• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Bosch Error 504 With Speedbox 2

Damo_Oz

Mar 27, 2020
Australia
Hi,

New to forum and I come seeking advice!

Been running a Bosch Active Line Plus Gen 3 ebike with Speedbox 2 equipped. After 7000 enjoyable miles the drive unit completely failed (some sort of Electric error). The entire unit was replaced under warranty. Great..
Re-attached Speed Box and all was back to normal then probably 200 miles later Error 504 appeared and bike in limp mode. Have to say bike in limp mode is kinda better than bike in restricted mode!

I had to totally remove Speedbox and ride for about 90 mins for the error to go away (as described in Bosch 2020 anti tuning info)

Anyways all I can find on 504 in it's a tuning detection Error. Seemingly it was only introduced in model year 2020 drive units as can only see the error description in MY2020 bosch manuals.

So it would seem my 'old' brand new replacement Gen 3 drive unit has 2020 firmware/tuning detection built in - that's at least my guess given how little I can find on 504 on the internet?

I've had a couple of email exchanges with Speedbox who suggest I try a new one as they think they're compatible with 2020 units but it was hardly convincing.

Wonder if anyone else has seen this error with brand new drive units or any others?

Should I try another speedbox or is there proven alternatives that should avoid this?

IF this is brand new 2020 detection built in then apparently it's 3 strikes and then a visit to Bosch to get the error removed?

Any advice thankfully received?

Cheers,

Marc

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your informative post.

I encountered the same Error Code 504. with my TREK RAIL 7, with Bosch 2020 (Gen 4) Performance CX motor, running an up-sized 38T front chain ring.
I had SpeedBox2 installed, with Aug/2019 firmware installed to cater for 2020 Gen-4 motor.

The bike ran fine for over the past 3 months and is my daily ride to work. I ride 5 days a week.
Recently my work location has moved further, so instead of the 15km it is now 30km from home.
I previously covered this distance and return (60km) without issues, riding at an easier pace. However when I tried to maintain a faster pace (40-50 kmh average speed), upon almost completing my 30km ride, I encountered the 504 Error Code for the first time.

And thanks to your post, it gave me some indication about the distance and duration i need to ride in non-assisted mode to reset the error code.

Since it was an extremely tight fit to install the Speedbox2 on the TREK RAIL 7, I didn't remove the unit. Instead I enabled the 25kmh speed limit + ECO mode and continue riding the 30km / 90 mins without assistance. And sure enough, upon the next restart of the power, the 504 error code is gone. This is good news because it makes this 504 Error code managable, without the need to remove the Speedbox2.

And it gives me a rough idea of the condition upon which the 504 error code may be triggered. So I shall try to restrain myself for pushing the bike too hard for too long. By too hard, I meant riding in TOUR mode, at the highest gear (10T) & high cadence (100-120) maintaining 45-50kmh average speed for around 30km. It is only my last km that i encounter this error.

I have previously done high intensity rides like the above before, using a smaller 34T and spinning at speeds of 50-60kmh, but covering shorter distances around 15km without any issue.

I shall try to combine ECO and TOUR mode in my future rides, and also occasionally toggle the 25kmh limit on to see if I can consistently avoid encountering this 504 error code.
Shall post an future update to share my findings.

Hope this info may help with anyone experiencing this 504 Error code on Gen-4 motors.

Cheers,
Damo

Hi,

New to forum and I come seeking advice!

Been running a Bosch Active Line Plus Gen 3 ebike with Speedbox 2 equipped. After 7000 enjoyable miles the drive unit completely failed (some sort of Electric error). The entire unit was replaced under warranty. Great..
Re-attached Speed Box and all was back to normal then probably 200 miles later Error 504 appeared and bike in limp mode. Have to say bike in limp mode is kinda better than bike in restricted mode!

I had to totally remove Speedbox and ride for about 90 mins for the error to go away (as described in Bosch 2020 anti tuning info)

Anyways all I can find on 504 in it's a tuning detection Error. Seemingly it was only introduced in model year 2020 drive units as can only see the error description in MY2020 bosch manuals.

So it would seem my 'old' brand new replacement Gen 3 drive unit has 2020 firmware/tuning detection built in - that's at least my guess given how little I can find on 504 on the internet?

I've had a couple of email exchanges with Speedbox who suggest I try a new one as they think they're compatible with 2020 units but it was hardly convincing.

Wonder if anyone else has seen this error with brand new drive units or any others?

Should I try another speedbox or is there proven alternatives that should avoid this?

IF this is brand new 2020 detection built in then apparently it's 3 strikes and then a visit to Bosch to get the error removed?

Any advice thankfully received?

Cheers,

Marc

Feb 2, 2020
Dorset
Hi Marc,

I encountered the same Error Code 504. with my TREK RAIL 7, with Bosch 2020 (Gen 4) Performance CX motor, running an up-sized 38T front chain ring.
I had SpeedBox2 installed, with Aug/2019 firmware installed to cater for 2020 Gen-4 motor.

The bike ran fine for over the past 3 months and is my daily ride to work. I ride 5 days a week.
Recently my work location has moved further, so instead of the 15km it is now 30km from home.
I previously covered this distance and return (60km) without issues, riding at an easier pace. However when I tried to maintain a faster pace (40-50 kmh average speed), upon almost completing my 30km ride, I encountered the 504 Error Code for the first time.

And thanks to your post, it gave me some indication about the distance and duration i need to ride in non-assisted mode to reset the error code.

Since it was an extremely tight fit to install the Speedbox2 on the TREK RAIL 7, I didn't remove the unit. Instead I enabled the 25kmh speed limit + ECO mode and continue riding the 30km / 90 mins without assistance. And sure enough, upon the next restart of the power, the 504 error code is gone. This is good news because it makes this 504 Error code managable, without the need to remove the Speedbox2.

And it gives me a rough idea of the condition upon which the 504 error code may be triggered. So I shall try to restrain myself for pushing the bike too hard for too long. By too hard, I meant riding in TOUR mode, at the highest gear (10T) & high cadence (100-120) maintaining 45-50kmh average speed for around 30km. It is only my last km that i encounter this error.

I have previously done high intensity rides like the above before, using a smaller 34T and spinning at speeds of 50-60kmh, but covering shorter distances around 15km without any issue.

I shall try to combine ECO and TOUR mode in my future rides, and also occasionally toggle the 25kmh limit on to see if I can consistently avoid encountering this 504 error code.

Hope this info may help with anyone experiencing this 504 Error code on Gen-4 motors.

Cheers,
Damo

If you both have gen4 motors or the latest firmware on gen3 then you will need speedbox 3.0's as the
Hi Marc,

Cheers,
Damo

To clarify, do you have a speedbox 2.0? For Gen4 motors ideally you want the 3.0 as this has the ability to bypass the detection

RPM_Rider

Mar 28, 2020
USA
Speedbox 3 count down when I stop riding while I take off my helmet and get my things in order, otherwise it's been working great. I also installed a 20T from a 15T and can cruise easily at 18-25 miles per hour. Derailleur is a little tight but working to get that resolved. :)
20200407_203043.jpg
20200407_203023.jpg

Jayenmo

Mar 25, 2020
Nederland
Du all of the problems with the anti tuning software and the future updates from Bosch that probably recognise the dongles and losses the warranty.
I decided to cancel my ebike and order the speed variant so I can drive 45 km/h legally from Bosch it's point of view.
Since the speed bikes in the Netherlands are forst to drive on the road and has to have a license plate I wil take it of so I can drive on the bicycle road.

Marc_250

Sep 20, 2019
UK
Good to see Speedbox 3 appears to work. Anyone know how the the Bosch unit is detecting tuning? Not a current user (although it's still sat in the shed!) myself just intrigued how the Bosch unit was/is detecting tampering. Always thought some sort of long term 'trend' analysis or maybe even inbuilt GPS. Both would be kinda a surprise but given the countdown thing speedbox 3 appears to use is it GPS?

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
So for those people with a Speedbox 3 who have hit the error/limp home mode, is there any correlation to the mode your in and/or speed/duration you ride? Ie those speedbox 3 people who have hit the error were you doing long trips and/or riding at high speed in turbo mode?

People that go only slightly faster or turn off the speedbox 3 before they reach home to ride the last mile with it off, do you still get the error sometimes?

My new gen 4 Bosch powered Stilus arrives Saturday but I’m still unsure if there is any reliable solution out there...

riesemuller

Jun 6, 2020
Brussels
If you both have gen4 motors or the latest firmware on gen3 then you will need speedbox 3.0's as the

To clarify, do you have a speedbox 2.0? For Gen4 motors ideally you want the 3.0 as this has the ability to bypass the detection

Hi Georges,

i have the 504 problem on my RS multicharger with speedchip 2. (bought in sep 2019)
Is the speedchip 3 504error-proof?

i read someone who had the problem with a speedchip 3 too?

thanks!

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
What software version are you running Tribey, v1.0.2 or v1.0.3?

I’m on v1.0.2 and was thinking of upgrading but it’s £36 at my LBS and some people have hit the error in v1.0.3 which is supposed to fix it.

Does anyone know how frequently Bosch release updates ie how far v1.0.4 could be away?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Did you get the LBS to reset it or do the “ride for 90 minutes” method?

I got the 504 error yesterday and going to the LBS is a pain right now.

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
Did you get the LBS to reset it or do the “ride for 90 minutes” method?

I got the 504 error yesterday and going to the LBS is a pain right now.

I had to ride it for 60 minutes or so in Limp mode (torture!) back to my van.

The next morning I phoned my supplying LBS, who said, bring it in.
I took it in, they immediately had a look, wanted to know in what manner I'd switched the bike on, whether the cranks were moving and what I was doing when it occurred, they then took it into their workshop area (I couldn't see what they were doing because the workshop area was Covid barriered off) what seemed like 10 minutes later, they returned my bike, said they'd cleared the 504, couldn't find a fault, had taken it for a test ride, and all was good.

It's been good since.

Norkey

Jun 9, 2020
UK
I had to ride it for 60 minutes or so in Limp mode (torture!) back to my van.

The next morning I phoned my supplying LBS, who said, bring it in.
I took it in, they immediately had a look, wanted to know in what manner I'd switched the bike on, whether the cranks were moving and what I was doing when it occurred, they then took it into their workshop area (I couldn't see what they were doing because the workshop area was Covid barriered off) what seemed like 10 minutes later, they returned my bike, said they'd cleared the 504, couldn't find a fault, had taken it for a test ride, and all was good.

It's been good since.
Hi, I have had the same issue. It happened on Sw 1.0.2.0 so my LBS cleared the fault and updated me to 1.0.3.0 and I have had the bike back two weeks and the error 504 appeared again :(
Only owned the bike for 6 weeks!
Still awaiting feedback from Bosch them selves and also the LBS where I purchased the bike.
it’s a real pain when this happens and you can’t do anything but take the bike to an LBS to get it cleared but we need to understand why the fault appears and what it means. On both occasions my error 504 appeared after coasting for a minute or two.
Once I get more feedback I will share this.

Twlpyn

Jun 7, 2020
Llandeilo
Hi Marc,

Cheers,
Damo

In order to detect derestricting measures, could one of the things Bosch is doing is analysing cadence and speed, then based on the potential speed range of the cassette, if its far enough out by x% for a long enough period, it will throw an error. E.g. you change from a 34t chainring to 38t chainring and it throws the cadence out by enough from the expected speed range.

ossiehere

May 30, 2020
East Sussex
Same issue on gen 4 , done 800 miles on the motor with no issues or tampering with unit. Then shutdown to limp mode. 9 miles ride home . Looking at speedbox 3 if bosch dont fix it for nothing.

May 26, 2020
UK
BOSCH 4th GEN - 504 LIMP MODE post!

Just wanted to share some info and insights for Bosch Gen4 motors and tuning kits and the dreaded 504 limp mode code.

We spoke to the Speedbox factory directly about this issue, so here are some insights about Speedbox 3.0 and Limp mode:

Speedbox 3.0 tuning motors experiences limp mode (504) when the count-down is not done correctly for 3-4 times. The count-down is the way Speedbox walks-around the anti-tuning system from Bosch. When you ride the bike, you must leave the count down go to zero on the speedometer.
If you do interrupt the count-down for too many times (3-4 times in a row) then 504 error might pop-up. This 504 is easily fixed:
You have to completely uninstall the Speedbox and ride for 90 minutes with speed limits. The error then disappears.
If Bosch motor has 3 of these 504 errors - you might need to take the motor to the workshop where Bosch mechanic will reset the motor, but this voids the warranty then.
What else interrupts the countdown?
Once the ride is finished, you should wait till the count down stops to zero in order to charge the bike. Charging without waiting for the count down come to zero interrupts the countdown.
Another thing, sometimes when you ride and stop at a stoplight or take a breath - there is no other way just to pedal when the countdown is started, but its ok to interrupt one or two times in a row - its important not to interrupt it 3-4 times in a row.
Just be careful when the countdown starts to let it finish, whether it takes 10 seconds or 5 minutes.
1f642.png
:)

If you need tuning kits - we have them at Two Wheels Empire for all the ebikes (including Flyon TQ Haibike motors!)
Have fun and stay safe!

StilusBoy79

Mar 31, 2020
Uk
BOSCH 4th GEN - 504 LIMP MODE post!

If you need tuning kits - we have them at Two Wheels Empire for all the ebikes (including Flyon TQ Haibike motors!)
Have fun and stay safe!

Thanks for the informative post! Do u supply volspeed ? They seem to be immune from the countdown ?

cohalcristian

Mar 17, 2023
romania
hey guys , i ve encounterd the 504 error on my gen3 performance line using the speedbox 2.0 , went to the service , removed the speedbox , updated the firmware , and decided to try the hack with moving the magnet and the speed sensor . works for now , but does anyone know if i get the 504 again after 200-300 miles ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles