up, the 625 is from my Rail and the 500 is off the wife’s powerfly.
If you were to buy a spare battery only I don’t think it’d be impossible to swap them over during a coffee and cake stop, I’d imagine it’d take no longer than 20 minutes, bike dependant. Not ideal though.
AD3DE63E-D3A9-431C-BFDD-55ECAE6E4A0B.jpeg

F57F5D53-0D03-472E-AA58-B05E59D04AF9.jpeg

F8437907-FCBF-4EAE-B1CE-1953A50DA0A4.jpeg

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
From a distance they looked similar to the Powertubes off our Focus bikes. Similar packing piece to make up the space. But I now see that Trek are using vertical Powertubes and Focus use the horizontal ones. Oh the permutations! Oh the chances to make a wrong purchasing choice! :sick:

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Here are a 625 and a 500 lined up, the 625 is from my Rail and the 500 is off the wife’s powerfly.
If you were to buy a spare battery only I don’t think it’d be impossible to swap them over during a coffee and cake stop, I’d imagine it’d take no longer than 20 minutes, bike dependant. Not ideal though.

I've done it once because my bike (Trek Rail 5 625wh 2020) arrived with wrong 500wh battery instead of the correct 625wh. You need two different size torxheads and around 10-20minutes time. Quite easy job.

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
The Orbea Wild FS has the lock/latch fixed on the top of the down tube. You can’t move this part. You can move the bottom part where the electrical connector is to adjust for longer or shorter battery. This makes it harder to do as the blue paper said you have to take the motor out to do this. I’m in process to buy the spacers that Trek sells for their battery so I can use the 500w with spacers for the 625w slot. Once the spacers comes in, I’ll post an update.

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
Update on this. First I have Orbea Wild FS. Changing battery from 625 to 500 require moving the bracket (wire side) down. The blue paper said motor has to come out but I managed to do it without taking motor out.

The Bosch battery dimension are the same either vertical or horizontal. The only difference is the plate where the electrical connector is. You can change vertical config to horizontal config just by changing this part.

On the other side is locking mechanism. This varies depending on bike manufacturers. However it is simply a part that bolt on top of the battery.

I bought Trek battery spacers as I searched and they seem to be the only manufacturer offering the spacer retail, even though trek uses vertical and my Orbea uses horizontal.

This is very easy and I just unbolt the locking mechanism, bolt the spacers, and bolt the locking mechanism on top of the spacers.

So now I can swap battery between 500 and 625. I also have the benefit of slightly lower center gravity if I’m running 500 albeit with slightly higher overall weight (addition of spacer).

191DDB16-8A08-4F48-AE2A-92714755836B.jpeg

DD7D31E9-BF83-4C03-80C2-4EC30CAEA72E.jpeg

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
Depending on how it mounted on the bike, you will need the side supported. The bending force on those rods are probably stronger than the threaded inserts on the battery is designed for.

Jyrmy

Jul 30, 2020
Finland
Depending on how it mounted on the bike, you will need the side supported. The bending force on those rods are probably stronger than the threaded inserts on the battery is designed for.
Ofc its supported, pic is from 'desing' phase... 3 rods in final, between those rods there is block made from wood to keep it steady... Seems to work fine even in bike parks etc..

fisha

Feb 17, 2020
Scotland
So does the end piece with the clip on just un bolt from the end of the battery to allow something to be inserted inbetween ?

I hadn't though about wood ... such a simple material to use as well .... duh!

Jyrmy

Jul 30, 2020
Finland
So does the end piece with the clip on just un bolt from the end of the battery to allow something to be inserted inbetween ?

Yes. Very simple..
You know that spacers from trek is only $24. :)
I applaud your diy, though
Yes, when i made thssat
You know that spacers from trek is only $24. :)
I applaud your diy, though
Sure, now. Not sure if it was available or i did not find any. Local bosch dealer was no help either..

Now trek has one, and moustache bikes have one also.

I might change it to one later, though it works fine and did not cost 'anything'. Had materials already..

MTB565

Mar 22, 2020
Sweden
Might pick up a 2020 Trek Rail 5 with the 500wh battery. Is it correct that a spacer is available to make the 500 battery the same size as the 625, making switching between as easy as two battery of the same wh? If i decide to pick up a second 625wh battery.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles