Best storage solution for tools/water recommendation

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Hey guys,

Just trying to work out the best way to carry tools, water etc.

Should we focus more on weighting the rider or the bike, perhaps rider since the bike is easier to handle?

I’d seen items like:

Lezyne Flow Storage Bottle Cage

5859C2D2-3C4C-451C-AC12-5DA5915AA26B.jpeg

HYSENM Waterproof Large Capacity Bicycle Triangle Bag Road Mountain Bike Cycling Front Frame Top Tube Pouch 5L 8L
evoc Unisex_Adult Hip Pack Pro 3l + 1, 5l Bladder Pocket
Raptor 14
3AB71B0D-D802-4FAC-A9F5-6E41933273DD.jpeg

I do venture to bike parks and have XC days so maybe there isn’t a one glove fits all approach but be good to hear what’s been working for you guys

TIA

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
One vote here for the hip pack, I've got something similar and it definitely helps keep you cooler in the warmer months as your back is free to feel the breeze. I come from a motorbike trail riding background and always had a Camelback of some sort and started to get heat rash on my back in summer.
Mine holds all my tools, pump, keys, has room for some snacks and holds 2lts of water as well. Took a little time to get used to the hose, as in, hooking it back on the belt once you've finished drinking, but eventually muscle memory kicks in and all's good.

IndigoUnicorn

E*POWAH Master
Sep 17, 2020
Las Cruces, NM
I have the Osprey Raven 10 (the women’s version of the Raptor) and I freaking LOVE IT.

2.5L of water, a small first aid kit, packable jacket, snacks, AND tools. Is perfect.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
I’ve got a dakine 10ltr hydration pack, keep the bare minimum in this and it’s so comfy don’t really notice it. I tend to put a litre max of water in it. As don’t need more really on even longest of rides.

I keep all my tools and spares etc in a tool stash on the drink holder.

I’d rather land on a water bladder than a multi tool kicking about my rucksack ?

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
When i got the bike i initially just threw on the lezyne bottle cage and the tool bottle caddy type thing. that was fine but i don't mind wearing a backpack so got one of these.
1624398557805.png

It allows you to carry most of what you would need on a 3-5 hour cycle (realistic range on my bike) along with 2L in a hydration pack with the obvious bonus of having the back protection there and some good support around the waist.

If i was doing anything a bit more off the beaten path then i would probably do a combination of the two keeping as many metal/solid objects in the tool caddy and all the softer things in the backpack.

Everyone's approach to what they feel they need is different. For me when i'm out in the hills i try to make sure i have:
2x spare inner tube (run tubeless)
2x tyre levers
2x co2 cartridge
2 chain power links
small pump
Mix of cable ties + small snips
small needle nosed pliers
1x multitool
1624399007134.png

and to add to that i would like to get and start taking the tubless repair patches, although the ideal solution for that may be the muc off ones that can be stored in the grips if you have end caps.

The above list may seem excessive but i'd rather be able to get back to the car than walk back. Been on enough trips with people that have ended early due to mechanical failure.

When i go to bike parks i normally just empty the majority of this into my car along with track pump, spare tyre, spare chain etc and then have the option of using my top with protection or just the bag with phone + keys in.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I carry everything on the bike, mostly. For longer rides I'll take a hip pack with a pump/bladder and a few extra spares. For all day events I have an EVOC e-Ride pack with battery sleeve for clothes/camera etc.

I use:

EDC tool in the headset.
tube under the seat.
quicklink taped to the brake cable.
2x CO2 (32gram) next to water bottle (750ml).
Patches for tube and a tyre boot in my pocket.
Cable ties in the handlebar.

That'll get me back to the car..... I have more stuff there if I need it

Gordon

RustyIron

Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
For most emtb rides and acoustic rides of 15 miles/1500 feet or less, I get by with a water bottle, and a tiny seat bag that holds two CO2 cannisters, a multitool, and a plug kit. For longer rides, I'll use my Camelbak. Their bite valves are the best, never leak, and their stuff is guaranteed forever.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I had been using a Mountainsmith waist pack the last year to carry stuff (which works great) - but recently bought some Wolftooth B-RAD TekLite Roll-Top Bags (one of each size 0.6l and 1.0l).

1624404096301.png

Now I carry everything I need in one of those strapped to the downtube, a bottle on the bike, and a phone in my pocket. Seems great in the warmer weather :)

The only thing I'd say is that the strap on the 0.6l bag is too short - so I use the 0.6l bag with the longer strap from the 1.0l one.

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
I have the Raptor 14 and it's brilliant.So comfy you really don't notice it so use it on all rides even 3 miles to the pub.It recently won best in test with one of the mags.Really useful tool roll and plenty of storage.They even sent me a buckle clip FOC when mine broke after 7 years use

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
It all depends on how much you want to carry ..I'm an "everything but the kitchen sink " kind of rider and for that reason wouldnt hesitate to recommend the Camelbak HAWG ( Holds A lot of Water and Gear )..Ive had 2 in the last 20 years ( ?) ..more pockets & pouches than you can throw a stick at ..
The latest incarnation even has a pocket for a spare ebike battery ...although the price has virtually doubled since I last bought mine ..?

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
It just depends. Work out what you need and put it in something…!

A quick spin round the local doesn’t need more that a bottle of juice in the cage and a way of fixing a flat strapped to the frame. A big day out needing a second battery and all the rest in winter needs a decent dedicated battery carrying pack with a back protector (and I say don’t jump carrying that, others don’t). In between type rides? A smaller pack, hip or back, you’ll soon not notice it. Shuttling? A bit like a trip to the local with all the junk in the van at the bottom maybe?

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
The same answer to why never ride alone…
Whatever your partner chose to carry theyrs ?
Just in case, I tie a camera to the frames and carry a chainbreaker and link and co2 on a small saddlebag.
I ride on hot weather, so any kind of waist or backpack gets to smell, so I wear jerseys eith bacpack pokets.

EMTBNewbie

Jun 14, 2021
California
When I ride my enduro I bring a ton of stuff, but when I ride my EMTB, I bring only the multi tool that comes with the bottle cage. Is there anything else I should be bringing? I’ve always had tubeliss setup on my bikes and have yet to get a massive rip in the tire that makes it go flat, but I guess it’s possible. Do you guys carry a tube just in case when running tubliss?

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
When I ride my enduro I bring a ton of stuff, but when I ride my EMTB, I bring only the multi tool that comes with the bottle cage. Is there anything else I should be bringing? I’ve always had tubeliss setup on my bikes and have yet to get a massive rip in the tire that makes it go flat, but I guess it’s possible. Do you guys carry a tube just in case when running tubliss?
You need to be able to get going again or help a waif on the trail to do that. The two necessities are a way of fixing a chain (which I forgot about in post above) and a way of fixing a tear in the carcass which happens sometimes and means an inner tube, even if tubeless, a way of getting the tyre off and a way of pumping it back up again. I take this even to the local for either me or a waif on the trail ?

EMTBNewbie

Jun 14, 2021
California
First Aid Kit :) I think only one person listed that so far. But I’m always surprised by how many people don’t have one.

That I do bring, mine’s actually a cross of a trauma/first aid kit that I switch between my enduro hydration pack and EMTB pack. My wife went down early this year and broke a bone, the bandage wrap allowed me to stabilize her arm enough to get to an ER and get a cast for put on without putting her in to much pain.

As far as tools, I think I’m convinced to carry a patch kit now then, and maybe a tube/tire wrenches to put In just in case. As far as a tube goes, is having one generic big size okay to put in smaller tires in a pinch? On my enduro, general rule is to make the spare tube size of your largest tire and if it goes in a smaller wheel just fold/don’t inflate it all the way. Wonder if it’s the same EMTB.

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
You need to be able to get going again or help a waif on the trail to do that. The two necessities are a way of fixing a chain (which I forgot about in post above) and a way of fixing a tear in the carcass which happens sometimes and means an inner tube, even if tubeless, a way of getting the tyre off and a way of pumping it back up again. I take this even to the local for either me or a waif on the trail ?

I also have an old credit card to help plug the hole in the tyre wall and stop the tube blowing through

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia

I've had one small tear that couldn't be plugged. Tube saved my arse and got me home (actually rode the rest of the day). So I will always carry one. I splurged on a tubilito which is almost invisible under my saddle.

Gordon

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
I run a sort of hip pack at the moment but due to being a fat bastard, it hangs quite low on my hips. I have to do the belt up quite tight which gets uncomfortable.

I’m quite tempted by the Road Runner Burrito bag because it would fit in the space under the stem and bars.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I have a Syncros Matchbox for short trips and trail centre riding There are a couple of variations available but it's very compact and neat. The EDC looks good but I didn't fancy the faff with the head tube and in any case I needed/wanted a pump.

Al

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I have a Syncros Matchbox for short trips and trail centre riding There are a couple of variations available but it's very compact and neat. The EDC looks good but I didn't fancy the faff with the head tube and in any case I needed/wanted a pump.

Al

You could use the EDC pump and attach it to your water bottle cage. Tool fits inside the pump.

Gordon

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Well, this has got me looking at stuff to buy — thanks ? Has anybody got experience of the 76Projects stuff (www.76Projects.com)?

63907B87-29D9-4F2D-9B06-800AA3707E0B.jpeg

The carriers called “Piggy“ and “Little Piggy“ and the two little bags called “Piggy Dry Bag” and “Piggy Zip Bag” have caught my attention for storage in the region of the down-tube bottle rack on a big framed bike (Bullit).

Last edited:

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Yep. I have a little piggy on my gravel bike and use their Garmin top tube mounts on my eMTB. Good products, if not a little pricey for what they are.

Gordon

EezyRider

Sep 23, 2020
Lincolnshire
You guys travel light....
I have an osprey tool roll (came with one of my packs). I switch this between packs and waist pack.
In this I have:

Multi tool with chain splitter.
Tyre plugs and applicator.
Various cable ties.
Spare gear cable!
Short length of gear cable c. 100mm long (this can be used to set the mech to give a gear of your choosing).
2x Co2 canisters.
Surgical gloves.
Trial size bottle of “Squirt”.
An “Altoids” tin (with patches of gorilla tape stuck to lid and length of narrower tape wrapped around outside of basecontaining:
Couple of tubeless valves.

Valve core & valve core remover.
Several quicklinks (various speeds).
Razor blade.
Tyre boot.
Glueless patches.
Co2 inflator head
Spare mech hanger

probably a few other little bits but my memory fails me.

Depending where I’m riding and how big the ride is, I have a spare tube, tyre levers and another 2 Co2 canisters in an old tent peg bag that straps on my frame (trust me, in the UK, water and grit don’t bode well for anything left exposed).
Shorter local summer rides or if not too far from car I use Evoc hip pack,
On a big or remote ride I would use a pack, either Osprey raptor 14 or Evoc Eride. Pack would also have small pump, small bottle of tyre sealant, small case containing spare contact lenses, paracetamol/ibruprofen and salt tablets. Maybe a small power bank and phone cable for the bigger rides.

1st aid pack with a couple of eyewash pods and betadine/iodine.

Usually carry a couple of gels but never use them really so they go out of date.

clothing to suit season/forecast and location.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles