Review Bikehut 1600 lumen front bike light

Pottsy

Founding Member
Feb 12, 2018
Northern Ireland
@Gary Brilliant review ..just bagged one too at £35squids , had it on charge for what seemed ages but as soon as I select the brightest mode in instantly drops down to the 2 indicator mark anyone else has this?
Mike
I bought one, doesn't go to 2 on highest. At least not for half an hour or more.
Pottsy

AndyActual

May 24, 2018
UK
Back from a night ride around the local bike park using this setup. I bought both the 1600 and the 1000 lumens for a helmet light this weekend as both were discounted at Halfords. I found using the supplied rubber band and rubber foot fine for the handlebars, and combined with the helmet light throws out an impressive amount of light.

C9BA4B17-7A7C-4323-84B3-C1BD3FC474D2.jpeg

AndyActual

May 24, 2018
UK
I am using just rubber strap to mount on to the handlebars, so far no problems and avoid having a permanent mount.

I find the light on the helmet okay, I been riding chicksands bike park with it so don’t really notice it if you know what I mean, might be different if you were doing a trail ride.

HIGHL4NDER

Jul 10, 2019
Scotland (nr Edinburgh)
Just an update on this review from me. I decided to trust you all and grab 2 of these with the theory that if they weren't bright enough I could use them as helmet lights and get brighter ones for the bars.

At £50 you do NOT get as much as you used to. The pack no longer has the twin gopro/garmin mount in it, just the rubber bar mount. Was rather pi55ed off at that one because I was specifically interested in having lights that could use all my gopro mounts (including the bell helmet one) and you don't even get the little plastic gopro adaptor anymore. The screw used for mounting the camera is not the same size as a standard tripod mount either, so you cant get any standard gopro adaptor in its place.

I purchased the bikehut helmet strap mount for £5 in order to persevere since it includes the gopro adaptor. Glad I did as it works a charm on the Bell helm mount!

The light is actually really really good, so good in fact that I bought another 2. We have 2 each (1 bar 1 helm) and the results are great. I took some brief gopro footage, but it doesn't do it justice at all. The attached pic from that footage should give you an idea though:
GH010156.jpg

I had pushed my helmet visor up creating that shadow at the bottom of the pic, but it didn't look nearly as shaded in reality. It would have been even brighter in the distance, but my wife never changed her 2 lights up from the 1000 lumen setting because she didn't feel she needed it. According to Garmin my max speed was 27.3mph with this setup on the trail and I didn't feel at any point I needed to slow down due to lack of vision.

1 final -ve point though - I did manage to rip one of the silicon bar mounts the first time I tried to put it on the bar (with almost no force at all) so it must have been faulty as I put WAY more force into the other one and it was fine. I'll take that one back for a replacement strap.
Overall really impressed and I've spent a LOT less money than I expected to for night trail riding.

Bilko

Aug 18, 2018
Dorset
Sorry the drag an old thread up but does anyone know if I can get a new rubber mount for my light? It lasted 15 months so not too bad and unfortunately mine didn't come with the extra mounting options.

IMG_5058.JPG

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Sorry the drag an old thread up but does anyone know if I can get a new rubber mount for my light? It lasted 15 months so not too bad and unfortunately mine didn't come with the extra mounting options.

View attachment 27304
I had trouble with the mount on mine not holding properly - I got a Hope Universal QR mount from BikeScene for a tenner which works perfectly and is way better than the original. Screws directly into the light so it looks much cleaner as well.

www.amazon.co.uk/Hope-Handlebar-Mount-Bracket-Black/dp/B00CH2RTOE

edit: 9 quid at crc -
www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope-universal-handlebar-mount/rp-prod23533?gs=1&sku=sku72337&istCompanyId=8d42cf00-fc35-44ce-8770-97ae3ffd4c16&istFeedId=c759ee22-6d7f-4501-bd00-f1af47c60490&istItemId=iwtalrram&istBid=t&pgrid=60711842778&ptaid=pla-828671272492&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|shFh3CBzL_dc|pcrid|309840162899|pkw||pmt||prd|72337UK#

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
@Bilko and @thewildblue If you guys buy the bikehut helmet mount (£5) for your lights it comes with the bolt on gopro mount. You'll then be able to use any gopro bar clamp or headset cap mount to fit the light on your bike. both are readily available on ebay in alloy for under a fiver

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I bought the 1600 and 1000 lumen Bikehut lights with a helmet mount on Black Friday.
Separate transactions so got two £10 evouchers making them effectively £40 and £30 respectively.

They are outstanding for the money.
My old Hope Vision lights are fixed to my hardtail in the winter months, but these are just as bright and great as a quick strap on, for the Whyte.

The rubber bar mounts are adequate (how gnarly are you going to get at night?), just make sure you fit the stabiliser block exactly as shown in the manual, it makes a difference.

Disappointingly the 1000 lumen is barely lighter than the 1600 so is a little heavy as a helmet light, but okay.

One challenging aspect of the design is the amount of light bleed from the protruding lens.
They are probably designed this way to provide some peripheral side light when in traffic, but it kills your off-road vision.

Ghetto fix, a strip of self adhesive neoprene sheet covering the protruding lens.

View attachment 45976

Black duct tape or insulating tape would be just as effective and more ghetto still.
Genius hack!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Instead of simply blacking out the peripheral light you could cut an aluminium can to shape to fit over the top section (curved round the sides slightly) and gaffer taped/zip tied in place to work as as an overhanging brow (if you get what I mean) . It'll then reflect light downwards as well as sheilding light from your eyes.
I haven't done the above with the bikehut light but have done in the past with Chinese cree lights for night roadriding.

And yeah. The 1000lm version is basically the same weight so a fairly pointless purchase as a helmet light.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles