Body armour?

Cakey boy

Aug 14, 2018
Hampshire
Hi looking to ride swinley and such like a bit more this year, and as I don’t get paid if I get injured, I was looking to invest in some light body armour, does anybody have any recommendations ? and any good deals out there ? Looking for possibly short sleeved top, shorts and pads ! Many thanks

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
A big thumbs up to the Troy Lee Designs range linked to by Dax. I have been using the elbow guards and the knee&shin guards for years now. They get machine washed at 40degC after every ride and have survived years of that. They are breathable so OK for the Summer ( UK summers at least). Another good thing is that they provide good protection in the Winter. I used to wear thermal tights in the winter, don't need to now. Just the Sealskinz socks and the knee&shin guards and my knee length baggies and I'm good to go!

Pay attention to the size guide and measure carefully.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Been using the 661 for a while now . I really like it , no rubbing or discomfort . I just put it on and forget it , it’s notbbaulky and still fits under most of my tops . I’ve had a few offs and Iam sure it’s saved me some bruising .
It’s too hot for summer use , but what isn’t , but when it’s cooler I wear a thin wicking shirt underneath and whatever the weather dictates on top . It breathes well and the back protector feels very good under a backpack , sizing is generous no neeed to but larger .
Got mine for 80 in a sale but at 150 I would still buy another

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I bought the 661 vest and shorts with built in protection pads. They are light, stretchy and fit well. The protection level is good but after two rides I couldn't stand them any more. OMG are they sweaty! They now are buried at the bottom of my bike clothing shelf (after washing of course!)

Minus 661, I went over the bars when descending Jacob's Ladder (rocky descent in the UK Peak District). I did a full forward body roll and ended up stood on my feet waiting for the pain to happen. There was none! While my bike continued to bounce down the trail I did a full body inventory and came up with "not a scratch" (and no bruises the following day either). That gave me confidence not to bother with the 661 vest and shorts again. Five years later and I've still not worn them even when going to Antur Stiniog (Uplift assisted Downhill MTB centre in Wales).

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I bought the 661 vest and shorts with built in protection pads. They are light, stretchy and fit well. The protection level is good but after two rides I couldn't stand them any more. OMG are they sweaty! They now are buried at the bottom of my bike clothing shelf (after washing of course!)

Minus 661, I went over the bars when descending Jacob's Ladder (rocky descent in the UK Peak District). I did a full forward body roll and ended up stood on my feet waiting for the pain to happen. There was none! While my bike continued to bounce down the trail I did a full body inventory and came up with "not a scratch" (and no bruises the following day either). That gave me confidence not to bother with the 661 vest and shorts again. Five years later and I've still not worn them even when going to Antur Stiniog (Uplift assisted Downhill MTB centre in Wales).
I don’t wear then in the summer , not tried the shorts ,iether but with a goid high wicking base layer underneath like a belly lifa that’s not a problem , and I really hate being sweaty , to the piont where I only buy the best wicking and breathable kit , which often comes from non cycling brands .
I did try the armour top next to my skin thinkin I would be cooler and yes that wasn’t nice at all .
Plus when it was new it seemed to have a sort of protective coating ,maybe silicone , to stop it sticking while packaged ? the first time I wore it , it rained and I wore a waterproof and the armour felt all slimy and wet , after a wash it’s fine .
Are you selling it , if so let me know

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Are you selling it , if so let me know

I hadn't thought about it, but now you mention it, I might as well. Lets start a conversation and I'll take some pics and check the sizes.
-----------------
I've just dug it out of my wardrobe and it is sub-armour; you were referring to armour. Sub-armour goes under your normal gear to add a bit of extra protection. Armour goes outside, which is what I think you may have meant.

Last edited:

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I hadn't thought about it, but now you mention it, I might as well. Lets start a conversation and I'll take some pics and check the sizes.
-----------------
I've just dug it out of my wardrobe and it is sub-armour; you were referring to armour. Sub-armour goes under your normal gear to add a bit of extra protection. Armour goes outside, which is what I think you may have meant.
Never heard the term sub armour , it’s just armour to me , this one SixSixOne Evo Compression Jacket - Long Sleeve 2018 | Chain Reaction Cycles

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
661 do a light weight short sleeve top and under shorts, Swear by the shorts and started using the top this season as I have switched to a fanny pack instead of a backpack, so a bit of (mental) back protection from the top.

They get washed after every ride 3 times a week and are still good after a couple of years. Using IXS Flow for elbows and knees.

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
I I've had a dainese gladiator jacket for 10 years and have used it mostly for Mx. It's been very good and is only starting to get a bit tired now. It still works but last year I got a couple new zips fitted. I would recommend you use elbow/fore arm pads, they have the most scratches on my jacket.

Cakey boy

Aug 14, 2018
Hampshire
Thanks for all the great advice as usual ! I’ve had my eye on the 661 stuff as my mate wears it and seems quite happy with it! Just need to find a good price and whether I go for shirt sleeves or long sleeves ? Thanks again ???

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
I ordered about every decent body armour going back when I started, abusing the free returns from CRC. The best (for me) was the bluegrass d30 one. It was lightweight and that stuff really moulds to you.

I wore it once and then sold it. Just didn't feel nice riding feeling like a storm trooper.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
IXS skid shorts for me, they are extremely comfortable and breath well, you don't know you have them on.
They just take the place of your regular under shorts as they have a chamious built in.

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
I use the ION knee pads and Elbow pads, zip up model.
Like them better then the alpine star and Troy lee. Specially when you put your shoes on first not thinking. :).
Since they zip up on inside you do t have to take shoes off. Comfortable and stay put.

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
Leatt impact shorts. I wear them every ride, and you dont feel them at all after the first few min. its def saved me alot of bruises

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles