• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Best Choice to Deristrict

Marc_250

Sep 20, 2019
UK
Is there an obvious 'goto' brand/motor to go for when purchasing a new ebike now to deristrict? I know Bosch is a no go for the moment so I guess it's between Shimano and Yamaha (or Giant)? Is one easier to deristrict than another and how does performance compare? My main concern is ending up with another bike that I can't tune.

MassDeduction

Dec 1, 2019
Victoria, BC
Is there an obvious 'goto' brand/motor to go for when purchasing a new ebike now to deristrict? I know Bosch is a no go for the moment so I guess it's between Shimano and Yamaha (or Giant)? Is one easier to deristrict than another and how does performance compare? My main concern is ending up with another bike that I can't tune.

Shimano E8000 motors (with either the E8000 screen, or the older E6010 screen) seem to be the obvious go-to from what I've been reading in these forums. It's reasonably powerful (70 Nm), reasonably lightweight, etc. It can be done entirely through software, no hardware dongle required, and with the correct speed and distance showing on the display, so long as you're content with 60 Km/h as the maximum. A killer feature of the E8000 motor is the ability to set different max speeds *for every level of assist*. So you can have a combination of street legal modes and over-powered modes. Another nice feature is the ability to also tweak the maximum torque, % assist ratio, and max wattage (and again, to do so independently for each level of assist). For the time being you will have to remain on an old firmware, and that may be a permanent state.

Again, all of this is with the max speed being tweaked to 60 km/h. Actually derestricting it would probably require a hardware dongle, but if you want to go faster than 60 km/h on an e-bike (when tires are typically rated for maximum speeds of 50 km/h, and other components are not even rated to go that fast) then you're braver than me! :)

An advantage to Shimano E8000 motor tuning is that it's a motor used by a wide variety of companies, so almost any form factor you want from super lightweight carbon road bike to super beefy mountain bike, with crosstrails and hybrids in between, are all available.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles