Best Way To Carry E Bike by Car?

Trail Doug

Nov 22, 2018
Wrexham
Exactly the rack I use Akiwi. Had 3 40lb DH bikes on it with no problem so 2 ebikes with batteries on will be more than fine, I also wouldnt be afraid to put 3 on with the batteries off as lond as the lightest was furthest away from the car. Got a towball fitted to the wall in the garage with 20mm bolts and I sit on the middle of it over the number plate quite frequently. It took my weight even when I was 125kg.

Last edited:

G-Bru

Jan 8, 2019
United Kingdom
Just a heads up for those of you who transport your bikes on racks and trailers. Always make sure you're not being followed, you stand the risk of becoming an easy target for thieves if they know where you live. eBikes are fast becoming popular amongst these scumbags, so have your wits about you when travelling home.

Trail Doug

Nov 22, 2018
Wrexham
Just a heads up for those of you who transport your bikes on racks and trailers. Always make sure you're not being followed, you stand the risk of becoming an easy target for thieves if they know where you live. eBikes are fast becoming popular amongst these scumbags, so have your wits about you when travelling home.
Same goes if you put them in a van as people I know have learnt!

G-Bru

Jan 8, 2019
United Kingdom
Same goes if you put them in a van as people I know have learnt!

Agree Doug! Some of these unsavoury characters take it to a whole new level and place cheap GPS trackers on your vehicle whilst you're out riding.... People think I have lost something when they see me grovelling around in the mud/dirt searching for foreign devices attached to the under carriage!

Tucker

Apr 12, 2018
Hull
i bought a 400quid Citroën xsara Picasso, took all the rear seats out and I can happily fit 2 ebikes in there with shed loads of kit, only take the front wheel off and they stand up inside it.

super handy car use it for all the shitty jobs/ don't have to worry about getting it mucky or scratching it etc. just use and abuse

Yonkk

Jan 10, 2019
usa
Fat ebikes on Hollywood racks 120 miles also 16 hour round trip to beach $400.00 /www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Racks-Sportrider-Electric-Bikes/dp/B007JCGG0A/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=Hollywood+racks&qid=1551307465&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A1GPIFLIQT8917
rack.JPG

rack1.JPG

Last edited:

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
This i think is prob the simple cleanest hitch rack i have ever seen.
Not to mention the only expanding receiver i have noticed so zero wobble in the hitch
I just took a pic of it wasn’t mine.
1F0563D1-F1A8-4C1A-BD4D-8D54F64A6B6F.jpeg
3DB5395C-9FEF-4A0B-A14E-C1CF8329A09E.jpeg

Mine is a truck bed mount, the tail gate bad wasn’t conducive to my dirt road driving, i don’t slow down for bumps.
3E48B434-EA41-46B5-BC60-9DE795B57F59.jpeg
3E48B434-EA41-46B5-BC60-9DE795B57F59.jpeg

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
Best way is to have a car big enough to put the bike inside. I have been using a motorcycle carrier that bolts to the tow bar but I don't like using it.

KRolo

Dec 1, 2018
fullsail25
Very nice. Is that snow in the background? We have had more snow than ever this month. I use a Thule Classic platform hitch rack which makes for easier loading and unloading.they have bigger front tire trays you can switch to fit larger wheels.
View attachment 10932 [/QUOTE]

DrKrown

Dec 11, 2018
Italy
DBF59124-6123-4AA0-BB58-0F004124B0A1.jpeg

I use a Thule XT and I love it, I set it up in one minute, it carries three bikes so I can travel with my friends or family with just one car.
Moreover, mud and dirt stays outside and I can wash the bikes at the carwash on the way back, without unload em! :cool:

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Similar to last post, I use a Thule, slightly different model.

Thule 9034XTS T2 Pro XT - 50mm Receiver (Silver) 2 Bike Carrier - Thule Australia

It's expensive, but really sturdy. I didn't want to ever see my bike bouncing down the road, and wanted to be able to 4x4 to places to ride if I wanted. Also accomodates plus tyres. The light bar available separately could be improved because it doesn't attach neatly - but does the job and I've rigged it up satisfactorily. I figure I'll be ebiking for many years, so a worthy investment.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Similar to last post, I use a Thule, slightly different model.

Thule 9034XTS T2 Pro XT - 50mm Receiver (Silver) 2 Bike Carrier - Thule Australia

It's expensive, but really sturdy. I didn't want to ever see my bike bouncing down the road, and wanted to be able to 4x4 to places to ride if I wanted. Also accomodates plus tyres. The light bar available separately could be improved because it doesn't attach neatly - but does the job and I've rigged it up satisfactorily. I figure I'll be ebiking for many years, so a worthy investment.

Zed, have you seen the isi carrier? For Australians wanting 4x4 ability they are pretty impressive.

iSi Advanced 4x4 Bicycle Carriers | Extreme Duty | Offroad | Cars | 4x4 | Caravans and Camper Trailers

I tossed up between them and my vertical shingleback, eventually settling on the shingleback because it's less obtrusive when there are no bikes aboard . I'm still not 100 % certain I made the right choice because the isi can be folded down even with bikes on board ( I need to inload the bikes before folding down the shingleback if I want rear door access )

Shingleback Rack - Shingleback Off Road

Reactions: Zed

Al-Rider

Oct 14, 2018
Lisboa, Portugal
I would like to buy a Thule thruride for the ability to lock the bike when you want to stop for a coffee or a beer, but my bike weighs 18kg without the battery and front wheel. The Thule website states 17kg as the loading capacity. Don't know if going 1kg above the capacity is risking or not. Anyone else has experience with the thruride for ebikes?

Mattwilko92

Aug 22, 2018
Staffordshire, UK
I would like to buy a Thule thruride for the ability to lock the bike when you want to stop for a coffee or a beer, but my bike weighs 18kg without the battery and front wheel. The Thule website states 17kg as the loading capacity. Don't know if going 1kg above the capacity is risking or not. Anyone else has experience with the thruride for ebikes?

I use the thule thruride. It feels solid. I would probably not be worried about an extra kilo however you must be comfortable with the risk.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Are there any tow bar carriers that can handle 3 ebikes, all weighing about 22 kg each?

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Anyone got a vw caddy? I’m thinking of buying one but would appreciate others views please

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
North shore rack works well. Set the height and angle and it’s still ez to access the truck box or car hatch

E4C9241F-2ECA-4699-A791-1470555BE272.jpeg

E62E33AC-59B5-4BB9-A2E5-F059ECF79179.jpeg

Reactions: Dax

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Zed, have you seen the isi carrier? For Australians wanting 4x4 ability they are pretty impressive.

That's an impressive looking carrier! I think I might have issues with the oversized tire stuck on the back of my Grand Vitara, but honestly I'm not into seriously 4WDing at the moment it'd be overkill. Nice bit of kit though...

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
That's an impressive looking carrier! I think I might have issues with the oversized tire stuck on the back of my Grand Vitara, but honestly I'm not into seriously 4WDing at the moment it'd be overkill. Nice bit of kit though...

They fit pajeros so can cope with stupid rear mounted tyres. More importantly, isi are approachable if you want something special

Now, how about some pics of suzy in action? ( carrying bikes to remain on topic)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles