Big guy....big bike?

LeBigjh

Mar 4, 2019
North West uk
Hey folks,

First time forum post so hello to you all :)

I'm looking for some advice regarding my first emtb purchase.

I'm 6' 3" who weights roughly around 120kg (big chap). I usual ride trails like Llandegla and Whinlatter but I also need something that I can use when my fiance wants to ride the canal paths. I dont tend to do massive jumps or drops, I just like going fast over the rough stuff!

I'm in a very lucky position to get my hands on a XL 2019 Kenevo Expert (although its over my budget), however my original plan was to get a XL Levo Comp (when back in stock).

Just looking for some guidance really from folk with experience with the Kenevo/Levo who are close to my size, weight and do similar riding.

From watching vids and reading reviews I know the Kenevo is pimp ass bike and would be perfect for bigger chap and the rough stuff but I'm really wondering if the Keveno is to much bike and i'd be ok sticking to my guns and getting the Levo.

I think i'm basically worried about snapping the Levo hahah

Also anyone had issues with the coil like the thread about it rusting...?

Cheers guys,

Looking forward to getting out there with some EPower with you all!!

J

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
I can't see why anyone would need more than the levo unless you're riding DH trails more than trail centres or hitting 6ft+ drops/jumps.

Think you've answered your own question

LeBigjh

Mar 4, 2019
North West uk
I can't see why anyone would need more than the levo unless you're riding DH trails more than trail centres or hitting 6ft+ drops/jumps.

Think you've answered your own question

I do ride DH trails but I do lack the confidence to hit the bigger drops and jumps. I have Spesh Pitch Pro currently and that has been perfect for the past 8 years...so ye the Levo might be best bet.

The price i've been offered the Kenevo for is not a super huge jump from a full price Levo Comp (with a dropper upgrade), so there was that to consider also.

But ye...your 100% right :)

Cheers bud

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Another challenge for the Kenevo would be if it is actually possible to get a Heavy enough spring for the Öhlin rear shock when you are around 120 Kg.

Karsten

LeBigjh

Mar 4, 2019
North West uk
Another challenge for the Kenevo would be if it is actually possible to get a Heavy enough spring for the Öhlin rear shock when you are around 120 Kg.

Karsten

Karsten

Is that something they do? I have never had a spring on my bikes before so its a new one for me haha.

I'll have a look, cheers for the advise

J

Dawnrazor

Patreon
Jun 11, 2018
Somerset
Levo and Kenovo are both great bikes - I'm 6'5 and also 120kg - I ride a Cube 160 AT - XL - 1400 miles in and no worries. I think most bikes at this level will be ok for us 'superunits' !!

Eeh (bah gum) biker

Jul 5, 2018
Sheffield
I am 6ft 2 and similar weight and have the Kenevo XL in black which I have had since July 2018 .It was one of the latest models which was shipped with the new Kenevo Experts (blue) and the Kenevo (comps).The LBS have changed my spring to the 571. Apart from an iffy mode switch which is being replaced I love every aspect of the bike .
I considered the Levo but the Kenevo felt more robust for someone my height and stature .
The spring is still as new and no rust whatsoever. The spring your referring to in the other thread most definitely has slipped the quality control net.

LeBigjh

Mar 4, 2019
North West uk
Levo and Kenovo are both great bikes - I'm 6'5 and also 120kg - I ride a Cube 160 AT - XL - 1400 miles in and no worries. I think most bikes at this level will be ok for us 'superunits' !!
Haha superunits I think I'm gonna have to use that ? ye your right. I have never had a spring on the rear before so not sure what the crack is with us big chaps. cheers for the feedback. Your cube is really nice btw!!

LeBigjh

Mar 4, 2019
North West uk
I am 6ft 2 and similar weight and have the Kenevo XL in black which I have had since July 2018 .It was one of the latest models which was shipped with the new Kenevo Experts (blue) and the Kenevo (comps).The LBS have changed my spring to the 571. Apart from an iffy mode switch which is being replaced I love every aspect of the bike .
I considered the Levo but the Kenevo felt more robust for someone my height and stature .
The spring is still as new and no rust whatsoever. The spring your referring to in the other thread most definitely has slipped the quality control net.
The Kenevo definitely feels more bike under my arse than the levo. However the levo matches the bike I currently ride so that why my eye went there, not had a modern bike as 'big' as the Kenevo.

Are the springs something that tend to be replaced then or was that personal preference?

His spring definitely looks like a one off from I've been reading.

Cheers for your advise

Eeh (bah gum) biker

Jul 5, 2018
Sheffield
The Kenevo definitely feels more bike under my arse than the levo. However the levo matches the bike I currently ride so that why my eye went there, not had a modern bike as 'big' as the Kenevo.

Are the springs something that tend to be replaced then or was that personal preference?

His spring definitely looks like a one off from I've been reading.

Cheers for your advise

TBH the Ohlins chart recommends a stronger spring than I have gone for but as the 571 is more readily available I went with that . The LBS also suggested going stronger but up to then I wasn't having any issues with the stock one.

Apples

Oct 27, 2018
Wiltshire
I am 5’11 and about 120 kg , I have a large 2019 Carbon Comp since October
I have rode it over 400 miles quite hard , I don’t at 51 get much air as such anymore and ride quite heavy but so far the size , suspension has coped perfectly , the bike will always outstrip my talent I believe .

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
If I remember correctly, on the Specialized website, both the kenevo and the levo are both rated in the same ride category and have the same maximum rider weight.

LeBigjh

Mar 4, 2019
North West uk
If I remember correctly, on the Specialized website, both the kenevo and the levo are both rated in the same ride category and have the same maximum rider weight.
Thanks Paul, ashamed to admit it I never knew they had a chart for that stuff. Checked it out and I'm close to the limit...so with some miles on the bike I'll loose those lbs.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
I had the same decision to make as you - i'm a big guy, too and my "other" bike had many broken and replaced parts already, so i wanted my ebike to be stable enough for me and my riding style.

Tested the Levo and Kenevo in my local bikeshop and the Kenevo has won the comparison (the Levo was my favorite before i've entered the shop). They felt not very different on my short testrun up and down a hill (it was not a real trail), but what made the difference besides of the different feeling of a coil shock and added travel was the much bigger sized bearings and frame parts (the bearings and chainstay are nearly 50% bigger) on the Kenevo. Since i had trouble with smaller bearings and broken chainstays on other bikes, i've opted for the bigger and heavier equipment :)

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
A couple of balancing arguments for the shorter travel bike....
140/150mm travel is ideal for Degla and will be a bit more playful in general.
Also an air shock will let you tune in a progressive ramp up which is more suited to us heavy guys. It prevents bottom out while still being supple over the smaller stuff.

Although if your preference is to plough through the rough stuff, a longer travel, linear suspension bike might be what you are after??

LeBigjh

Mar 4, 2019
North West uk
A couple of balancing arguments for the shorter travel bike....
140/150mm travel is ideal for Degla and will be a bit more playful in general.
Also an air shock will let you tune in a progressive ramp up which is more suited to us heavy guys. It prevents bottom out while still being supple over the smaller stuff.

Although if your preference is to plough through the rough stuff, a longer travel, linear suspension bike might be what you are after??
Nice one cheers for the advice. I managed to test ride an expert and levo....glad to say that I've left a deposit on a levo!!! It's a similar setup to my current none ebike so I'm super pumped!!! Can't wait to shred!

LeBigjh

Mar 4, 2019
North West uk
I had the same decision to make as you - i'm a big guy, too and my "other" bike had many broken and replaced parts already, so i wanted my ebike to be stable enough for me and my riding style.

Tested the Levo and Kenevo in my local bikeshop and the Kenevo has won the comparison (the Levo was my favorite before i've entered the shop). They felt not very different on my short testrun up and down a hill (it was not a real trail), but what made the difference besides of the different feeling of a coil shock and added travel was the much bigger sized bearings and frame parts (the bearings and chainstay are nearly 50% bigger) on the Kenevo. Since i had trouble with smaller bearings and broken chainstays on other bikes, i've opted for the bigger and heavier equipment :)
Cheers dude! I also managed to test ride both and the Leve won it for me. I think for the majority of rides I do the expert might have been to much bike. I think the setup on the levo will be more than enough for my first emtb. Next time it might change and I'll do the expert.Hopefully I've made the right choice...felt good!

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
There seemed to be quite a few guys on ebikes at Llandegla when we went there. It’s an ideal spot for them. I’m sure you will soon find some pals.

Darcy

Nov 23, 2018
Watford
Hey folks,

First time forum post so hello to you all :)

I'm looking for some advice regarding my first emtb purchase.

I'm 6' 3" who weights roughly around 120kg (big chap). I usual ride trails like Llandegla and Whinlatter but I also need something that I can use when my fiance wants to ride the canal paths. I dont tend to do massive jumps or drops, I just like going fast over the rough stuff!

I'm in a very lucky position to get my hands on a XL 2019 Kenevo Expert (although its over my budget), however my original plan was to get a XL Levo Comp (when back in stock).

Just looking for some guidance really from folk with experience with the Kenevo/Levo who are close to my size, weight and do similar riding.

From watching vids and reading reviews I know the Kenevo is pimp ass bike and would be perfect for bigger chap and the rough stuff but I'm really wondering if the Keveno is to much bike and i'd be ok sticking to my guns and getting the Levo.

I think i'm basically worried about snapping the Levo hahah

Also anyone had issues with the coil like the thread about it rusting...?

Cheers guys,

Looking forward to getting out there with some EPower with you all!!

J
I am smae height and 140kg. Have the levo and its outstanding. I dont do big drops and jumps but do ride her in anger at afan and trails like that but also live in watford so most of my rides is canal path and bridleway. Its awesome for both and think the kenevo is more than you need. Cheers Darcy

LeBigjh

Mar 4, 2019
North West uk
I am smae height and 140kg. Have the levo and its outstanding. I dont do big drops and jumps but do ride her in anger at afan and trails like that but also live in watford so most of my rides is canal path and bridleway. Its awesome for both and think the kenevo is more than you need. Cheers Darcy
Cheers for the reply Darcy. I've just pre ordered the Levo! I can't wait to get out there and ride. The Kenevo was ace to ride but it's definitely more of DH bike and as much as I love doing that kinda riding...the Levo was definitely the better option for the all rounder in me.

Glad ur enjoying ur Levo. I love afan! Can't wait hit those hills on mine.

J

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Sounds like you'll be fine on the Levo. I'm 6'5" and 120kg and my 19 Comp Levo is perfect for the trail riding I do, reasonably quick but no major jumps or tricks. I was concerned about the 28 spoke wheels on the bike (i've had 36 spokes back wheels built on previous bikes) but after five months they are still dead straight and evenly tensioned. I'd also recommend inserts for the tyres to protect the rims and keep the tyres more stable - I had Cush Cores fitted by the shop and run 20 psi front and 24 in the rear. Enjoy the ride!

LeBigjh

Mar 4, 2019
North West uk
Sounds like you'll be fine on the Levo. I'm 6'5" and 120kg and my 19 Comp Levo is perfect for the trail riding I do, reasonably quick but no major jumps or tricks. I was concerned about the 28 spoke wheels on the bike (i've had 36 spokes back wheels built on previous bikes) but after five months they are still dead straight and evenly tensioned. I'd also recommend inserts for the tyres to protect the rims and keep the tyres more stable - I had Cush Cores fitted by the shop and run 20 psi front and 24 in the rear. Enjoy the ride!
Cheers for the recommendations, I will defo look into this. Sounds like we do similar levels of riding. After a crash I had, I chicken out on anything big haha.

Cant wait to enjoy the ride...18 day and counting!

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Cheers for the recommendations, I will defo look into this. Sounds like we do similar levels of riding. After a crash I had, I chicken out on anything big haha.

Cant wait to enjoy the ride...18 day and counting!
Yeah, I pretty much always take the "mortgage line", can't afford a crash.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Range wise you can expect anything from 30-50km depending on the climbing. I've done 35k rides with 880m of uphill (some in Turbo for really steep pitches) and used 95%, and then other rides on flatter tracks only use 60% for the same distance. Looking to get a 700wh battery as soon as i can.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles