Best shock pump?

Changleen

Jan 18, 2020
Acquiring
Any opinions about the easiest to use and most precise shock pump out there? I have three or four, and one of those adaptors that are supposed to make them loose less pressure on removal. Still, I often loose (at least consistently) 5-6psi on the rear shock every time. The worst (old Marz thing) looses 10+. Am I missing something amazing or am I just expecting too much?

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
You're not technically losing it from the shock when you disconnect, you're losing it from the pump, and when you connect the pump again, a small amount goes into it's hose. It should be easy to keep track of whats happening.

Under pressure! 15 shock pumps in review | ENDURO Mountainbike Magazine

Out of all that lot, my heart was set on the Leyzine (just look at it!), but I think the Fox 600psi would be the one I'd go for.

Bryan Wells

Jul 31, 2019
Washington
the best i could possibly imagine would be to use any shock pump but through a ShockWiz, there you can find perfect sag numbers and such because it takes your overall ride height from the entire ride into account. no more using o-ring sliders. We rent them in my bike shop with great success.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
I bought a Syncros SP1.0 on the back of the ENDURO review, no regrets and no pressure loss 'thingy' actually works.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I use the “Lezyne digital shock drive” and can’t fault it. Once you go digital, you will never go back.
It’s also great for my Spesh Command post that requires up to 5-15psi, as 8psi is the sweet spot. Too hard to read precisely on an analog gauge.

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
I've contemplated grabbing a digital gauge to make the process a little easier, quicker and more accurate but i just can't fault my Topeak Pocketshock DXG - zero leakage from the valve with the design on this one too.

coggbike

Jul 24, 2019
California
After a lot of research, I went with this: RockShox High-Pressure Bicycle Shock Pump, 300 PSI Max. I think it works great. I agree with the folks who comment about digital - accurate, easy to read.

I also believe it’s a fallacy that you loose air when you remove the pump on just about any pump. The lower reading you get when you reconnect is because air goes into the pump tube, not because you lost air when you disconnected it the last time.

9FFDF4B6-9290-4DFC-AFBF-591083ED15DB.jpeg

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Whether the pump is digital or analog, always use the same pump. With time, you will learn how much pressure you need.
The choice between models is yours, you choose what you like.

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
I also believe it’s a fallacy that you loose air when you remove the pump on just about any pump. The lower reading you get when you reconnect is because air goes into the pump tube, not because you lost air when you disconnected it the last time.

I have been told by garage mechanics a number of times over the years, that when you disconnect an airline from your car tyre you lose between 1 and 2 lbs/sq in, so I always pump them up a couple of pounds higher to allow for this.

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
I have been told by garage mechanics a number of times over the years, that when you disconnect an airline from your car tyre you lose between 1 and 2 lbs/sq in, so I always pump them up a couple of pounds higher to allow for this.

A car tire has much more volume. Have you ever put the gauge right back on to confirm this high a drop?

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
I have four shock pumps: RockShox, ShockMate, SKS Digital, and an Amazon cheapie. They all work fine.

My 2018 Haibike Allmtn 8.0 came with WP/Magura' short-lived, USD Boltron fork. When I first tried to pump it, only the ShockMate registered any pressure from it.

All three other pumps showed zero PSI - my LBS guys thought I had a defective fork! :unsure: 1k miles later, said fork is still holding air and working well...

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
I have a Specialized combined shock and tyre pump I bought about 13 years ago.
It is compact and works well in both modes.
It is ideal to carry on rides whilst setting up a new bike, as you have the ability to adjust your shock as well as your tyres without having to carry 2 pumps.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles