Bosch Gen4 gets more power, is faster than Turbo Levo in drag race

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
Would be cool to compare the 2 Focus Jam2 bikes, which comes with both Shimano E8000 and Bosch Gen4 motors.
Then the bike differences/gearing/weight is eliminated in the "drag race" :)

But anyway....it's very cool that they can (and will) update the power output !
They must have started low to see the user faults, and decided that it would be safe to pump it up.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
MBR article... No mention of them addressing the clatter/rattle on descents though. Hadn't they previously said they were going to try and address that with a software tweak?

EDIT - According to this article in EMTB magazine there is nothing on the rattling issue in this update.

Last edited:

Shane(NZ)

Sep 4, 2019
NewZealand
Thats great to hear that bosch have stepped up with extra power and responce...big thumbs up

OMG are you riding a Rail...stop the press! ;-)

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
Best of all, it sounds like it is backward compatible with 2020 model year motors too. 13% more free torque.

Does anyone know the software version for this latest update? My Trek Rail is currently running 1.0.3.0.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
thats really cool, love the idea of the emtb mode and higher power/torque etc, makes me want a bosch powered bike.. but I wont buy one because the customer service simply wont be up to Berkshire/Raceco/specialized standards..
tell ya what though, if the customer service were the same and you could rock up and have a motor changed while you waited, that would make a big difference to my next purchase decision.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Raceco sell Bosch motored bikes and are a Bosch Service Centre...

Jus’ sayin’...

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
The Shimano E8000 is 70 NM isn't it... ?

Either way that's a nice improvement, interesting to see what Shimano come up with.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I believe the new Shimano motor is 85NM, also heard its a 48v system, or at least they are bringing out some motor that is 48v.

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Nice work from Bosch, I really like the new motor, the noise isn't an issue for me, but I do wish they would bring out more minimalist controls for it.

Totally agree, the noise is not an issue for me either. The purion display is fairly simple but appreciate not exactly minimalist ;). Agree with someone else's comment on another post, that it's also a bit bright at night!!!

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Raceco sell Bosch motored bikes and are a Bosch Service Centre...

Jus’ sayin’...
they aint far from me, do they stock motors etc the same way that Berkshire do?
my understanding was that the warranty process with bosch motors meant that it was a week or so before any replacement could be made?
if thats not the case and you can just get a swap out motor same day, that would be amazing.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I don't know if Raceco stock motors or not, but I do know that they and Berkshire are pretty unique in holding Brose motors in stock. Leisure Lakes certainly don't (to cite one example of a big chain not offering the same level of support as the two favourites).

Hotwhls67

Jun 25, 2020
USA
Best of all, it sounds like it is backward compatible with 2020 model year motors too. 13% more free torque.

Does anyone know the software version for this latest update? My Trek Rail is currently running 1.0.3.0.

I also have a Rail 7. How do you know which software version you are running on your bike. Is there a way to look that up on the purion display?

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
OK took a while for me to work out this is a software update not a motor update.
I've had my first ebike for a few weeks now & noticing that uphills can be as fun as downhills. I wonder if the nature of emtbing will change from the enduro style we currently ride where the tracks we seek won't just be a forestry road or firebreak uphill to the downhill track but back to the days of XC where the uphill is as important as the downhill.

Last edited:

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I wanted a cx gen 4 before this. Now more than ever. All the improvements are great. I havent tried one though. I dont think the clunking would bother me knowing it causes no problems and it seems like the bosch is the most durable motor. Thats the big thing. It sucks being without the eeb.
On another note, i appreciate that Rob covers the known clunk sound as well as durability issues in other motors, where some online reviewers skip that. I appreciate all the emtb coverage from all sources but some tow the company line . It can be a bit disingenuous. Its a head scratcher when thats what we're curious about. The issues arent helping bike/motor companies and buyers, and theyre fairly well known. They should always be addressed

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
OK took a while for me to work out this is a software update not a motor update.
I've had my first ebike for a few weeks now & noticing that uphills can be as fun as downhills. I wonder if the nature of emtbing will change from the enduro style we currently ride where the tracks we seek won't just be a forestry road or firebreak uphill to the downhill track but back to the days of XC where the uphill is as important as the downhill.
You'll start looking for the ugliest steepest parts of uphill trail just for fun challenges ?

speedkills

May 17, 2020
Boulder, CO
I don't understand, how can one 250w motor be faster than another 250w motor?

Just kidding, but I do find it odd they lie through their teeth about the wattage number but are such sticklers for the MPH numbers. I keep expecting one of them to put out a bike that lets you do 40mph* (Top speed limited to average 15mph, including time charging your bike in your garage). I mean, really, what is the relationship to the 250w in the spec at this point?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles