Best flat pedals?? Opinions please

Julio

Dec 21, 2018
New Zealand
You are probably better to google best flat pedals...

DMR Vaults consistently rate and review well.

I have a set of Straitline Defacto pedals from their factory sceonds in their online store. Fully rebuidable and really grippy.

Also a set of Chromag Contacts. 6 years old, thrashed, never rebuilt, still spinning freely...

Good luck!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The Crank Brothers are not that grippy, which I believe is down to the diamiter and length of the pins, they are stubbier than other brands, and as such don't stick into shoes as well. Its a shame as I really like the shape of the pedals, although only the higher end ones are concave.

If you are on a budget, the best cheap pedals I have found are the HT PA03, big platform body, plastic so takes hit well and light, and great pins:

HT PA03A flat pedal review - MBR

smokey_jo

Patreon
Jun 28, 2018
Uk
Nukeproof electrons are very grippy and slim, in a have to lift your foot to reposition way! Hope f20 feel good under foot, nice and slim too but not as grippy

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
I’m running DMR Vault and Nukeproof Horizon pedals on two bikes they are both absolutely awesome, bomb proof and their rebuild kits are very cheap. Hard to tell which one is better if I had to give up one I would keep the Vault maybe it’s slightly more concave than the Nukeproof.
Superstar Components is coming out with a new pedal in the coming weeks it’s worth a look but their existing series is good too.

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Always been happy with various DMR. Plenty grippy when matched to 5-10s (or similar).

I've had a couple of pairs of DMR v6 (the resin bodies) and been less impressed by them. Very stiff movement, and one pair died after ~2000 miles. But they are £12....

DMR v8 and above, love 'em. You can either go budget or pay more for a more refined looking pedal.

Agreed the Stamps look good if you're feeling spendy.

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
Sorry r120 this is very rare for me but on this occasion I have to disagree with you on the stamps
I’ve just bought the stamps in large and I got a new pair of 5/10 impacts. The grip with these two combined was ridiculous, I had to seriously wind the pins in on the pedals as I just couldn’t reposition my feet quickly enough. With the pins adjusted the combination of the two I find excellent now.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Sorry r120 this is very rare for me but on this occasion I have to disagree with you on the stamps
I’ve just bought the stamps in large and I got a new pair of 5/10 impacts. The grip with these two combined was ridiculous, I had to seriously wind the pins in on the pedals as I just couldn’t reposition my feet quickly enough. With the pins adjusted the combination of the two I find excellent now.
Agree i have just done exactly the same

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
No probs - I think the thing is pedals are quite personal - I actually still ride the Stamps on my Sommett as I love the pedal shape, and I actually don’t like to be “stuck” to the pedal as I move my feet around a lot so they work well for me, but nothing like as grippy with my 5Tens as my other pedals ( One Up, various HT, and DMR’s) from my experience.

On the HT’s I actually take out half the pins to get the feel I want, whereas on the Stamps I fitted the longer pin kit

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I dont like them too grippy either but I am still trying to make my mind up if I like clips or flats best

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
A lot of it has to do with the shoe.

I have Specialized 2FO’s which I love in terms of fit and protection, but are nothing like as grippy as my 5Tens - on the crank brothers they can bounced off quite a lot, whereas with the 5Ten freeriders the grip is a lot better.

If I could combine the Specialized shoe with the 5Ten sole I would be a happy man

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Totally biased but honest answer
Burgtec Penthouse Flats. Grippiest pedals i have ever tried. I have tried a few different pedals over the years but after I tried Burgtec's I've never run anything else (this was before I started working with them) Obviously I'm biased but honestly they are the best I've tried.

Burgtec Penthouse Flats

burgtec-products-1.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Totally biased but honest answer
Burgtec Penthouse Flats. Grippiest pedals i have ever tried. I have tried a few different pedals over the years but after I tried Burgtec's I've never run anything else (this was before I started working with them) Obviously I'm biased but honestly they are the best I've tried.

Burgtec Penthouse Flats

View attachment 9665
Do you know the platform dimensions?

Koo

Nov 11, 2018
Finland
The question on most of these pedals is that how deep you want these pins on your shins :)

-K ( running crankbrothers stamp 3 large, extremely satisfied )

eabmex

Patreon
Jun 8, 2018
Guadalajara, Mexico
On my regular bike I use DMR Vaults, when I got the Levo I found local great deal on the Raceface Atlas, I actually feel the shape of the Atlas is less prone to pedal strikes but both are great!

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
It’s hard to stray away from the ultrathins after you’ve been on them. My ht ae03 didn’t last long enough(bushing/bearing wear). Current fave is Canfield bros pedals. Tough, great feel, good price, and stuck on them. They have a couple models with one being a bit bigger. I went with the latest with the bearing.Hearing unconfirmed rumours they may have shutdown. Unfortunate as I like they’re bikes and parts are are known for their customer service. If I can’t get another set, I’ll be getting something from “one up components”. Either the composite or aluminium. Feel is extra plantedonthe thins. Foot is less inclined to roll

Mathias Levo

Nov 2, 2018
Colchester
Thanks for all your replies, I'll check the burtecs out, hadn't heard much about these before, I run composites on another bike but I find that because of the composite material thy have to put a captive nut on the other side of the stud and it always comes undone, most of the pins drop out, I hear people saying locktite them l but can't see the point as they're not easily swapped out when worn. I think I'll go with a ally pedal of some description ?

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
The question on most of these pedals is that how deep you want these pins on your shins :)

-K ( running crankbrothers stamp 3 large, extremely satisfied )

Shin guards always dude 20 odd stitches later and a gash 120mm long and I was wearing shin and knee pads at the time ?
Slipped a pedal when I was dirt jumping and think the impact just literally split my shin open.
Love my large stamps ??

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
You really have to ask yourself what you want from a pedal.
I had a few requirements when I was looking.
The pins had to be easily replaced even when the pins were damaged.
The platform had to be big for my size 12 hoof.
I did not want to feel the bulge of the pedal axle unde foot.
These were my main requirements so I went with DMR Vaults. 12 000km later and they are still going strong. It’s been fit and forget, apart from replacing bent and missing pins.

Mathias Levo

Nov 2, 2018
Colchester
The Vaults are probably going to be what I go for after all. Some of you guys have recommended them, good colour range and not bad at £60 odd quid ? Thanks again!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles