Bosch CX Gen 4 Mileage/Reliability

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Im guessing it must be just the cover as the motor is warranty sealed so even the bike shops don’t open them up, they just replace the whole unit if it ever fails.
They only get repaired once the warranty has expired currently no one repairs gen 4 as they are all too new to be out of warranty.

I’m pretty sure he said just the cover tbh.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
I bought the bike from Team Cycles on the Team Valley so I’ve been using them, not so local but easy to get too and easy parking.
Gotcha - thanks. I know them as it happens, but I was hoping for something more on the doorstep.

Never mind, it was worth asking - thanks again.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
I do all the work on my bikes myself, just warranty stuff I need the bike shop for.
Yeah, I do most of mine too - but it's nice to have a good shop within easy reach for parts, tools and whatnot.

And helmets. I'm after a new one, and I can't find the one I'm after anywhere in this neck of the woods.

Last edited:

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Yeah, I do most of mine too - but it's nice to have a good shop within easy reach for parts, tools and whatnot.

And helmets. I'm after a new one, and I can't find the one I'm after anywhere in this neck of the woods.

Ive tried loads, and settled on a Smith helmet, if that helps.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
The freehub still needs grease in it

The bearings dont need grease applying , but the freehub still needs grease in it, so I reckon your theory about the LBS putting too much grease (or maybe too thick grease) in it is a sound one.
I’ve just been out this morning and the delay is still there. It’s had to describe but it’s symptomatic of excessive backlash between sets of connecting gears being taken up, once the said gears are under load it’s ok, the motor is quite and assistance is constant....it’s just the initial take up. I’m going to change a couple things to try and eliminate components that might have an effect. Could the freewheel mechanism in the motor be suspect ? ...... canny use of free time in this Covid induced era we all live in.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
I’ve just been out this morning and the delay is still there. It’s had to describe but it’s symptomatic of excessive backlash between sets of connecting gears being taken up, once the said gears are under load it’s ok, the motor is quite and assistance is constant....it’s just the initial take up. I’m going to change a couple things to try and eliminate components that might have an effect. Could the freewheel mechanism in the motor be suspect ? ...... canny use of free time in this Covid induced era we all live in.
Or could it be the chainring moving slightly on the motor shaft ?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
There has always been a few
Or could it be the chainring moving slightly on the motor shaft ?

on my bike, there has always been a few degrees (maybe 10 degrees? hard to estimate) of movement in the cranks before the load is taken up, I always put it down to the freewheel mechanism in the motor and consider it normal . I dont know if what you're experiencing is just the same ie normal or something else - but you say it has got worse,so sounds like something is up.

Can you try another bike and see how that one feels?

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
There has always been a few

on my bike, there has always been a few degrees (maybe 10 degrees? hard to estimate) of movement in the cranks before the load is taken up, I always put it down to the freewheel mechanism in the motor and consider it normal . I dont know if what you're experiencing is just the same ie normal or something else - but you say it has got worse,so sounds like something is up.

Can you try another bike and see how

That’s sound advice, maybe I’m over thinking this. I’ll live with it for a while. My pals got a RS 160 so when these restrictions ease I’ll ask for a shot on his bike to compare
Thanks for showing an interest I really appreciate it. ?

Ash

Jan 21, 2021
Adelaide, South Australia
2021 Focus Jam2 6.9, motor in for replacement after 160km. Noisy from the first ride, eventually sounded terrible, only realised how noisy after being given a loan motor which was quieter and has more power. Still waiting on replacement and hopefully an explanation.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
The freehub still needs grease in it

The bearings dont need grease applying , but the freehub still needs grease in it, so I reckon your theory about the LBS putting too much grease (or maybe too thick grease) in it is a sound one.
Not happy with LBS.....stripped freehub today and found little free movement caused by rusty pawls and spring, also pawls lubricated with anti seize compound so also sticking.....20 mins later all cleaned, oiled and reassembled and working as new......why couldn’t they have done that in the first place.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
as per my thread on in the bosch section of the forum, my gen 4 cx motor has just broken, getting error 550 when you switch it on.

The motor has only done ~550 miles, its going back to the shop at the weekend, my money is on it needing a new motor. Hopefully this is just a one off failure rather than indicative of some weakness thats exposed by where or how I ride (ie in all weathers, through a lot of mud) , or maintain it (just hosing off with water , but still).

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
as per my thread on in the bosch section of the forum, my gen 4 cx motor has just broken, getting error 550 when you switch it on

The motor has only done ~550 miles, its going back to the shop at the weekend, my money is on it needing a new motor. Hopefully this is just a one off failure rather than indicative of some weakness thats exposed by where or how I ride (ie in all weathers, through a lot of mud) , or maintain it (just hosing off with water , but still).

Hope all goes well......??

Cavey76

Sep 19, 2020
Belfast
I was about 600 miles of boring reliability until this week when i experienced Error Code 550 on my Cube 160

bike going into CRC Monday for a quick diagnostic but my fears are Bosch Gen 4 Error Code 550 is a replacement motor job.

Davemtb

Jul 12, 2020
Australia
Hi All Im interested to find out what sort of mileage people have racked up on gen 4 motors and what if any issues they have encountered along the way.
Ill start then, I have covered 1100 miles so far in all sorts of mud and rain mostly off-road. I have had a 510 code at around 500 miles which cleared just by switching the bike off for a minute and once it just turned itself off with no code, turned it back on without even stopping and no problems since.
4500km first 6months commuting and off road, gen4 in Cannondale Moterra

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Got 4200 miles from motor, but alas a new one is on the horizon.
Nothing to do with the actual motor, it's still going strong.
It the motor mounts that have worn , causing squeaking, and one of the bolts that holds on the mount to the motor has snapped.
Was surprised that they are changing the whole motor, but not complaining.

Davemtb

Jul 12, 2020
Australia
Got 4200 miles from motor, but alas a new one is on the horizon.
Nothing to do with the actual motor, it's still going strong.
It the motor mounts that have worn , causing squeaking, and one of the bolts that holds on the mount to the motor has snapped.
Was surprised that they are changing the whole motor, but not complaining.
That’s interesting because although my 4500km Bosch motor is going strong, major creaking has developed around that area. The bike is in the shop the 2nd time, I’m not sure if the mechanic actually knows what the problem is, but he contacted Bosch and they said they would replace the motor! It sounds similar to your case. If Bosch is deciding to replace the motor so quickly makes me think they know there is a more regular issue at play. There’s another thread regarding motor area creaking that I’m sharing this on. There’s a few cases like this. I sense we might be hearing more about this as folks clock up the miles.

Davemtb

Jul 12, 2020
Australia
UPDATE: My bike is back, with a brand new motor.... woo hoo! The creaking has something to do with the mounting plate/bracket attached to the motor and associated bolts, not the motor mounting bolts that go into the frame. They mechanic said there is another bike in the shop with the same issue. I suspect a design weakness that Bosch are aware of hence they switched the motor out so quickly, no questions asked. Might be a few ticking time bombs out there, sadly you might experience this after your 2 year warranty is over. I do at least 6000km per year so any motor weaknesses will show hopefully before warranty is over. Now I got a new motor so the warranty is resent. The warranties for motors should be mileage based!

nasamorpheus

Jul 17, 2020
Ljubljana
UPDATE: My bike is back, with a brand new motor.... woo hoo! The creaking has something to do with the mounting plate/bracket attached to the motor and associated bolts, not the motor mounting bolts that go into the frame. They mechanic said there is another bike in the shop with the same issue. I suspect a design weakness that Bosch are aware of hence they switched the motor out so quickly, no questions asked. Might be a few ticking time bombs out there, sadly you might experience this after your 2 year warranty is over. I do at least 6000km per year so any motor weaknesses will show hopefully before warranty is over. Now I got a new motor so the warranty is resent. The warranties for motors should be mileage based!
I had similar issue at 4000 km on my CUBE STEREO HYBRID 140 but they tighten motor mounting bolts and creaking stopped. if there will be another issue I will remind them about mounting plate / bracket attached to motor. Thank you so much for your feedback, It will save many nerves in the future :) . I have problems with SRAM casette. I have to go back to LBS to tighten cassette for the second time now. Is it something wrong?

Davemtb

Jul 12, 2020
Australia
As I understand (I'm not exactly sure because I haven't sighted the issue - relying on discussion with mechanic) - The problem I had with the mounting plate/bracket is that when it becomes slightly loose it wears metal away and no matter how tight you make the main motor mounting bolts it will creak because some metal is worn away. The sad thing is they have to scrap the whole motor.
How long have you had you bike?

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Coincidentally I got my new motor back yesterday, installed it today and all good again.
I did notice on the new motor the bolts and mounts are exactly the same, so no new strengthened design.
The positives are, my mileage is know back to zero on the display where it was over 4000 miles before and secondly the dealer told me that the motor has a new 2 year warranty, so its like a new bike again ?

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
Had mine just over 1 year and only manged roughly 250 miles....i know,crazy !!! Just so busy with with work I.get so little chance to ride...even this week which I'm off work and still.cant seem to get out...warranty on motor should be miles related or atleast give 5 years for low use owners who still get bikes serviced

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles