Bosch failures?

lcarron

Jun 1, 2019
Las vegas
Mine died 3 weeks ago at 2100 miles. The bike never saw the rain or mud. I just use water hose once in a while to remove the dust. I be live in Nevada with mostly 20% humidity.

Btw not only the main bearing died but the bearing clutch too that give a strange kick back when coasting.

Wait for the replacement to come. Very annoying that the Bosch process for replacement is so long as they need to receive the culprit motor first.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Mine died 3 weeks ago at 2100 miles. The bike never saw the rain or mud. I just use water hose once in a while to remove the dust. I be live in Nevada with mostly 20% humidity.

Btw not only the main bearing died but the bearing clutch too that give a strange kick back when coasting.

Wait for the replacement to come. Very annoying that the Bosch process for replacement is so long as they need to receive the culprit motor first.
This is a common story too. I do a lot of motors from hot dry countries and at the end of the day there are no seals other than the basic ones on the bearings, so dust or water, they will fail! MudStop and seal would help here (y)

May 30, 2020
St newlyn east
I must of been very unlucky i bought a cube acid 29er 400 wh and the gen 3 motor lasted a week a "510" fault code appeared and tredz ( dont ever buy from here very shit service ) and rhey have had it for 4 weeks still not fixed so im hoping the new motor lasts )

Maxb

Patreon
Nov 29, 2018
South East England
I must of been very unlucky i bought a cube acid 29er 400 wh and the gen 3 motor lasted a week a "510" fault code appeared and tredz ( dont ever buy from here very shit service ) and rhey have had it for 4 weeks still not fixed so im hoping the new motor lasts )
My has been at my LBS for 4 weeks the new motor has just arrived my LBS Bosch told then things are moving much slower at the moment due to the pandemic my last motor was replaced in a week.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
This is a common story too. I do a lot of motors from hot dry countries and at the end of the day there are no seals other than the basic ones on the bearings, so dust or water, they will fail! MudStop and seal would help here (y)

To remove the Bosch black plastic dust guard, do I just need to unscrew the steel chain guard or do I also need to remove the drive side motor cover?

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
To remove the Bosch black plastic dust guard, do I just need to unscrew the steel chain guard or do I also need to remove the drive side motor cover?
Just unscrew the chain guard, remove the sprocket o-ring if you have one. remove the sprocket and then use a sharp pick or small screwdriver to hook out the Bosch bearing cover.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
@Bearing Man. Just a random question.
Is it at all possible that the green tacky grease could actually find its way into the actual bearing. Could this happen over time? Certainly when I put a new dust seal in I could see I was exerting some pressure on the grease behind it.
I guess if this is in fact possible, then probably not a bad thing if some of this green stuff were to find its way into the actual ball bearings?

26C824F8-EB7E-4AA2-A908-021545B94316.jpeg

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Is it at all possible that the green tacky grease could actually find its way into the actual bearing. Could this happen over time? Certainly when I put a new dust seal in I could see I was exerting some pressure on the grease behind it.
I guess if this is in fact possible, then probably not a bad thing if some of this green stuff were to find its way into the actual ball bearings?
You always come up with the interesting questions Beekeeper :) It is not only possible, it will happen. However it is a comparable grease and should not cause any issue with longevity.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany

View attachment 33604
You haven't used your bike for too long!!! There's spider webs on it!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It says "Error" and not a number?

Back to the dealer with it.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
That'll be main bearing failure or torque sensor failure soon enough. :p

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Shimano E8000. Nuff said.?

High Rock Ruti

2016 Pivot Shuttle E8000 must be at least 3000 miles "NUFF SAID"

Recently Repaired a loose plug in the E8000 motor connects to the cable that goes from the motor to the battery. The positive socket was torched from a loose connection that had been electrically arching across the gap for sometime. Removed the plug from the motor held in by four small screws, the nut and washer had fallen off, but of course it was still around the four wires inside the motor case. (two large, two small) Cut the lock washer off the threaded plastic plug base, screwed the nut onto the threads on the plug, sealed with siliconed screwed tight. Found and bought a new battery cable for $90 USD, re-assembled (in reverse order), bike works. Let's see of it lasts? Pictures shows loose plug and re-installed with cut lock washer, the cut lock washer is for "demonstration purposes only" I really didn't leave it there.

This creates a dilemma! When your motor or your battery fails out of warranty on a four year old ebike, what do you do? The bike is worthless (except for four year old parts), drop $900 for motor, $500 for a battery?

20200530_124827.jpg

20200530_163603.jpg

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
High Rock Ruti

Recently Repaired a loose plug in the E8000 motor connects to the cable that goes from the motor to the battery. The positive socket was torched from a loose connection that had been electrically arching across the gap for sometime. Removed the plug from the motor held in by four small screws, the nut and washer had fallen off, but of course it was still around the four wires inside the motor case. (two large, two small) Cut the lock washer off the threaded plastic plug base, screwed the nut onto the threads on the plug, sealed with siliconed screwed tight. Found and bought a new battery cable for $90 USD, re-assembled (in reverse order), bike works. Let's see of it lasts? Pictures shows loose plug and re-installed with cut lock washer, the cut lock washer is for "demonstration purposes only" I really didn't leave it there.

This creates a dilemma! When your motor or your battery fails out of warranty on a four year old ebike, what do you do? The bike is worthless (except for four year old parts), drop $900 for motor, $500 for a battery?

View attachment 33998

View attachment 33999

Yes, the bike owes you nothing at that point. So if you love the bike...

taxidriver50005

Jun 17, 2020
Skelmersdale
If the grinding noise is ignored the bearing wears enough to lift the seals from the seats letting everything through to the motor, the enevitable fault codes are generally caused by water on the circuit board or as the freewheel gear eventually wears through the printed circuit board!
If you are out of warranty, ignoring the coffee grinder noise is the difference between a £15 bearing or a £600 motor!
Helpfull insight, and nice to know they can be repaired with a bearing kit, also good to know they can do big mileage in the right conditions and looked after, it's been a little worrying for me looking into getting ebike for the first time that motors can't be repaired economically but I've seen you vids and it looks like they can. ??

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
High Rock Ruti

View attachment 33999

:unsure:
I guess I'm easy to confuse... but the thread title says "Bosch Failures?".... and that motor has Shimano written on it.

When a Bosch motor fails, does it morph into a Shimano to hide its true identity? :unsure:

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
:unsure:
I guess I'm easy to confuse... but the thread title says "Bosch Failures?".... and that motor has Shimano written on it.

When a Bosch motor fails, does it morph into a Shimano to hide its true identity? :unsure:

High Rock Ruti

No if it morphed into a Shimano it would WORK!

Another person was teasing that if it was a Shimano it wouldn't be broken hence

"Shimano E8000 nuff said"

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
High Rock Ruti

No if it morphed into a Shimano it would WORK!

Another person was teasing that if it was a Shimano it wouldn't be broken hence

"Shimano E8000 nuff said"

Told you I was easy to confuse! ?

BTW, @High Rock Ruti , I think you put up your Purion display showing your error on another thread. That display reads "504 ERROR" in good, old fashioned, crap, dot matrix fashion.

High Rock Ruti
Bosch gen 4 error (word) on purion display motor losing power in turbo under load up hill......ANYONE?

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Told you I was easy to confuse! ?

BTW, @High Rock Ruti , I think you put up your Purion display showing your error on another thread. That display reads "504 ERROR" in good, old fashioned, crap, dot matrix fashion.

High Rock Ruti

2 hours 90 miles round trip, firmware flashed bike lives again.

Road 4 miles walked one mile on trail scouting mission 88 degrees 635 calories.

I'd like to recommend the blue evaporative vest, soak in water put it on the evaporation keeps you really cool great item in hot days

It's the wide angle lens and really not my belly hanging out under the vest....yeah right!

20200621_142550.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles