• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Bike comparision - need advice please

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
So I'm trying to decide between two bikes from the same brand - they're very similar but the geo is different. Also bike A has 180/180 travel while B has 160/150 travel. It looks to me that bike A with it's lower and longer frame (looking at stack, standover and wheelbase) would be better downhill, but it has a raised BB compared to bike B that would be better for chunkier routes?
So which would suit my riding which is mainly off piste upland trails/routes, not DH or bike parks?
TIA ?

AB comp.jpg

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Which one looks the nicest ??

From what you're describing your riding as ... either would do it, but in terms of compromises in the right direction, bike B is probably the bike for you. 160/150 is still a lot of travel and will cope admirably with most situations. It's going to be slightly easier to turn and less tiring on the upper body whilst you're riding. So in theory, you'll be able to throw it about easier and it might actually be faster for you in most situations than the 180/180. Keep in mind the lower bottom bracket will mean an overall lower centre of gravity, making the bike easier to ride and will make it feel a bit lighter. The bike itself should be lighter than bike A anyway. For longer rides it will also be less tiring on your lower back and your wrists.

It's probably also cheaper, so that leaves more money in the pot to buy a shiny new helmet... :)

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
So I'm trying to decide between two bikes from the same brand - they're very similar but the geo is different. Also bike A has 180/180 travel while B has 160/150 travel. It looks to me that bike A with it's lower and longer frame (looking at stack, standover and wheelbase) would be better downhill, but it has a raised BB compared to bike B that would be better for chunkier routes?
So which would suit my riding which is mainly off piste upland trails/routes, not DH or bike parks?
TIA ?

View attachment 34783
Bike A is my vote. Slacker geometry. What’s the fork offset? Another key factor in how a bike rides.

Frirish

Aug 19, 2020
Carlow, Ireland
With the same Top Tube length, I tend to prefer shorter bike height (seat tube). Easier to move around. And can be compensate with a longer dropper post.
Also 65 degrees head angle is not the slackest now days.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles