Bike transportation

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
The Shimano user info for the e8000
on my Jam2 states-
“Pedelecs carried on a rear-mounted bike rack must have suitable weather protection. Water ingress can damage the motor and its components. Suitable covers are available from your dealer and online.”
As someone who always uses a rear mounted rack I find this worrying,
What do you guys do when taking your bike on the car ?

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
I suspect it depends on the strength of the downpour....its acceptable to ride in the rain and across fords etc so a bit of water from the journey should not be a problem.
I wrap the handlebar electrical bits in poly bags if its going to rain ....if you check out the connections behind the bottom bracket/motor covers the connections are rather exposed so a poly bag wrap should help. even gaffer tape over the gaps would help.
Camper vanners often have covers on their bikes but I guess its the motor electrics that need a bit of TLC.
I have been out in some extreme mud and filled up the "motor cover " with gloopy wet mud but so far have had no probs (crosses everything):unsure:
Have fun on your Jam ...I do :giggle:

bissona

Patreon
Oct 14, 2018
Guernsey
Mine lives out in the rain when I ride it to work, hasn't caused me any issues so far. Transported either in the back of the van or in a covered trailer generally, but have used a rack on the back of the car a few times (wasn't raining).

Might be worth getting / making a sort of huge hairnet / backpack cover out of ripstop nylon and elastic. That way you could throw the bike on the rack and then drag the cover over the whole lot to stop the worst of the water ingress.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Damn.. My bike has been absolutely soaked on the rear carrier this week. Oooops. :)

I wouldn't leave it unprotected with the battery removed though.....

Gordon

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have been transporting my Focus Jam2 on the tow bar rack since Jan. Motorways in the rain and so forth. I have had no problems apart from some brake squeal. It never occurred to me to protect the electrical bits as I thought they were waterproof. Are you saying they are not?

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
I have been transporting my Focus Jam2 on the tow bar rack since Jan. Motorways in the rain and so forth. I have had no problems apart from some brake squeal. It never occurred to me to protect the electrical bits as I thought they were waterproof. Are you saying they are not?

Im not saying anything Steve, just quoting the the text from the focus website shimano pedlec instruction manual.
I was really asking if anyone takes any precautions due to what's written in the manual as I intend to use my rear mounted rack for transport and don't want to end up with a non functioning bike when i arrive.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles