Bike stand for EMTB

• Thread starter Deleted member 2899
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2899

I've posted before on a similar topic but I'm now in the market for a bike maintenance stand. I've spent hours reading reviews which only resulted in even more conflicting opinions and views. If possible I want to stay under £100 but if budget stands are not worth the money I will wait a bit longer. The main thing is to get one that will hold the weight and even on this issue there appears to be some confusion. The Yaheetech one says 40kg so I was tending towards it until an unboxing video showed that it is actually 30kg which seems fairly standard. The Cyclepro Bikehand seems to get good reviews but I can't find any details for one holding an EMTB. Park Tools have a good reputation but I can't find weight details for the PCS-9. Does anyone have any actual experience that could point me in the right direction? It needs to be portable and easy to assemble.

Alan

Feb 5, 2019
Wales
I found that my Levo frame shape won’t hold in the vice of the PCS-9 stand, so I have to risk holding it by the dropper. The PCS-9 weight limit I think I found in the questions section of CRC.

D

Deleted member 2899

I found that my Levo frame shape won’t hold in the vice of the PCS-9 stand, so I have to risk holding it by the dropper. The PCS-9 weight limit I think I found in the questions section of CRC.
I found the weight limit for the Park Tool stands, it's 36kg, which seems to be a little higher than some other stands. I think the shape of the jaws/frame are going to be a problem with all stands. I also like the fact that the jaw mechanism on Park stands appear to be all metal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
You don’t have to overthink it. I’m using a Lidl workstand (just like Sam Pilgrim) for years and it holds my ebike by the seatpost without any issues. Why would it be risky? If it can support my 85kg sitting on it then the 22kg bike will not damage it... but I usually remove the battery so it’s just 19,5kg.

D

Deleted member 2899

I just want something that will work and the reviews for some of the cheaper stands are very mixed. So thank you for your positive input it's exactly what I'm looking for, personal experiences.

Dorismorris

Nov 8, 2018
Llandod
I’ve had the ALDI stand for a few years now and it was brill for my normal bike but it doesn’t like the weight of an ebike it creaks and moans.... I’ve had to modify it a bit and would like to upgrade it

D

Deleted member 2899

I'm tending to the Park Tools PCS 10 but I quite like the look of the quick release on the Feedback Sports model. They both offer a bit more leeway on the max. weight.

Last edited by a moderator:

mintakax

Jan 19, 2019
boulder, CO
Someone needs to make a stand that has a jack mechanism to raise the ebike up after clamping. I have the Park PRS 25 which is great but between my wife's Powerfly 5 and my 19 Levo I have knackered my back a couple of times holding the bikes up and clamping.

D

Deleted member 2899

I think I will pay the extra and get the Feedback Sprint. It not only looks better with the weight being directly over the legs, I should also be able to use both hands to lift the bike. I'm fairly strong but holding the bike with one hand while I tighten a clamp may be asking a little too much. Having to remove the front wheel is no hardship.

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
This may sound ghetto, but I've just used a piece of rope for the last several years and love the simplicity of it.
If I need to make an adjustment to the front rotor, I attach the rope around the stem.
IMAG0721.jpg

Last edited:

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
After i got hit in the face by my bike using a cheap bike-repair-stand i went up, switched on the computer and ordered a parktool PCS-9 bikestand. Happy using it since last season, works perfect for all our bikes.

D

Deleted member 2899

Some good ideas but not very portable I'm afraid and that was one of the requirements I mentioned. After some research I've come to the conclusion that the bike repair stand business has not yet caught up with e mountain bikes. I've been advised by professional bike mechanics not to clamp the bike using the frame. I have a dropper seat post fitted so that's not such a good idea either. I've got my local shop experimenting with a Feedback Sprint, which is better for the centre of gravity/weight but it doesn't look as though it will be suitable and it's very expensive by the time you've bought the additional parts required to accommodate the through axle.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have been using the Lidl bike stand with both my EMTB’s, clamped on top tube or seat post for the past year, no issues, it’s not the sturdiest but folds up easily and does the job, all for 30quid or so

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I simply have a water pipe running through my boiler room where I attached 2 cheap bike hooks(5€). They can easily hold an heavy EMTB an lifting it up is no big deal with 2 hands, hook the seat first and then attach the other end with 2 hands. You can also buy a more expensive version that you can attach to the ceiling if that is strong enough.

CFAA0CFA-D16A-4272-8818-D21211A77312.jpeg

Karsten

D

Deleted member 2899

False crossbar. That's the best idea I've seen. Thank you. Although it does say 15kg max. weight? My bike comes in at 24.4 kg, a little less with the battery removed, but still in excess of 20kg I would have thought.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
...I've come to the conclusion that the bike repair stand business has not yet caught up with e mountain bikes. I've been advised by professional bike mechanics not to clamp the bike using the frame. I have a dropper seat post fitted so that's not such a good idea either.
Don’t worry about it. Aluminium bikes are fine to clamp on the top tube (they only need to be finger tight anyway), and all the carbon MTBs these days seem to have very beefy large diameter top tubes that should be plenty strong enough for a clamp tightened by hand. Would I clamp a lightweight carbon roadbike on the top tube? Probably not, but then they don’t have a dropper either so it’s not an issue. Even bikes with droppers can still be clamped there if you are careful to protect the post from scratches - if you don’t believe me ask the YouTube king of bike maintenance as he proves it with actual science...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2899

I'm tending towards the Feedback Elite. It has a little more leeway for the weight and the quick release grip could be useful. Problem is it's more than I wanted to spend. Having looked at the Feedback Sprint in the flesh, so to speak, I don't think that it will be suitable. Working in the garage is not a problem, I can frig something easily but I have to remove the pedals and wheels to get the bike in the car and would like something to assist reassembly when I arrive at the trail.

Webike

E*POWAH Master
Dec 13, 2018
San Luis Obispo County
I know the conversation is around work stands but what stands are you guys using as just general storage at home?
I had the same problem Stringbean, always trying to get the bikes out of the way or place them so they would not fall over. I have a sturdy Park stand for chain servicing but many tasks such as adjusting bars/brakes/shifters, saddles, fork or simply airing up the tires do not require strong-arming it up onto the Park stand. A piece of plywood, PVC 80 schedule flange, 14" section of 1.5" diameter 40 schedule PVC electrical conduit & some bolts make for a sturdy bike support. It actually pinches onto the Praxis crankarm and makes relocating the bike easy. This is just a simple version of a known support system but works well for us.
IMG_1281.jpg
IMG_1280.JPG

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles