Bosch Gen4 gets more power, is faster than Turbo Levo in drag race

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
This just goes to show how the software is as important as the motor itself, power is nothing without control etc etc

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I don't think it is, had mine done yesterday, doesn't feel any different, even though I was told it was the new software.
The review on Ebike-Mtb says its not that noticeable for most riding

"If you’re hoping to use the update to make your current motor a lot stronger, you’ll be disappointed. While the update increases the torque of the Bosch Performance Line CX by 10 Nm, in most riding scenarios you won’t even notice the difference, because both the maximum support of 340% and the peak power output remain unchanged. On the trail, you won’t notice the additional torque even when riding in the Turbo mode at higher cadences, because the motor reaches its maximum power at a lower torque. You’ll only notice the difference between the “old” and “new” software when pedalling at lower cadences, approximately below 70 rpm. On the trail this offers real advantages, especially on short climbs and when accelerating out of corners. Here the updated motor accelerates more willingly and responds more dynamically, even if you’re riding in the wrong gear at a low cadence."

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I disagree with that Ebike article.

We (@TheBikePilot and Adam) instantly noticed a difference, not necessarily in the max output, but the on the initial pedal strokes from a stand still. It’s like night and day compared to the original.

And to be honest most riding on trails is from low speed / stopped to moving rather than flat out max pace it’s likely that most users will notice a big difference in everyday riding.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yes I cant imagine from your vid that you wouldnt notice the change, especially on the terrain you are riding.

MsO

Dec 11, 2018
swindon
Gonna keep my speed box 3 on when I get the update done be interesting if it flags up anything

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Do you have to take it to the LBS for the update or can you do it at home. My LBS has a 2 month backlog at the moment.
Unfortunately all Bosch motor updates have to be done at the local LBS.
Wow there are some pretty cool Kiox upgrades too.
You will be able to do navigation with the Kiox. It needs to be connected to your phone. I can see this as being great news when navigating when it is pissing down with rain (Otherwise I have my phone on my stem).
Also it will be possible to create your own screen layouts.
Software update this summer sometime.

Last edited:

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Gonna keep my speed box 3 on when I get the update done be interesting if it flags up anything
I'd be interested in this to.
My conspiracy theory head is saying Bosch is using this update as a trojan horse to get users to update to an untrickable version

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I'd be interested in this to.
My conspiracy theory head is saying Bosch is using this update as a trojan horse to get users to update to an untrickable version

It was night and day so I'm not sure that the update you got was the latest. I believe the one most LBS have at the moment prevents you from getting spurious 504 errors. You'd know at the first crank if you had the new update :)

It felt like I was riding an eMotoX and put the same smile on my face like the first time I rode and eBike.

Last edited:

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
As I have stated two of us had our Trek rail software updated to the latest a couple of days ago.
We have both had the bikes since January and they have been error free.
Today after about 10 miles my friends one come up with a 510 error.
It couldn't be reset at the trail so went to dealer but they couldn't fix it either.
Now got to wait for Bosch to get back to us.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
As I have stated two of us had our Trek rail software updated to the latest a couple of days ago.
We have both had the bikes since January and they have been error free.
Today after about 10 miles my friends one come up with a 510 error.
It couldn't be reset at the trail so went to dealer but they couldn't fix it either.
Now got to wait for Bosch to get back to us.

Ah Jesus no way.. ?

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
You'll start looking for the ugliest steepest parts of uphill trail just for fun challenges ?
Yes that may turn out to be a problem in a while as the downhill tracks will become attractive to bloody ebikers wanting to ride up them. I can imagine the howls of outrage as $20 000 worth of gear become mangled together.

I most of the reviews of the software update they talk of the increase of horsepower means less chain shifts & less wear. That doen't make sense to me, I thought the extra torque would be more of a strain than shifting with power eased off.

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
Yes that may turn out to be a problem in a while as the downhill tracks will become attractive to bloody ebikers wanting to ride up them. I can imagine the howls of outrage as $20 000 worth of gear become mangled together.

I most of the reviews of the software update they talk of the increase of horsepower means less chain shifts & less wear. That doen't make sense to me, I thought the extra torque would be more of a strain than shifting with power eased off.
My Trance that I've just sold had all the torque down low and did 2000km on a chain and cassette, definitely less gear changing on climbs compared to mate on bosch bike, shifting under power def hurts components more than a bit more torque on its own. In my head I'm happy to have slightly more maintenance on drive train for the fun factor the ebike give me tho haha.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Looks like it only gives max power in Turbo mode;

IMG_1111.jpg

IMO this is a good thing; it means that for most of my riding range won’t be adversely affected as I mostly use EMTB.

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
I have Orbea Wild FS H30 with Bosch and Giant Reign E+1 with Yamaha. I just updated the Yamaha through the app! So easy. I wish Bosch let us user update it through an app. No need for LBS visit. The Yamaha increased their max support from 340% to 360%. Also all the 5 level is customizable. Motor wise I’m loving the Yamaha. I’m also slightly faster in the Giant before the update. The Giant instill more confidence to me.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles