Bikes direct 2020 HAL eboost Team with integrated battery

billp91311

Feb 9, 2019
Chatsworth, CA
Bikes direct has their new 2020 Motobecane HAL eboost Team with integrated battery 12 speeds and 150mm of travel available for 3999. Not a bad option. I have their 2017 version and ride it consistently with no issues. Good luck.

billp91311

Feb 9, 2019
Chatsworth, CA
eboost-team-blk-21.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Interesting, looks like its using the same OEM frame as quite a few brands, e.g Megamo, and Decathlon use the Bosch version.

Screenshot 2020-04-20 at 13.29.46.png

Screenshot 2020-04-20 at 13.33.14.png

Orb

Jul 14, 2020
New Jersey, USA
Just got mine this week...this thing is a pisser. It's my first eMTB, so I have nothing to compare it to, but man...first ride last night and I couldn't stop smiling. Rode more miles at my local trails than I ever have, did some exploring, even got to ride some of the tougher fun parts more than once. Just a blast to ride, looking forward to hopefully years of fun on it.

Orb

Jul 14, 2020
New Jersey, USA
Looks like the BikesDirect's front wheel is a bit more tucked in... big turn off, as that makes it more prone to nose-dives/nose-plants.

I don't know...seems OK to me after one ride. I measure the HT angle at about 68 degrees. The front end is a bit on the short side, which works well for my proportions.

Motobecane HAL eBoost Team.jpg

Oct 22, 2020
California
I don't see anything wrong with Motobecane e-mtb. I bought the other model with the battery on the frame. Been riding it since August 2019.
motobecaneAd.PNG

I think they are very good mountain bikes but you do have to swap out some parts to fit your riding style. At least for me, that's what I had to do. Anyways, here are the mods that I made on my Motobecane to fit my riding style.

Cane Creek In-Line DB coil shock with 500 pound Valt spring (set to factory setting but with an extra clockwise turn on the spring perch to add a little more preload)
motobecaneRearShock_01.jpg
motobecaneRearShock_03.jpg
motobecaneRearShock_02.jpg

Converted the Rockshox Pike Select+ RC2 fork to Push ACS3 coil and Push HC97 damper.
motobecanePushACS3.jpg
motobeanePushHC97.jpg
motobecaneWithPushFork_01.jpg

With the coil fork and coil rear shock, the bike feels stiff, supple, and planted all at the same time. It reacts to high and low frequency bumpy terrain changes instantly. The traction is so good that I've found myself using the brakes 70% less. All I do is pick my line and the bike just does it for me, while I'm just there chillin.

Archer Components D1x wireless shifter.
motobecaneWirelessShifter.jpg

Downgraded the 4.7.1 firmware to 5.8.8 (aka version 4.3.2) and tuned it to my riding style.
shimano_e-steps8000_version.jpg
diagnosis_battery_BT-E8010_03.PNG

Replaced the Shimano chainring to Wolf Tooth Drop-Stop "A" 104 BCD 34T (and recent changed it again to Wolf Tooth Drop-Stop "A" 104 BCD 36T for more speed).
IMG_20201019_192702.jpg
chaingstayToChainringClearance_34t-36t.PNG

Installed a set of Cushcore Pro (these are my favorite mod on all of my bikes since I often get pinch flats). I also put on a set of 27.5x2.8 Magic Mary.
motobecaneWithWirelessShifter.jpg

About 3 months ago, I was offered a 51% discount on a brand new Trust Shout so that's on the Motobecane at the moment.
motobecaneWithTrust_01.jpg
motobecaneWithTrust_02.jpg

My personal impression on the Trust fork is that "they are just ok". They're definite not worth the full retail price of $2,000 but for $910, they are. There's also a learning curve with these forks. The turn-in are immediate, bouncing on the bike isn't as pronounced as traditional forks, it can handle square edges like magic but slow to respond at high frequency bumpy terrain, and you have to land with the rear wheel first because landing evenly causes the fork to have a quick burst of jitters that you feel on the handlebar (kinda feels like when you're holding a broomstick or long stick and hit the ground with it. You know that vibration you feel on your hand.). It's been 3 months now with the Trust fork and I still prefer my Push modified Pike.

Last edited:

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
I don't know...seems OK to me after one ride. I measure the HT angle at about 68 degrees. The front end is a bit on the short side, which works well for my proportions.

View attachment 36519

View attachment 36519
I am looking at the HAL eBoost Team, could you give me a ride review, what you like & dis-like?
What size frame is that HAL eBoost Team?
Have you done any upgrades to HAL eBoost Team?

Thxs

Orb

Jul 14, 2020
New Jersey, USA
I am looking at the HAL eBoost Team, could you give me a ride review, what you like & dis-like?
What size frame is that HAL eBoost Team?
Have you done any upgrades to HAL eBoost Team?

Thxs

The bike has been great so far. I'm a big guy and I have been beating on it pretty hard, zero complaints about the frame whatsoever. It's a large frame, I think they call it a 20". The Shimano 8000 motor has been bulletproof so far, plenty of torque for my riding. Battery life with the 504W battery is more than I need when the weather is warm, but limited to about 15 miles in "Trail" mode in the winter, which is disappointing. This is common to all bikes with the 504W battery though.

The suspension works like any Horst link 4-bar bike would and it has not had any issues. It's a bit short in the reach compared to "modern" geometry, so be aware of that. I haven't noticed it that much except on very steep descents, where I do feel like my weight is a bit far forward. The converse is that it climbs very well, even seated. I did have an issue with the early-production XT rear hub (like a lot of people did) but Shimano was good with replacing the parts that caused the problem.

I've upgraded quite a bit on the bike at this point, more because I enjoy the process of making it perfect for me and not because it "needed" upgrades. I put a 160mm Fox Factory 38 fork on to slacken the head angle a bit and to stiffen up the front end (as I said, I'm a big guy). I swapped the single-piston 180mm XT brakes for 203mm Magura MT7s front and rear. I swapped the 2.8" tires for 2.6" Maxxis Minions because the rims are only 30mm wide and 2.8" tires are more than the rims can really handle effectively, especially when cornering. I also installed wider bars with a bit more rise, again for downhill comfort, and bought shorter 165mm crank arms as the bottom bracket is pretty low and I was experiencing a ton of pedal strikes on rocky trails.

Overall, I think it's about the best deal out there considering the parts spec for the price. It comes with the 4A charger (better than the 2A that comes with most bikes) and the charger adapter so you can charge the battery off the bike, which I love in the winter. It has the 8000-level shift lever and display, unlike most cheaper eMTBs (and even some more expensive ones). The dropper post is the cheapest KS-branded model, but it works fine, though it's a bit short (100mm travel on all frame sizes) so I will likely replace it down the road.

Hope that helps...happy to answer any other questions if you have any.

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
The bike has been great so far. I'm a big guy and I have been beating on it pretty hard, zero complaints about the frame whatsoever. It's a large frame, I think they call it a 20". The Shimano 8000 motor has been bulletproof so far, plenty of torque for my riding. Battery life with the 504W battery is more than I need when the weather is warm, but limited to about 15 miles in "Trail" mode in the winter, which is disappointing. This is common to all bikes with the 504W battery though.

The suspension works like any Horst link 4-bar bike would and it has not had any issues. It's a bit short in the reach compared to "modern" geometry, so be aware of that. I haven't noticed it that much except on very steep descents, where I do feel like my weight is a bit far forward. The converse is that it climbs very well, even seated. I did have an issue with the early-production XT rear hub (like a lot of people did) but Shimano was good with replacing the parts that caused the problem.

I've upgraded quite a bit on the bike at this point, more because I enjoy the process of making it perfect for me and not because it "needed" upgrades. I put a 160mm Fox Factory 38 fork on to slacken the head angle a bit and to stiffen up the front end (as I said, I'm a big guy). I swapped the single-piston 180mm XT brakes for 203mm Magura MT7s front and rear. I swapped the 2.8" tires for 2.6" Maxxis Minions because the rims are only 30mm wide and 2.8" tires are more than the rims can really handle effectively, especially when cornering. I also installed wider bars with a bit more rise, again for downhill comfort, and bought shorter 165mm crank arms as the bottom bracket is pretty low and I was experiencing a ton of pedal strikes on rocky trails.

Overall, I think it's about the best deal out there considering the parts spec for the price. It comes with the 4A charger (better than the 2A that comes with most bikes) and the charger adapter so you can charge the battery off the bike, which I love in the winter. It has the 8000-level shift lever and display, unlike most cheaper eMTBs (and even some more expensive ones). The dropper post is the cheapest KS-branded model, but it works fine, though it's a bit short (100mm travel on all frame sizes) so I will likely replace it down the road.

Hope that helps...happy to answer any other questions if you have any.
I have owned a couple of BD MTB's and never had any frame issues, sounds like HAL eBoost was great buy.
Funny every item that you mention on upgrades is what I was think about doing, beefier fork and shock, bigger brake rotors, 2.6 tires and wider HBs & shorter stem:) Thanks for your review.

Reactions: Orb

GaryF31

Apr 11, 2021
Wanting to try 160-165mm crank arms on my Motobecane. Anyone know where I can find a set? Anyone else but Miranda making aftermarket ones?
1618421801206.png

GaryF31

Apr 11, 2021
I changed the stock crank arms to a Miranda set of 160mm. Pedal strikes are down about 85-90%! Huge difference.

billp91311

Feb 9, 2019
Chatsworth, CA
I have a 29r on the front and 27.5 x 3.25 in rear with 170mm shimano cranks and rarely get peddle strikes. I also increased the front from 140 to 160mm travel which all all helped the strikes and now fork rake is about 67 now.

GaryF31

Apr 11, 2021
I have a 29r on the front and 27.5 x 3.25 in rear with 170mm shimano cranks and rarely get peddle strikes. I also increased the front from 140 to 160mm travel which all all helped the strikes and now fork rake is about 67 now.
How did you go about increasing travel? Different forks? TIA.

billp91311

Feb 9, 2019
Chatsworth, CA
If you have a Pike B1+ or Revelation A1+ from 2018 to present, then you can upgrade your fork with an updated DebonAir air spring. It provides increased ride height from the top of the stroke to sag for more confidence in steep terrain while maintaining that buttery off-the-top feel. The RockShox DebonAir C1 Pike B1/Revelation Upgrade Kit comes with a DebonAir C1 Assembly and seal head. enter serial number and this will tell you the part number but I think the jensonusa link is the one I needed.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles