Bosch motor upgrade to 85nm

WWJ

Jun 4, 2020
Rhondda
Hi
Can anyone help regarding my question as to whether or not the motor on my 2020 Trek Powerfly 5 purchased in April this year is able to have the 85nm update.
Cheers.

Darren66

Mar 7, 2020
uk
Hi
Can anyone help regarding my question as to whether or not the motor on my 2020 Trek Powerfly 5 purchased in April this year is able to have the 85nm update.
Cheers.
If it's the cx performance gen 4, then yes.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Looks like the trek powerfly 5 (2020 version) has the larger chainring so I would say yes you can update the motor software to deliver 85nm

M1Zell

Jul 18, 2020
Dubai
My wife recently bought the same bike and the upgrade was offered by the dealer. She will have it done at first service.

WWJ

Jun 4, 2020
Rhondda
Had my bike updated by LBS this afternoon as it was the Gen 4 motor.
I have just returned from a 1000ft climb & 18 mile loop ( mix of fire road/mountain trails ).
The first thing I noticed was the pick up from start in emtb mode up to 15mph when assistance cuts out, it seems to be quicker & also improves my cadence when climbing long section.
Also the tour mode seems to have an improved amount of assistance, hopefully this w help to conserve a little battery power on flat surfaces.
I have not noticed any improvement in turbo mode, however this may be a result of the improvement in the emtb mode, I will give update on overall performance after a few more rides.

Jay355

Apr 10, 2020
East Anglia
Had my bike updated by LBS this afternoon as it was the Gen 4 motor.
I have just returned from a 1000ft climb & 18 mile loop ( mix of fire road/mountain trails ).
The first thing I noticed was the pick up from start in emtb mode up to 15mph when assistance cuts out, it seems to be quicker & also improves my cadence when climbing long section.
Also the tour mode seems to have an improved amount of assistance, hopefully this w help to conserve a little battery power on flat surfaces.
I have not noticed any improvement in turbo mode, however this may be a result of the improvement in the emtb mode, I will give update on overall performance after a few more rides.
Had the update on Tuesday, although not ridden yet in anger I did have a quick spin around the car park after the service/update to try it, firstly i noticed it defaulted to sport mode instead of emtb on installation. I had previously read a thread by a forum member that it needs a tick box on installation to rectify. The bike tech explain it upgrades,Tour, Sport and Turbo and that is why he set it that way, he explained that it isn't as effective in emtb, but my wife finds emtb easy so we stuck with it.

Will see how it performs over the weekends rides.

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
Upgrade done. There are four options, I have 165mm cranks so chose the EMTB 165 upgrade.

Has it magically transformed it, I didn’t think 10nm would.

I thinks it’s more subtle, just done my usual 10ml off road circuit with climbs. 46mins which is faster than same loop previous night.

Average speed is higher, generally running in a higher gear now, accelerates up hill ??

That boost on technical up hill ?, just a push and the pedal spins up the motor and pops over roots without giving it a full revolution, that’s weird and fun.

Wouldn’t say it’s like chalk and cheese, but it’s worth doing if anyone’s thinking of it.
Local Cube dealer charged me £20 and it took less than 10mins.

WWJ

Jun 4, 2020
Rhondda
I thought I would give an update on the 85nm upgrade carried out last week, I have just returned from a 1200 foot climb with a mate on his Haibike, he last rode with me a day before my bike was upgraded.
i have no doubt the upgrade has made a noticeable difference particularly in embt , I am able to climb without resorting to using the turbo mode too often, it has also improved the acceleration off the mark in embt mode.
I am unable to comment on tour & eco mode as I do not use on my loop.
The upgrade gives you more grunt when you need it most, also the feature that allows you to push you forward with a little spurt comes in handy when tackling rock & tree roots.
Do not expect to see any difference to the bikes top speed before the motor cuts out, that remains unchanged.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles