Bike spat out grease from headset?

Ghoetic

Jul 17, 2019
Sweden
Hey all!
Vitus owner from early june.
Was out on a bike ride today where suddenly the bike spat out some thick yellow brownish grease from the stem/headset and onto the wheel so it threw some grease onto the crossbar of the fork.

So im wondering what should i do next/check for? bearings?

Thanks!
20190717_123707.jpg

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Is it a brand new bike, and does the headset still feel ok (not grinding or wobbling)? It could just be some excess grease that ended up inside the headtube during manufacture and dropped out after a few miles of riding. If it is very new and and you can't feel any roughness in the headset I would just clean off the frame and carry on riding. If it feels bad though take apart the headset and inspect the bearings.

Ghoetic

Jul 17, 2019
Sweden
Is it a brand new bike, and does the headset still feel ok (not grinding or wobbling)? It could just be some excess grease that ended up inside the headtube during manufacture and dropped out after a few miles of riding. If it is very new and and you can't feel any roughness in the headset I would just clean off the frame and carry on riding. If it feels bad though take apart the headset and inspect the bearings.

Thanks for the input!
Yeah bike is brand new!
Yes nothing feels off or rough, i cleaned the bike and rode home. Gonna keep an eye on it tho!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I'm colour blind, but even with my somewhat distorted vision I can't help but think that the grease is colour coded to your bike ? Maybe this is supposed to happen .. maybe you just made it very happy ?

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
Usually they aren’t too generous with grease when assembling the bikes, so my guess is that a seal has come off at the lower headset bearing. Do you know what brand the headset is?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
More likely water mixed with grease? Been washing it? Upside down?Does not take more than a few minutes to drop the fork out of the headset so I would certainly do that to check whats in there!

Trailing Edge

May 15, 2019
UK
I’d drop the fork out, clean the headset up and re-grease.

As said earlier they’re usually quite sparing in the grease dept. when assembling new bike.

My Vitus has developed a headset creak after two months and 700km of heavy use.

Dropped the fork and re-greased. Working perfectly now.

Trailing Edge

May 15, 2019
UK
Oh, and definitely don’t wash this bike upside town. You’ll get water collecting in the frame (which might also be causing your headset issue)

If you’ve got water in the frame tip the bike up until the rear wheel is vertical and then drop back down. You’ll see the water poor out the hole under the motor. Repeat as necessary

Hope that helps

Cheers, Tim

Ghoetic

Jul 17, 2019
Sweden
I’d drop the fork out, clean the headset up and re-grease.

As said earlier they’re usually quite sparing in the grease dept. when assembling new bike.

My Vitus has developed a headset creak after two months and 700km of heavy use.

Dropped the fork and re-greased. Working perfectly now.

Thanks!
im actually at 640km. No creaking yet. What kind of grease did you use?

Trailing Edge

May 15, 2019
UK
I’ve been riding mine quite aggressively in very dusty environments recently. I think some dust got in and started the creak

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles