• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Best E-bike saddle?

Feb 5, 2019
Wales
This is like asking what the best partner to marry. Very subjective. Good luck.
There will be a range of saddles that do different things. If we isolate what those things are, then we can make an informed decision.

And also I know that Giant stores measure your behind with something like a memory foam seat.

I for one understand that an Ebike saddle will offer increased support for the climbing we do.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've got an Ergon eBike saddle and it's very comfortable compared to the Trek razor blade that was on the bike before. I knew it was comfortable before I bought one because I swapped bikes with my mate who has one and did as many miles as I could before he cried enough and demanded we swap back.
I don't notice any particular improvement when climbing over the OEM saddle though.

However, this is the best reply you'll get;
The best saddle is the one that sits together with your ass ;)

I did a proper saddle fit for my road bike and the saddle recommended by the bike shop was a vast improvement over the stock saddle on that too but I do have fairly wide sit bones so was well outside the parameters for a middle of the road OEM saddle.

I've got a Flite Titanium from back in the day and it was awesome but I wouldn't even consider fitting to my current bike.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
If you want to try something different, go visit the Rido saddle website. They seem to think outside of the box as far as saddle designs are concerned.

Have a look at the R2 model... perhaps you could let us know how you get on with it - if you're keen to try something new?

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 8.48.22 AM.png

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I chose Ergon because they give the option of 2 saddle sizes with measurements and their larger size is right for me. I tried the SMC Sports Gel and the SM E Mountain ( e bike specific) . The former is more comfortable and with a slightly higher quality cover, and very nearly the same shape as the SM E Mountain. Both have ramped sections at the back of the saddle and a decent front section to provide support for climbing. I use the Sports Gel on my trail bike and the E Mountain on my Enduro bike.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
I have 2 different Ergon emtb specific saddles that I am very pleased with On my Specialized Turbo Levo S-Works, I have the Ergon SM E Mountain Sport. It has a little lip in the rear that really lends itself well for climbing. Since I set-up my Spesh for long days in the saddle with lots of climbing, this is the perfect saddle. Very comfortable and didn't even need a break in period. For my YT Decoy Elite, I have the Ergon SM E Mountain Sport. Its more flat and has a smaller profile. My Decoy is set-up more for Enduro and DH rides and this saddle allows you to slide backwards and forward without getting caught up on your shorts. It took a few rides to break in but very comfortable once you do. As others have stated, be sure to get the right size. Not all LBS's have the measuring device to measure your sit bones. You can find videos in YouTube to do it yourself at home. I've found components that are touch points (saddle, pedals, grips) are a matter of personal preference. What's best for one may not be best for another. The industry seems to be taking "emtb" specific components a little far. Owned many acoustic mtbs over the years with all types of different brand/level of quality. Have found emtb specific wheels, cassettes, tires and saddles to be value added.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Madison Flux isn't identical to the Charge Spoon. They're both made by the same factory (velo) and share the same shape but there are subtle differences between the two .Most noticably the Spoon's padding is softer.

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
I'm on an SMP Hybrid saddle.

This is the first saddle I've dared to take on metric century without chamois (62+ mile, 6+ hour ride). I'm not even used to such long efforts. An epic effort was a 3-4 hour rolling time for me, which I'd do maybe once a week. With this saddle, I've made 4-5 hours rolling time seem normal. Not being limited by saddle discomfort is sort of liberating.

Some might have some prejudice against saddles with thick padding, relating them to newbie saddles. The padding of this is firm and supportive enough to not have a problem with chafing. This is still narrow enough to not get in the way of getting pumping and getting behind the saddle.

I've now been chamois-free for almost 2 years and 6000+ miles. As far as I'm concerned, a chamois is a padded saddle topper that you attach to your butt rather than the saddle. The chamois is not very breathable compared to a thin baselayer; what it wicks, it holds/absorbs like a diaper. Moist = clammy. It's like breathing through a cloth mask that is damp. It starts flapping with your breath (less breathable). It also is a biohazard like that cloth mask. It doesn't get disinfected by going through a wash cycle, even if set to hot (which likely damages the garment). I think people ignore this since they can tolerate their own funk--I doubt people would handle other people's "cleaned" chamois without gagging without being ignorant or very trusting. Feels liberating to not have to change clothes, at least not down to bare-naked-ass, able to just go on spontaneous rides, which possibly can turn into an epic.

TBH, I got this saddle since I figured I'd go full geek on my ebike since the ebike already gets enough disdain. I would've been too embarrassed to try it otherwise. Big padded saddle, fenders, reflectors, handlebar accessories (big headlights and large bell), bike lock, plain clothes, no bike washing... I ended up keeping things this way, as life's way better. No fooling anyone that I'm some athlete. The bike's just a tool for utility. I stopped my "asshole" ways, such as acting like I'm in a hurry to get somewhere; I ride slower and more defensively, rather than selfishly. I've been able to notice more about the world around me and appreciate more of it. I totally understand those "SUV" ebikes now (FS emtbs with full fenders, racks, spec'd for long haul rides).

Last edited:

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I’ve spent so much time researching saddles, probably bought and tried about half a dozen. All of them had fantastic reviews, but none of them were for me. In the end, I gave up and went back to the stock seat on my Cube, which isn’t brilliant.

On my Whyte, I’ve gone with an SQ Labs seat, and that in itself was a head scratcher, as they do about 5000 options!

So, the best option is to buy from somewhere you can return easily, and just try a few out.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Not an ebike specific saddle ..but I've been sitting on top of an SDG Bel-air for over 14 years .. Ive had the i-beam version on a Nomad & 2 others but because I'm a tight arse ..(no pun intended ) Im using the stock saddle on my Whyte ..which is OK..and will replace it with one of these when it's knackered
I've a ti version on the T130 rs ..which I might swap over ..when my lads not looking ..?
Its a saddle I would recommend but it may not suit everyone ..

ReVolt

Jun 10, 2019
London
I've just ordered the ergon ebike core saddle. Should be arrive next week. My mondraker came with a sdg bel air 2.0 which is a good saddle but i do still have numb spots on long rides.
Wonder what the real world difference between the Sport version and the Core - the latter being almost double the price ??

MJR

May 12, 2020
USA
I have been very happy with my Serfas ICS saddle, after years of sub-optimal comfort on bikes i put that factor above all else for the Kenevo, and man, is it comfortable.
no idea how much it weighs, but don't need care about that anymore, and can ride all day with this thing, until the battery dies at least :LOL:

1000x1000_54d2aa35a6dd4.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles