Boeshield t9 wax experience?

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
It is all I have used for over 20yrs after getting turned on to it by a pro bike mechanic for maintaining chains and cables on many bikes. I get the 12oz. aerosol can and it lasts me over a year keeping at least 3 bikes going.

I use the needle nozzle to spray on and back wipe with a rag and that is it for the chain and have always gotten great chain life.

I turned a friend that was a Ti frame builder on to it years ago and he ended up using it as a finish coating on all is work. I have also used it on many other things like my table saw bed and anything that is squeaky like door hinges....highly recommend.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
It is all I have used for over 20yrs after getting turned on to it by a pro bike mechanic for maintaining chains and cables on many bikes. I get the 12oz. aerosol can and it lasts me over a year keeping at least 3 bikes going.

I use the needle nozzle to spray on and back wipe with a rag and that is it for the chain and have always gotten great chain life.

I turned a friend that was a Ti frame builder on to it years ago and he ended up using it as a finish coating on all is work. I have also used it on many other things like my table saw bed and anything that is squeaky like door hinges....highly recommend.
Seems very interesting stuff.
How does it perform in the winter with mud etc?
How many times do you need to lube the chain in winter, summer?

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Seems very interesting stuff.
How does it perform in the winter with mud etc?
How many times do you need to lube the chain in winter, summer?

I live in a wet climate, west coast of northern Oregon, USA, so it does just fine. I also live right on the coast so I ride sandy beaches. I apply about every 50 miles traveled I would say but don't keep a log I just visually check the chain pre-ride and apply before it needs it.

Only takes a few minutes as I keep the can and a rag and thin neoprene glove in a yoghurt container close to the door. If I get the bike particularly muddy as it is starting to get to that season here I rinse it off with a hose and brush and apply the lube then before putting it inside. Actually that is the proper way to use T-9 as it takes some time, overnight, for it to set up as a wax. I have applied to many bikes pre-ride though and it works well also.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I live in a wet climate, west coast of northern Oregon, USA, so it does just fine. I also live right on the coast so I ride sandy beaches. I apply about every 50 miles traveled I would say but don't keep a log I just visually check the chain pre-ride and apply before it needs it.

Only takes a few minutes as I keep the can and a rag and thin neoprene glove in a yoghurt container close to the door. If I get the bike particularly muddy as it is starting to get to that season here I rinse it off with a hose and brush and apply the lube then before putting it inside. Actually that is the proper way to use T-9 as it takes some time, overnight, for it to set up as a wax. I have applied to many bikes pre-ride though and it works well also.
So got a bottle today. When I shake the bottleneck is seems tin as water. Is that normal?

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
So got a bottle today. When I shake the bottleneck is seems tin as water. Is that normal?

It is that thin and why I prefer the aerosol can because it has some blast to it that helps to bed it deep into the chain and easy for other applications also. In the bottle form you kind of need to apply link by link which takes too much time IMNSHO. But it is still the same formula and will set up as a wax given a little time as suggested earlier.

I had a small bottle once as a carry along just in case on board kit years ago but no longer do that and if I'm about to ride with a friend that has a dry chain I offer to hook him up at the trailhead. I know its not earth friendly to use aerosol but sometimes you can't avoid it......if you have a small spray bottle in the shed you might just dump the bottle in there and try that?

Years ago on a mtb ride, pre Boeshield, into a remotish area my chain went dry and fortunately we came across a parking area at a lake and I bummed some 2 stroke oil from a fisherman with a skiff.....it worked and got me the 10 miles home.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
A little trowback to the boesshield.
I've been using this wax for over a months now and I must say it's one of the best I've tried.
Ridden a mix of think mud and sandy trails where the bike was fully covered in mud and still had a decent clean chain. Alot cleaner then wet and allround lube.

Cleaning has became easier then before, no real black chain. It just rinse off wrag ofver it and done.

Have you also tried spraying the cassette?

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I've been using this wax for over a months now and I must say it's one of the best I've tried.
Ridden a mix of think mud and sandy trails where the bike was fully covered in mud and still had a decent clean chain. Alot cleaner then wet and allround lube.

Cleaning has became easier then before, no real black chain. It just rinse off wrag ofver it and done.

I use a small brush to apply it to the cassette teeth

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA

Glad it is working out. I don't bother with lubing the cassette as I found out years ago that doing so, even with t-9 causes build up of crud between the cogs.....also I find that crud build up on the jockey wheels is less using T-9 overall.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles