BLEvo, the best thing for your Levo and Kenevo

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Nice, love that smart heart rate and power :) Dare I say it, but maybe BLEvo is the biggest reason when considering buying a Levo/Kenevo?

@Rob Hancill, first of all a great thanks to you for the great video which you have released today. I was really nice too to able to see all the BLEvo data in combination with your ride. You are an excellent reviewer!

@mark.ai, I think you certainly hit the nail on the head. BLEvo with its smart heart rate and smart power support, was one of the main reasons (besides the relative silent Brose motor design) why I decided to buy a Specialized 2019 Levo. Where actually all other manufactures are still working with fixed assistance settings (where I do know that Bosch offers an e-mtb mode), BLEvo helps me to get that natural mtb feeling by measuring and adjusting the power the motor to my physical condition. This was exactly where I was looking for but wasn't able to find at any other bikes which I tried until I walked into a local Specialized dealer.

@PaoloBLEvo, thank you for all the excellent work and all the continuous improvements! We all know that it's a hobby but with so much love and dedication it feels like a real profession. You are very good software engineer and I am sure you have earned a lot of credits already from lots of riders including me.

CrzyMD

Jun 30, 2018
Bakersfield, CA., USA
My understanding is that if you change anything in the software on the new Specialized software that comes on the new ebikes, that it will void your warranty. Specialized will be aware and is able to find it out. This is a change since the initial software package that came in v1.0 and now is changed in the new v2.0 from Specialized. Supposedly that does not allow any changes. So will the Blevo work with the new 2019 models and will it void your warranty?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
My understanding is that if you change anything in the software on the new Specialized software that comes on the new ebikes, that it will void your warranty
I believe that Specialized actually have designed in the ability for 3rd party app development into the bike so riders can get the most out of it (a bit like phone apps, enhancing user experience). Note: derestricting is NOT allowed and Specialized have purposely removed the ability for this to happen.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
My understanding is that if you change anything in the software on the new Specialized software that comes on the new ebikes, that it will void your warranty. Specialized will be aware and is able to find it out. This is a change since the initial software package that came in v1.0 and now is changed in the new v2.0 from Specialized. Supposedly that does not allow any changes. So will the Blevo work with the new 2019 models and will it void your warranty?

BLEvo (both the Android and iOS version) will work with the 2019 Levo. I can tell you with 100% certainty as I am an enthousiastic user myself.

BLEvo will not void your warranty as long as you don't derestrict the bike. For the Levo 2019 firmware 2.025 and newer this will not work anyway as Specialized blocked the adjustment of the wheel circumference setting. Actually like Rob already said.

BLEvo is just a very smart user interface developed by a very smart rider and software engineer. BLEvo will not change any bike firmware it will only control the assistance parameters in a more smart way than Mission Control is designed. Next to that BLEvo offers detailed data analysis functions, gpx tracks and maps. The app is constantly updated and more new nice features are going to be released soon.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I bought my first emtb about five weeks ago; I chose a Focus Jam2 and I'm very happy with it. But I can see that I would love to play with a Blocus (!) which I had no knowledge of when I was test riding. Although to be fair I may not have been in listening mode!
New toys are ace. Lets hope that this development a) lights a fire under Speccy to adopt Blevo and b) lights an even bigger one under Focus!

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Hi guys, there seems to be a question regarding the usage of BLEvo which is always coming back... The question is: "Will BLEvo void my warranty?" Yesterday night I tried to answer this question as complete as possible, where I also would like to invite @Specialized Rider Care to comment this post if they see this topic from a different perspective, so sorry for the long post below.

Specialized has chosen for an open source software design. Where for the 2019 Levo models via the official Mission Control app can set the following write & read parameters via the bluetooth connection:
• Eco min % and max % of Support and Peak Power by steps of 5%
• Trail min % and max % of Support and Peak Power by steps of 5%
• Turbo min % and max % of Support and Peak Power by steps of 5%
• Acceleration Response min % and max % by steps of 20%
• Shuttle min % and max % by steps of 20%
• Stealth mode on/off
• Battery beeper on/off

So which parameters does BLEvo actually set? The answer is the exact same parameters as MC but by steps of 1% to be able to let the rider better fine tune the motor behaviour. BLEvo does not change and even can’t change any other parameters like (speed, assistance mode, wheel circumference*, odometer, battery level, battery charging status, etc.) while these parameters are all read only.

All the above settings are fixed support settings. BLEvo Smart Power function however is a very smart dynamic support calculation based on heart rate sensor input and several BLEvo settings which aren’t saved in the bike but in the app to support the mathematical Smart HR and/or Smart Power support calculation. In BLEvo you can insert the following parameters for the mathematical smart power calculation for beginners:
• Heart rate training value in BPM with a min and max setting
• Leg power training value in W
• Reactivity of the assistance changes
There also exists a more complicated amount of parameters which is meant for Smart Power experts. Again all these parameters are used within the internal BLEvo calculation they will not modify any bike firmware or whatsoever. All parameters are explained in the BLEvo manual of which Rob included the link in the description.

Then BLEvo offers offline maps, better data analysis of all the collected data, barometer option and many more advantages compared to MC. So in fact BLEvo is very smart but in basics doesn’t modify and cannot modify any parameters of which Specialized decided they are meant for read only. Only the parameters like described above which are open for write and read can be modified and again these are the same as MC is using.

So to summarize BLEvo is "just" a much more comprehensive app than the official Specialized MC app BLEvo doesn’t modify any parameters other than Specialized intended. So how could it than void warranty?

* I do agree that when adjusting the speed limit setting in BLEvo (but it’s a clear settings slider which someone consciously chooses!) it could** void warranty. Where you should know that this is only possible for the Specialized Levo 2016/2017/2018, Levo 2019 with firmware 2.019 and Kenevo 2017/2018/2019. For all these bikes Specialized also added an adjustable wheel circumference setting which was originally intended to modify the wheel circumference setting slightly due to the difference of a 27,5” and 29” wheelset. However as there wasn’t a minimum for this setting it could be used to derestrict the bike completely. Due to liability reasons Specialized decided to block the bluetooth setting related to the wheel circumference today and therefore the speed limit cannot be modified anymore for Levo 2019 models which contain TCU firmware 2.025, 2.026 or higher as it is changed read only. With the remark that with version 2.026 only the dealer via the dealer portal can change this setting to a minimum of 2000mm. If you own an older Levo or Kenevo model but don’t change the speed slider in BLEvo warranty cannot void.

** I deliberately used the word could while for example an EU bike with a speed limit of 25km/h or 15mph. Could be increased to 32km/h when riding on private property without breaking the EU law and 32km/h should not void warranty as the same LEVO in the US is also designed for assistance until 32km/h or 20mph. However this last statement is a personal opinion! In any case when bringing the bike in for warranty reasons its smart to reset it to factory settings. (see Specialized manual how to do that)

Last edited:

Xeretic

Feb 11, 2019
Russia
Do you guys know if BLEvo can take heartrate data from Galaxy Watch (linked to Samsung S8+) for smart power adjust?

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Do you guys know if BLEvo can take heartrate data from Galaxy Watch (linked to Samsung S8+) for smart power adjust?
Only smart watch supported is Apple Watch together with IOS. Only other option is a bt belt.

Karsten

mintakax

Jan 19, 2019
boulder, CO
Is there a more current IOS version of the user manual ? I have IOS version 3.34. The only manual I can find is for version 2.8.0 and was updated Sept 9, 2018.

Thanks.

Luno-tic

Nov 29, 2018
Lunola06
Hi Rob,
Thank you for the great review. I am quite keen on being the BV6000 and was wondering which bike mount you use with your BV6000, please?

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Hi Rob,
Thank you for the great review. I am quite keen on being the BV6000 and was wondering which bike mount you use with your BV6000, please?

Hi,

Paolo and I use the GUB mount. I use the rotatable version. Google GUB Plus 8 mount and you will find it. It's very cheap and it works very good with the BV6000.

I believe Rob used the same mount too but the non rotatable version.

Max-E

Apr 30, 2019
UK
I'd love to read that Blevo thread but having trawled through some 20 or 30 pages topics the thought of trying to survive reading 70 pages is more than a man can bear... :)

Once these monster topics get that big they are just too unwieldy for their own good.

Is there a simple summary anywhere of how someone new to Blevo should start?

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
I'd love to read that Blevo thread but having trawled through some 20 or 30 pages topics the thought of trying to survive reading 70 pages is more than a man can bear... :)

Once these monster topics get that big they are just too unwieldy for their own good.

Is there a simple summary anywhere of how someone new to Blevo should start?

I agree, BLEvo thread should have sub threads.

Regarding the summarize, best thing is to start reading the manual:
Instruction manual in english

In case of other advise needed (for example regarding hardware) just let us know.

Max-E

Apr 30, 2019
UK
Thanks. @Rob Hancill - don't know what you think about this Rob? I'm a newer member so catching up on topics but some are just too big to contemplate - different I think if you've followed them from the beginning but intimidating to trawl through for literally hours over 2000 posts looking for guidance. I did the 2019 Levo topic and the Vitus and tyres ones but cannot face the Blevo one I'm afraid... :eek::LOL:

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Thanks. @Rob Hancill - don't know what you think about this Rob? I'm a newer member so catching up on topics but some are just too big to contemplate - different I think if you've followed them from the beginning but intimidating to trawl through for literally hours over 2000 posts looking for guidance. I did the 2019 Levo topic and the Vitus and tyres ones but cannot face the Blevo one I'm afraid... :eek::LOL:

Absolutely with you on that ?
Even after looking at the brochure there is just far too much information for me, I have no doubt everyone loves it but I just want something really simple that tells me how much battery and rough idea of range left ?

Last edited:

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Absolutely with you on that ?
Even after looking at the brochure there is just far too much information for me, I have no doubt everyone loves it but I just want something really simple that tells me how much battery and rough idea of range left ?

If you are searching real simplicity you might better choose Mission Control. BLEvo has many features which I really like but I can also understand it will sometimes confuse people especially new users. Good thing as longer you use it and read the manual a couple of times it will become more clear and you will notice and value you are able to modify virtually every setting. Due to this approach it’s an app which fulfills every riders need.

However more than willing to help you. Just let me know if you have questions.

Botts101

Patreon
Jun 26, 2018
Carlsbad, California
Hi guys, there seems to be a question regarding the usage of BLEvo which is always coming back... The question is: "Will BLEvo void my warranty?" Yesterday night I tried to answer this question as complete as possible, where I also would like to invite @Specialized Rider Care to comment this post if they see this topic from a different perspective, so sorry for the long post below.

Specialized has chosen for an open source software design. Where for the 2019 Levo models via the official Mission Control app can set the following write & read parameters via the bluetooth connection:
• Stealth mode on/off
• Battery beeper on/off

So which parameters does BLEvo actually set? The answer is the exact same parameters as MC but by steps of 1% to be able to let the rider better fine tune the motor behaviour. BLEvo does not change and even can’t change any other parameters like (speed, assistance mode, wheel circumference*, odometer, battery level, battery charging status, etc.) while these parameters are all read only.

All the above settings are fixed support settings. BLEvo Smart Power function however is a very smart dynamic support calculation based on heart rate sensor input and several BLEvo settings which aren’t saved in the bike but in the app to support the mathematical Smart HR and/or Smart Power support calculation. In BLEvo you can insert the following parameters for the mathematical smart power calculation for beginners:
There also exists a more complicated amount of parameters which is meant for Smart Power experts. Again all these parameters are used within the internal BLEvo calculation they will not modify any bike firmware or whatsoever. All parameters are explained in the BLEvo manual of which Rob included the link in the description.

Then BLEvo offers offline maps, better data analysis of all the collected data, barometer option and many more advantages compared to MC. So in fact BLEvo is very smart but in basics doesn’t modify and cannot modify any parameters of which Specialized decided they are meant for read only. Only the parameters like described above which are open for write and read can be modified and again these are the same as MC is using.

So to summarize BLEvo is "just" a much more comprehensive app than the official Specialized MC app BLEvo doesn’t modify any parameters other than Specialized intended. So how could it than void warranty?

* I do agree that when adjusting the speed limit setting in BLEvo (but it’s a clear settings slider which someone consciously chooses!) it could** void warranty. Where you should know that this is only possible for the Specialized Levo 2016/2017/2018, Levo 2019 with firmware 2.019 and Kenevo 2017/2018/2019. For all these bikes Specialized also added an adjustable wheel circumference setting which was originally intended to modify the wheel circumference setting slightly due to the difference of a 27,5” and 29” wheelset. However as there wasn’t a minimum for this setting it could be used to derestrict the bike completely. Due to liability reasons Specialized decided to block the bluetooth setting related to the wheel circumference today and therefore the speed limit cannot be modified anymore for Levo 2019 models which contain TCU firmware 2.025, 2.026 or higher as it is changed read only. With the remark that with version 2.026 only the dealer via the dealer portal can change this setting to a minimum of 2000mm. If you own an older Levo or Kenevo model but don’t change the speed slider in BLEvo warranty cannot void.

** I deliberately used the word could while for example an EU bike with a speed limit of 25km/h or 15mph. Could be increased to 32km/h when riding on private property without breaking the EU law and 32km/h should not void warranty as the same LEVO in the US is also designed for assistance until 32km/h or 20mph. However this last statement is a personal opinion! In any case when bringing the bike in for warranty reasons its smart to reset it to factory settings. (see Specialized manual how to do that)
I have a Kenevo with UPDATED firmware. I WANT to change the speed limit via Blevo. (20 mph is SO SILLY) Can this be done? Doesnt sound like it?

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
I have a Kenevo with UPDATED firmware. I WANT to change the speed limit via Blevo. (20 mph is SO SILLY) Can this be done? Doesnt sound like it?

Can you please respond in the BLEvo thread which firmware version you currently have installed? Paolo asked this question today. If I understand things correctly you would be the first Kenevo rider where BLEvo wouldn’t be able to adjust the speedlimit.

Wished I lived in the US as our bikes are even limited below your silly limit of 20mph.

PaoloBLEvo

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
Which is the firmware version?
For all the versions I know, BLEvo is able to change the speed limit..

Botts101

Patreon
Jun 26, 2018
Carlsbad, California
Can you please respond in the BLEvo thread which firmware version you currently have installed? Paolo asked this question today. If I understand things correctly you would be the first Kenevo rider where BLEvo wouldn’t be able to adjust the speedlimit.

Wished I lived in the US as our bikes are even limited below your silly limit of 20mph.
Not sure, but I know the CURRENT Fireware made Blevo not work. I used the planetary gear to have the Sworks Levo and it worked VERY well...hope he makes it for the new Kenevo.

Bike

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
I confirm what you say about this problem you can chang the spec wheel to 2000 to arrive 28.8kmh but if you wanna do a good job maybe you need this:
www.shapeways.com/product/RBTV7MSWH/lss-planetary-gear-set with this:
https://www.amazon.es/Neodimio-FEYG-artesa...ASIN=B075FL7FVS

In case the 2000 setting (adjustable via LBS (not via BLEvo)) is not enough then an even better solution would be to buy the Levociraptor and you will never face any mechanical wear on plastic parts.

Bike

• Stealth mode on/off
• Battery beeper on/off

Hy,just a consideration,how is possible changing to 2000 in the setting wheel section arrive to 32kmh? normally it should be 28.8kmh. doesntit?ty

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Hy,just a consideration,how is possible changing to 2000 in the setting wheel section arrive to 32kmh? normally it should be 28.8kmh. doesntit?ty

Maybe my previous post was too long and therefore caused confusion as I tried to write it down in full detail.

You are right, for a Levo with firmware 2.025 or newer (or Kenenvo 2020) with original speed limit of 25km/h, you will end up with the 2000 setting at a theoretical max speed of 28,8km/h. ((2300/2000)x25)= 28,75km/h. However in practice there is a little overshoot during the cut off so mine stops assisting around 30/31km/h.

With the previous longer post I meant, I personally can't see any issues (in terms of warranty voiding besides breaking the law) when a rider would change the WC to a value that would bring a bike with an original speed limit of 25km/h to 32km/h as this is the same speed limit as in the US. For the Levo 2019 this should correspond to a WC value of 1800.

However the WC can only be modified by the rider (via BLEvo or Lightblue) for the Levo 2016/2017/2018 or Levo 2019 with firmware 2.019 (later 2019 firmware versions WC has been blocked but can be changed by LBS to the minimum 2000) and Kenevo 2017/2018/2019.

Hope this explains...

Last edited:

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
My my previous post was too long and therefore caused confusion as I tried to write it down in full detail.

You are right, for a Levo with firmware 2.025 or newer (or Kenenvo 2020) with original speed limit of 25km/h, you will end up with the 2000 setting at a theoretical max speed of 28,8km/h. ((2300/2000)x25)= 28,75km/h. However in practice there is a little overshoot during the cut off so mine stops assisting around 30/31km/h.

With the previous longer post I meant, I personally can't see any issues (in terms of warranty voiding besides breaking the law) when a rider would change the WC to a value that would bring a bike with an original speed limit of 25km/h to 32km/h as this is the same speed limit as in the US. For the Levo 2019 this should correspond to a WC value of 1800.

However the WC can only be modified by the rider (via BLEvo or Lightblue) for the Levo 2016/2017/2018 or Levo 2019 with firmware 2.019 (later 2019 firmware versions WC has been blocked but can be changed by LBS to the minimum 2000) and Kenevo 2017/2018/2019.

Hope this explains...
No big deal but curious - I have a 2019 Kenevo TCU v1.7.0 which was set at 25 km/h 2000mm on delivery due to custom wheels maybe? BLEvo reports it as 28.8 km/h 2100mm & cannot be set lower while egenesis reports as 25 km/h 2000mm.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles